Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names - i - k

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns

Ida Street
Innisfail. Named for Ida See Poy, daughter of Tom and Mrs See Poy
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Ida Street
Cooktown. Named for the Ida Mine at Maytown
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E



Idaho Close
Cairns. White Rock. Named after the American State.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Idalia Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after the cutter Idalia, lost at sea in June 1886 after leaving Cairns to visit Green Island. No trace of the ship or its 8 passengers was ever found
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 223
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Iluka Street
Mareeba. Named about 1923, an Aboriginal term
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 40
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Imooya
Cape York Peninsula, on the Alice River Goldfield. Gold was found here by John Dickie in 1901. Aboriginal name meaning Sandy Place. It was suggested by Dickie as a name when a store and or Postal Receiving Service was established there.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 231
Jim McJannett, email correspondence, October 2011
Coordinates:
15 8 S 143 19 E



Imrie Creek
Atherton Tableland. Near Lake Eacham. Named after the Imrie family, whose property the Imrie Creek runs through. Dave Imrie & his family arrived in the district in September 1907
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 52, November 1980



Ina Court
Weipa. In honour of Ina (Phillipina) Hall (Nee Motton), who was born at the old Weipa Mission & has been a leading member of the Napranum Community
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Ina Creek
Western Cape York. Named in 1901 by Reverend Nicholas Hey
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 684



Inarlinga
Innisfail district. Aboriginal term, Indajingli, place for foot running
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13



Ince Point
Torres Strait. Wednesday Island. Named after Lieutenant Ince of HMS Fly who sailed here in 1844
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 154
Coordinates:
10 30 S 142 21 E



Indefatigable Entrance
Torres Strait. Named after the Indefatigable commanded by Captain M. Bowles who was in the area in 1815. It is not known if he used this entrance
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 388



Industrial Avenue
Cairns. Stratford. So named because this road runs through an industrial precinct
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Ingham
Named in 1878 after William Bairstow Ingham, an early sugar planter who settled in the district in 1873 and was the owner of the Ings (sugar) Plantation. He owned a small paddle steamer, Louisa in 1876 and moved to the Cairns district later that year. He was murdered in New Guinea in 1879
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 62
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 147
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E



Ingham Court
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after William Bairstow Ingham, an early sugar planter who settled in the Ingham district in 1873 and was the owner of the Ings (sugar) Plantation. He came to Cairns in August 1876 and set up the first sawmill in Cairns in May 1877 & sold out in 1878. He owned the steamers Louisa and Fitzroy. He was murdered in New Guinea in 1879 after being appointed in 1878 the agent at Port Moresby for the Queensland Government.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 129
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 131 & 146-147
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Injinoo
Originally known as Cowal Creek which was apparently a name given by the Jardines. The Cowal Creek Aboriginal settlement established here in 1913 was known as Cowal Creek after the river. It is now known as Injinoo, meaning to sit, i.e., to sit where they would settle. The name was changed from Cowal Creek to Injinoo in about 1988 at the request of the community. In the past Cowal Creek was also known as Cold Creek by the locals because of the temperature of the water in the creek
Source:
Personal communication with David Byrne
Coordinates:
10 54 S 142 20 E



Inkster's Passage
Hinchinbrook Channel. Named after Alexander Inkster of the Noah, who discovered this passage in the Hinchinbrook Channel in 1864
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E



Inman Rock
Great Barrier Reef, east of Shelburne Bay. Reported in 1892 by William A. Inman, a Torres Strait Pilot from 8 November 1891
Source:
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 40
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1973, p. 200



Innes Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Probably named for Captain W. Innes, who commanded the Zeus to ply river traffic to Smithfield in the late 1870s. He was an auditor for the elections for the Cairns Board held on 17 July 1880.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Innisfail
Originally named by George Dalrymple in 1873 as Nind's Junction Camp or Nind's camp after Philip Henry Nind (1831-1896), a settler of the Logan District who made his camp where Innisfail now stands & who joined Dalrymple's party at Dunk Island. He later returned south, becoming MLA for Logan, 1873-1875. Junction Point then became the accepted usage for the settlement, then Johnstone River. In 1883 the town was surveyed & named Geraldton after Thomas H. Fitzgerald, who in 1880 planted the area's first sugar cane. The town was re-named Innisfail in 1910 due to confusion of names with Geraldton in Western Australia, after a Russian cargo ship bound for the Western Australian town arrived in Innisfail! Named after Thomas H. Fitzgerald's home on his sugar plantation and his sugar mill which was named Innisfallen after his home in Ireland.
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 12
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 56, October 1963
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 138



Innisfail Estate
Innisfail. Suburb. Named after Fitzgerald's Innisfail sugar mill situated there
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 22
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Innot Hot Springs
Atherton Tableland. Discovered by pioneer cattleman Charles Overend Garbutt & a companion named Goodwith, circa 1882.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 115
Borland, Hugh A. Odds & Ends of Northern History. Cairns Post, 194-?
Coordinates:
17 40 S 145 14 E



Inskip Banks
Torres Strait. Endeavour Strait. Named after G.H. Inskip, a member of the ship Bramble in 1849
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 186



Inspection Hill
Gulf of Carpentaria. Sweers Island. Named by Matthew Finders of the Investigator on 17 November 1802. As per his diary entry for this date; "The coast to the southward was scarcely visible from the mast head, but land was seen to extend westward from the hill; in order to gain a better knowledge of what this land might be, I went on shore, taking instruments with me. The hill proved to be a mass of calcareous rock ... The hill obtained the name of Inspection Hill
Source:
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/discaust/NORTH2.HTM
Coordinates:
17 07 S 139 37 E



Investigator's Road
Gulf of Carpentaria, between Bentinck & Sweers Islands. Named by Matthew Flinders of the Investigator after his ship which passed through the channel on 21 November 1802. As per Flinder's diary entry for this date: "In Torres' Strait, the ship had leaked, but no anchorage, adapted to the purpose of caulking the bends, has presented itself until our arrival here. At dusk in the evening we anchored half a mile from the west sandy point of Sweer's Island. This anchorage between Bentinck's Island and Sweers Island, though it may not be called a port, is yet almost equally well sheltered, and I named it Investigator's Road; it has the appearance of being exposed between N.N.W. and N.E.½N.; but the rocks from each shore occupy nearly one half of the space, and the water is too shallow in the remaining part to admit any surge to endanger a ship."
Source:
Austin, K. A. The Voyage of the Investigator, 1964, p. 162
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/discaust/NORTH1.HTM



Ireland Crescent
Cairns. Manoora. Named for Francis Robertson Ireland. He settled in Cairns in 1905. He became a general motor car dealer in 1931, founding a company that still exists under his name. He built the Municipal Library in 1936. The name was approved by the Cairns City Council on 7 December 1987
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Irene Street
Cairns. Earlville/Kanimbla/Mooroobool. The original sub-division streets were named after female Christian names
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Irene Taylor Bridge
Coen. Named for Irene Taylor, a former member of the Cook Shire Executive Committee & Advisory Body; Official of the cattlemen's Union. She was a resident of Coen & a descendant of the pioneering Armbrust family
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Irvin Street
Gordonvale. Named after Wilson Irvin who settled in the area in 1898. he held the office of Director in the Mulgrave Mill Company for 27 years.
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E



Irvine Creek
Cape York. Named by Robert Logan Jack on 16 September 1879 after Duncan R. Irvine, a former colleague at the Scottish Geological Survey
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 506
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 71



Irvinebank
Atherton Tableland. Named after the birthplace of John Moffat, who was born at Newmilnes, on the Irvine River, Ayrshire, Scotland on 26 May 1841. He was a mining magnate and father of Irvinebank. He died on 28 June 1918. Originally called Gibbs' Camp after prospector Jimmy Gibbs who discovered tin here in 1881
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 127
Coordinates:
17 26 S 145 12 E



Isabel Street
Mareeba. Named about 1914 for Isabel Love. Her family had a property in the area
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 40
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Isabella Falls
Cairns. Collinson Creek, Edmonton area. Named by Thomas Swallow after his wife Isabel. On the McKinnon's Creek
Source:
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 89
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Isabella Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after the wife of Thomas Swallow, owner of the Hambledon Plantation. Her name was Isabel Swallow
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E



Ishmael Road
Cairns. Earlville. Named after William David Ishmael a councillor on the Mulgrave Shire from 1943-1951. The Ishmael family were cane farmers & owned the property adjoining this road
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 36
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Island Point
See Port Douglas



Islands of Direction
Great Barrier Reef, 24 km north-east of Cape Flattery. Named by Captain James Cook on 13 August 1770. After Cook found a passage through the reef from Lizard Island he wrote: "The three high Islands...I have called the Islands of direction because by them a safe passage may be found, even by strangers"
Source:
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 171
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Isle of Direction
Great Barrier Reef, due east of Cape Direction. So named as a guide to the Bligh Boat Entrance which Captain William Bligh used on 29 May 1789 to enter the Great Barrier Reef. Named by Captain Bligh
Source:
Gill, J.C.H. The Missing Coast, 1988, p. 109
Coordinates:
12 51 S 143 36 E



Isle of Pisonia
Gulf of Carpentaria. Near Mornington Island. Named by Matthew Flinders of the Investigator on 3 December 1802. As per his diary entry for that day: "saw a small island two leagues further out, one of the three laid down in the old chart near Cape van Diemen; it is thickly covered with wood, principally of that softish, white kind, whence it obtained the name of Isle Pisonia." Pisonia grandis or bird-catcher tree, is a native of sub-tropical and tropical regions, growing to a height of 10 m with a spread of 4 m.
Source:
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/discaust/NORTH2.HTM



Isley Hills
West of Edmonton. Named after Sub-Inspector John B. Isley of the Native Mounted Police who was in the Cairns district from 1877 to the late 1880s
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 301 & 308



Ismahil Road
Mareeba. Named on 17 August 1989 for Ismahil Adil, tobacco farmer from 1933
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 40
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Ivan Evans Track
Cairns. Woree. A walking track beginning at Eden Close near Toogood Road & ending at Creek Close. Named after Ivan Evand, a pioneer cane farmer who lived & worked in the area at the turn of the century
Source:
Cairns Sun 22 April 1998, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Ivy Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. In an estate with street names of a floral theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 36
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Ixora Court
Cairns. Mooroobool. In an estate with street names of a floral theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 36
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Izatt Close
Cairns. Edge Hill. Named after the sub-divider, Sam Izatt, who was a fruit merchant, in approximately 1974
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 36
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jacaranda Close
Cairns. Manunda. Named after jacaranda trees that grow in the area
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jacaranda Drive
Yungaburra. Named after a species of tree
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 35 E



Jacaranda Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E



Jack Fossey Park
Innisfail. Park in Innisfail alongside the river and Fitzgerald Esplanade. Named for prominent resident Jack Fossey, assistant to the Shire Clerk
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 23
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Jack River
Cape York Peninsula. Named after Robert Logan Jack by J.T. Embley in 1884
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 486 & 490



Jack's Nob
Cape York Peninsula. Named in 1885 by John T. Embley , possibly for Robert Logan Jack
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 646



Jackey Jackey Airport
Bamaga, Cape York Peninsula. Named after Jackey Jackey who accompanied Kennedy on his ill-fated 1848 expedition. previously known as Higginsfield



Jackey Jackey Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named by Robert Logan Jack in 1880 after Jackey Jackey who accompanied Edmund Kennedy on his ill-fated 1848 expedition
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 611



Jackson Creek
Dimbulah District. The Jackson family came to the district in 1878. George Jackson was the father of the family. The Jackson Creek was named in memory of this pioneer family
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 41



Jacky Jacky Street
Mission Beach. Named Jacky Jacky who accompanied explorer Edmund Kennedy on his ill fated 1848 expedition to Cape York
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Jacob Gabey Road
Yam Island, Torres Strait. Named for Jacob Gabey, the first Torres Strait Islander teacher appointed to Yam school when the European teacher left
Source:
Teske, Travis. Yam, 198-, p. 16
Coordinates:
9 53 S 142 45 E



Jacob's Knob
Cardwell District. Named after an Aboriginal man called Jacob.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Jacobsen Street
Mareeba. Named about 1934 for John Christian Jacobsen, watchmaker
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 41
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Jaffa
Innisfail district, south of Silkwood. Railway siding named after a Palestine engagement in that town during World war I
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13



Jaggan
Atherton Tableland, on the Millaa Millaa Railway line. Aboriginal term, believed to be scrub thick with lawyer vines. It was originally called Dinjarraburra, which could have referred to a large basalt rock in the area.
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14



Jago Street
Babinda. Named after William Jago, who with his wife Martha (daughter of Thomas Henry Parry of Gordonvale) settled in Babinda in 1914 and worked in the Babinda Mill as a fitter. They had previously been hotel keepers at Mangana and O.K. He died on 12 March 1959 aged 79 years and Martha died 18 January 1961 aged 74 years.
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



James Cook Drive
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Named in memory of Captain James Cook who sailed past here in June 1770
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



James Street
Cairns. Cairns North/Manunda. Named after H. J. James who was president of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce, 1921-1922, and also Manager of Cummins and Campbell Ltd
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 36
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



James Street
Mareeba. Named on 10 June 1933 for James Downs, in memory of his death from appendicitis.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 41
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Jamieson Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1976 for Walter Jamieson, a saw miller who died in 1915
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 42
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Jamieson Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Named for James (John) Jamieson, Proprietor (along with Dr Blair & W. Fehan) and manager of the Buchan Point Estate in the 1880s. This estate included the land where the suburb of Trinity Beach now is. The estate covered some 8 000 acres including 6 miles of beach frontage opposite Double Island.
Source:
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 63
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 156
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jane's Tableland
Cape York. According to Jack it was named by Captain Cook in 1770 on p. 160 but on p. 220 he says it was probably named by Captain Phillip Parker King in 1821! According to Horden it was already named when King arrived here in 1821, & was probably named by Lieutenant Charles Jeffreys
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 71
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 160 & 220
Horden, Marsden. King of the Australian Coast, 1997, p. 182
Coordinates:
14 30 S 144 08 E



Janet Range
Cape York Peninsula, south of the Pascoe River. Named by Robert Logan Jack in 1880 after his wife Janet Simpson Jack
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225



Janie Creek
Western Cape York. Named in 1895 by Reverend Nicholas Hey
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 684



Jansen Station
Cooktown railway. 12 km west of Cooktown. Opened in 1885. Named after S. Jansen, an old resident
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Knowles, J. W. The Cooktown Railway, 1966, p. 61



Janus Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. In the Forum estate where street names had a predominantly Roman theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Japoonvale
Innisfail district, west of Silkwood. Aboriginal term, anglicised for Japun, a local tribe
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13



Jardine River
Cape York Peninsula. Named for Frank & Alexander Jardine, who led an expedition to Somerset in 1864/65 & discovered the river on 25 January 1865. They named it the Deception River because they had got it confused with the Escape River but the Government of the day, under Governor Sir George Bowen, decided it should be named in their honour. This is the same river that Carstensz, the Dutch navigator, named the Van Spult (Van Spoult) River & inlet on 13 May 1623 after the Governor of Ambon, Hermann van Sp(e)oult. The Jardine River mouth is traditionally known as Thayanhaku
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 41
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 154
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 330
Injinoo Handbook, 1995, p. 16



Jardine Rock
Torres Strait. Named for Frank Jardine, Government Resident at Somerset for many years
Coordinates:
10 39 S 142 16 E



Jardine's Lagoon
Einsleigh District. Named after the Jardine brothers who passed this way on 13 October 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 292



Jardine Street
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named for Frank Jardine, Government Resident at Somerset for many years
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E



Jarra Creek
Tully district. Originally called Beckett's Creek, being named after Robert Beckett in the 1880s. Beckett arrived in the district in 1882 and settled the Wingfield property
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407



Jasmine Street
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Jasmine vine (Jasminum racemosum)
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jasper Street
Mareeba. Named about 1928 for Richard Jasper (1895-1936), apiarist
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 42
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Jasper Street
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Streets in this subdivision are named after minerals and gemstones. Jasper is an opaque variety of quartz, usually red, yellow or brown
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jean Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jeannie River
Cape York. Named in 1879 by Robert Logan Jack
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 66



Jebreen Street
Mareeba. Named about 1960 for Michael (Mick) Jebreen Snr, Mareeba businessman from about 1919
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 43
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Jeff Pezzutti Park
Cairns. Woree. Named for Jeff Pezzutti, Deputy Mayor of Cairns
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jensen Street
Cairns. Edge Hill/Manoora. Named after V. H. Jensen who was an Alderman of the Cairns City Council, 1903-1933 and 1939-1958.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jervis Island
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh on 12 September 1792. Known by its Island name of Mabuiag
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 115
Coordinates:
9 57 S 142 10 E



Jessie Island
One of the North Barnard Islands, Great Barrier Reef, north east of Silkwood. Named after one of the daughters of the Kent family, who looked after the lighthouse which opened on nearby Kent Island in 1919. The island is 58 metres high.
Source:
Barnard Islands National Park. Draft Management Plan, 1998



Jessie's Tableland
Named by William Hann in August 1872
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 389 & 514



Jesson Street
Ingham. Named for an Hinchinbrook Shire Councillor, C. Jesson
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E



Jim Chapman Bridge
Gillies Highway over the Barron River near Yungaburra. Named after Atherton Mayor Jim Chapman
Source:
Cairns Post 26 March 1998, p. 11



Joan Street
Cairns. Bungalow. Named after Joan Collins who was a sister of Alderman W. A. Collins & Mayor of Cairns for 22 years
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jock's Lodge
South of Cardwell. Named by Dalrymple in 1863 either after Jock's Lodge, a hamlet outside Edinburgh or Jock, a bullock driver with him
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Jodrell Street
Innisfail. Named after Charles Edward Jodrell, Shire Councillor for 12 years and Shire Chairman in 1907-1908
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Jogo
Innisfail District. Railway siding originally named Moody, then Bessie. Jogo is an Aboriginal word for a tree with red berries
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967



John Brewer Reef
Great Barrier Reef, part of the Slasher group of reefs. Named after the stranding of the British troopship John Brewer here in June 1842. Previously known as Watt Reef
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144
Coordinates:
18 33 S 147 13 E



John Doyle Bridge
Mareeba. Previously the Barron River Bridge, over the Barron River at Mareeba. John Doyle (1842-1932) was a bushman & pathfinder
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 24
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



John Street
Innisfail. Named after John Romano
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



John Street
Herberton. Probably named after John Newell of Jack & Newell Stores. He started out as a tin miner in Herberton in 1879 before opening up a small store with William Jack in Herberton. Eventually they had 27 stores in the district. He died in July 1932, aged 84 & was buried in the Herberton cemetery
Coordinates:
17 23 S 145 23 E



John Winfield Bridge
Malanda. Bridge across the Johnstone River between Malanda & Topaz. Named in 1940 for John Gibney Winfield (1885-1974), Chairman of the Eacham Shire Council, 1935-1964
Source:
Malanda in the Shadow of Bartle Frere, 1995, p. 32 & 35 & 69



Johnson Street
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named for Frank Johnson, who was the licensee of the hotel there until 1935
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, p. 44 & 47
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Johnston Road
Mossman. Probably named after William Samuel Johnston or his brother John Dorrens Johnston, who purchased land in the area in 1882. William's property was named Drumsara after his home in Northern Ireland. John Johnstone arrived in the area in 1884.
Source:
Kerr, John. Northern Outpost, 1979, p. 13
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 63, May 1964
Coordinates:
16 28 S 145 23 E



Johnston Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. Named after J. M. Johnston, a sawmill owner in the Stratford area
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Johnston Street
Mareeba. Named about 1962 for William Alfred Johnston & family
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 44
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Johnstone River
Originally named Gladys River by Captain Moresby. Renamed the Johnstone River, after Sub-Inspector Robert Johnstone who explored the river early in 1873, by George Dalrymple in 1873. The river was known on maps before 1872 as the Shoal Rivulet. In 1882 Christie Palmerston named the North Johnstone River the Katie River after a friend in Melbourne but this name was never widely used
Source:
Dalrymple, G. Narrative and Reports of the Queensland North-East Coast Expedition, 1873, p. 10
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps and Blue Umbrellas, p. 14



Jones Street
Innisfail. Named after early resident family
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Jones Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Runs through what was once Jone's dairy and pig farm during the 1920s and 1930s. The farm was on the northern side of Mulgrave Road
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jorgenson Range
Einsleigh District. Named by the Jardine brothers who passed this way on 15 October 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 293
Coordinates:
18 2 S



Joseph Banks Close
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Paradise Palms Golf Estate. Named after the botanist Joseph Banks who was with Captain James Cook when the Endeavour sailed past Cairns in June 1770
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Joyces
Cape York Peninsula. A camp on Trevathan Creek. Named in 1891 for Mr. Joyce, operator of the post office
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Jubilee Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named in honour of the Cairns 1926 Jubilee
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jubilee Street
Cairns. Edmonton. Named in honour of the Cairns 1926 Jubilee
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E



Julatten
Aboriginal word meaning small creek
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967



Julian Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Roman themes. Julian was a Roman Emperor
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



The Junction
West of Herberton. So named because this tin mining town was at the junction of the Dry & Wild Rivers
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 161
Coordinates:
17 33 S 145 18 E



Junction Point
See Innisfail



Jungara
Cairns railway. Redlynch. Aboriginal name meaning bean tree
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Juno Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named for a Roman theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 37
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Jurs Gap
Innisfail District. Named after Surveyor Martin Jurs
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388



K tree
Innisfail District. A surveyor's marking, marked by W. J. Callendar, who was working in the area in the 1890s
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388



Kaban
Atherton Tableland, north of Tumoulin. Railway station & mining settlement. Aboriginal word, meaning the country of the flying squirrel. The settlement was originally known as Evelyn & the town was surveyed on 13 November 1910 by Tindal Porter
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 35
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 139
Coordinates:
17 31 S 145 24 E



Kairi
East of Tolga. Aboriginal name for Mazlin Creek. Originally known as the 4 mile.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967



Kalbo
Innisfail district. Aboriginal term, anglicised for galbu, butcher bird
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13



Kalunga
South of Herberton. Railway station. Aboriginal word, meaning plenty water
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 35



Kambul
Atherton Tableland, west of Koah. Railway station. Aboriginal word, meaning Cypress pine tree
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 38



Kamerunga
Cairns Suburb. Originally called Lower Crossing and then Barronville because it was situated on the Barron River. People settled here from late 1876, when it was a packers camp known as Lower Crossing. This was the first permanent packers camp in the area. It continued as a camp even when Smithfield was established on the opposite bank of the Barron River in 1877. The settlement was only officially recognised in 1887 and grew rapidly from May that year when it became the headquarters for John Robb's railway construction project covering the second or range section of the Cairns to Kuranda railway. Known briefly as Barronville, it was then suggested by Archibald Meston, that the name be changed to Kamerunga. Meston had owned the property Cambanora in the area since 1883. It has been suggested that Kamerunga was the Aboriginal name for Barron Falls, although it was originally described as merely the Aboriginal name for the locality. Benfer concurs that the word Kamerunga was in fact the Aboriginal name for the area. The township faded away after 1890, to later become a suburb of Cairns
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 279
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 2
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 120 & 121
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 91, October 1966
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kamerunga Road
Cairns. Freshwater/Stratford. Named after the township of Kamerunga. So called because it was the road to Kamerunga from Stratford & Freshwater. The road was gazetted in 1936. Prior to 1937 it was known as the Cairns - Double Island (Trinity Beach) Road & the Cairns - Port Douglas Road.
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 45
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 305
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kamma
South of Edmonton. Railway station. Aboriginal word, meaning Aboriginal woman
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967



Kangaroo Shoals
Great Barrier Reef, off the Piper Islands, Temple Bay. Named by Lieutenant Charles Jeffries of the Kangaroo in 1815 after his ship, which struck the shoal.
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 50
Coordinates:
12 13 S 143 13 E



Kanimbla
Cairns. Suburb. After the MV Kanimbla (10 985 tons), an Adelaide steamship vessel which regularly sailed to Cairns from Southern Ports. She was built in Belfast in 1936 & was the last large passenger ship built specifically for Australian owners. She carried 400 passengers & during the war was an armed merchant cruiser & an infantry landing ship. She continued civilian voyages in 1950. She was sold in 1961 & broken up in 1974.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 38
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kansas Close
Cairns. White Rock. Named after the American State. The name was approved on 21 November 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Karakatoa Close
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Named after an Indonesian volcano. Name approved on 19 December 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Karboota Street
Innisfail. Named after one of the small ships which called into the Johnstone River
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Kareeya
See Tully River Waterfall



Kareeya Power Station
On the Tully River. Named in the 1950s after the Aboriginal name for the nearby Tully Falls from which the hydro-electric power is generated.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 397 and 410



Karen Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Karingal Court
Weipa. Aboriginal word meaning happy home
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Karumba
Originally known as Kimberley. Karumba is said to be the Aboriginal name for the Norman River, on which it is situated
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Gulf Country, North Queensland, map reference 95
Coordinates:
17 29 S 140 20 E



Katanga Close
Cairns. Smithfield. Named after Katanga province in Zaire, a mountainous, mineral rich province
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kate's Sugarloaf
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 5



Katie River
See Johnstone River



Katoora Street
Innisfail. Named after one of the sugar lighters which loaded sugar at Goondi Mill
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Kauri Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after the Kauri pine
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kavanagh Creek
Palmer River District. Previously known As Emu Creek
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 422



Kavanagh Road
Innisfail. Named after the farmer at the end of the road
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Kavieng Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kavieng is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Keable Park
Cooktown. Named by the Cook Shire Council for Douglas Stephen Keable, Shire Clerk from 1952-1986
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E



Kearney Close
Mareeba. Named circa 1979 for James Andrew Kearney, pioneer commercial traveller
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 45
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kearney Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1979 for James Andrew Kearney, pioneer commercial traveller
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 45
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kearneys Falls
Goldsborough State Forest, south west of Cairns. Kearneys Falls and Kearneys Flat are named after pioneer grazier Frank Kearney



Keating's Lagoon
Named for a resident & hotelier, "Annan Road"
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Keatinge Islet
Torres Strait, west of Mt Adolphus Island. Named after Captain Eldred Pottinger Keatinge, one of the first licensed Torres Strait Pilots. His licence was issued on 22 June 1886
Source:
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 39



Keeble Street
Cairns. Manunda/Stratford. Named after Arthur Keeble, an early pioneer. He established a dairy in West Cairns in 1893 & was a member of the Barron Shire Council in 1907
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Keeble Street
Mareeba. Named in 1907 for Arthur Keeble, Barron Shire Councillor & commercial traveller
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 46
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Keepit Siding
Innisfail District. Named as the result of a quibble over the ownership of the nearby land by Chapman and Perrier
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388



Kehl Street
Ingham. Named for an Hinchinbrook Shire Councillor, A.W.S. Kehl
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E



Keirle Avenue
Cairns. Whitifield. Named after C. Keirle, who was an Alderman of the Cairns City Council, 1924-1930 and a prominent businessman
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Keith Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after the caretaker at Green Island in 1910
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Keller Close
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Arthur Keller, a Cairns Alderman
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kelly's Falls
Atherton Tableland, Mareeba District. Named after Pioneer Mick Kelly
Source:
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine March 1929, p. 75



Kelly Street
Cairns. Earlville. Probably named after the Kelly brothers, Jack & Mick, who operated a road construction company in the 1950s. It is possible, but unlikely, that it may have been named after R. H. Kelly, early settler and owner of Kelly's shoe store and also ladies and men’s wear
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kelly Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1963 after the Kelly family. Thomas Kelly came to Mareeba in the 1890s
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 47
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kelly Street
Atherton. Named after William B. Kelly, who opened a store at Prior's Pocket (later Atherton) in 1882. He was the first Chairman of the Tinaroo Divisional Board & purchased the first block of land in Atherton in 1886
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 110
Atherton Centenary, 1985, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E



Kelso Reef
Great Barrier Reef, part of the Slasher group of reefs. Named after the stranding of the British troopship Kelso here in June 1842
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144
Coordinates:
18 33 S 147 13 E



Kendall River
Cape York. Named on 31 December 1864 by the Jardine Brothers after a friend of surveyor Archibald Richardson. Richardson was the surveyor on the Jardine Expedition & may have named the River himself. Originally named Kendall Creek. The Kendall River of today was named by John T. Embley in 1884 as he believed it to be the Kendall Creek named by the Jardine brothers. Jack is not convinced that they are the same rivers. He believes the Sinclair Creek is actually the creek that the Jardines named as Kendall Creek
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 310-311 & 633
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 32
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Kenneally Road
Mareeba. Named circa 1956 for Hermia & Rod Kenneally, farmers, who came to Mareeba in 1929
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 48
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kennedy Bay
North of the Tully River. Named by Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake in 1848 after Edmund Kennedy
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Kennedy Cairn
Cardwell, near the post office. Named after Edmund Kennedy, whose expedition to Cape York in 1848 left from the area. It was unveiled on 23 May 1848, to commemorate the centenary of the Kennedy Expedition
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 395



Kennedy Creek
Cardwell district. Named in early Cardwell days because some of Kennedy's marked trees were found there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Kennedy Esplanade
Mission Beach. Named after Edmund Kennedy who in 1848 led an expedition to Cape York in which he perished.
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Kennedy Highway
Cairns to Mareeba. Named after Edmund Besley Kennedy, ill-fated explorer of the 1848 expedition to Cape York



Kennedy Hill
Cape York Peninsula, Carron Range. 439 metres (1 440 feet) high. Named by the officers of the surveying ship Paluma, 1890. Named for Edmund Kennedy, who led an ill-fated expedition to Cape York in 1848
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 224 & 692



Kennedy Inlet
Named after explorer Edmund Kennedy
Source:
Liddell, Rodney. Cape York: The Savage Frontier, p. 271



Kennedy Memorial Bridge
Bridge over the Meunga Creek, near Cardwell. Named after Edmund Kennedy, whose expedition to Cape York in 1848 left from the area. It was opened on 22 May 1848, to commemorate the centenary of the Kennedy Expedition
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 396



Kennedy River
Cape York Peninsula. Named by William Hann in September 1872 in honour of Edmund Kennedy of the ill-fated 1848 expedition. Originally known as Kennedy's River. Kennedy never saw this river.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 463
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 6



Kennedy Shoal
East of Cardwell. Named by Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake in 1848 after Edmund Kennedy
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Kennedy Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. Named after Edmund Besley Court Kennedy (1818-1848), North Queensland explorer who was killed in Cape York in 1848
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kennedy Street
Mareeba. Named on 9 September 1948 for explorer Edmund Besley Court Kennedy. 1948 was the centenary of the Kennedy Expedition to Cape York
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 49
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kennedy Town
North of Cardwell. The township was designed in 1941 by Surveyor Hein and was named after Edmund Kennedy who began his 1848 expedition in the district. The railway siding situated here is also named after Kennedy
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 397 and 410



Kenny
Mission Beach. Original name of the Mission Beach township named after Superintendent J. M. Kenny of the Hull River Mission, who was killed in the 1918 cyclone. Designed in 1938 by Staff Surveyor Hein
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410
Coordinates:
17 35 S 145 36 E



Kenny Road
Atherton Tableland. Minbun. Named after the Kenny family
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 49, August 1980
Coordinates:
17 29 S 145 25 E



Kenny Street
Cairns. Portsmith. Named after James Kenny, early settler and local sawmill proprietor in about 1882. He was also Chairman of the Cairns Divisional Board and was responsible for the first footpaths in Cairns, made with a layer of mangrove mud spread over the sand and then covered with a layer of sawdust. This was called Kenny's mixture. This street used to lead to Malay Town, situated amongst the mangroves in a big bend of the Alligator Creek. The area has now been cleared and reclaimed and is occupied by oil tanks
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kent Island
One of the North Barnard Islands, Great Barrier Reef, north east of Silkwood. Named after the Kent family, who looked after the lighthouse which opened here in 1919. The island is 95 metres high
Source:
Barnard Islands National Park. Draft Management Plan, 1998
Coordinates:
17 41 S 146 11 E



Kerr Islet
Torres Strait. Almost certainly named after Captain George Kerr, a man with many years experience as a master of Queensland Government steamers in the Torres Strait in the second half of the 19th century.
Source:
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 40
Coordinates:
9 37 S 141 34 E



Kerr Point
Gulf of Carpentaria. Almost certainly named after Captain George Kerr, a man with many years experience as a master of Queensland Government steamers in the Torres Strait in the second half of the 19th century.
Source:
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 40
Coordinates:
11 39 S 141 49 E



Kerryanne Close
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Streets in this subdivision were named after girl's names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kerwin Street
Cairns. City. Named after Kerwin, a health officer in 1911
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kestrel Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a bird.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kevin Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Name suggested by W. A. Collins, Kevin being the owner of the property
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 39
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kidston Street
Cairns. Bungalow. Named after W. Kidston, a Premier of Queensland, 1906-1907 and 1908-1911
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 40
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kiernan Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after Alderman George Kiernan, 1933-1939 and 1940-1943
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 40
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kieta Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kieta is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Killara Place
Weipa. Aboriginal word meaning permanent
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Kilpatrick Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1938 for Thomas John Kilpatrick, owner of Southedge Station & a pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 50
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



King Island
Great Barrier Reef. One of the Flinders Group of Islands. Named after navigator Phillip Parker King
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 346
Coordinates:
14 06 S 144 20 E



King River
Palmer River area. Named on 5 September 1875 by James Mulligan after the Minister for Works & Mines, H.E. King
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 60
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 457 & 459 & 528



King's Reef
Kurrimine. Named by Captain Phillip Parker King of the Mermaid who sailed past in 1819. It is not clear if it is honouring the Captain or his father, Phillip Gidley King
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



King's Route
Hinchinbrook Island area. Known after Philip Parker King of the Mermaid who in 1819 sailed this way
Source:
Horden, Marsden. King of the Australian Coast, 1997, p. 168



King Street
Babinda. Named after Patrick and Eileen King who came to Babinda from Kuranda in 1914. They owned a boarding house near the railway station which was destroyed by the 1918 cyclone. Patrick King later worked at the Babinda Mill
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Kingsborough
Hodgkinson Goldfield town. The official name was Kingston but Kingsborough was the popular usage & eventually won out. It was also known as Kingsboro. Named in honour of Henry Edgar King, Secretary for Public Works & Mines from November 1874 to May 1876 & who had visited the Palmer River goldfields early in 1874. Surveyed on 1 May 1880 by Thomas Horan although the first hotel was operating as early as 1876 (Not to be confused with the town of the same name at Oakey Creek on the Palmer Goldfield between 1874-1876, which was probably also named after Henry Edgar King)
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 115
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 61
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 191, October 1975
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 2 E



Kingsford Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Richard Ash Kingsford (1821-1902), who arrived in Cairns in 1882 & was an Alderman at the first meeting of the Municipal Council held on 18 July 1885. At this meeting he was elected the first Mayor of Cairns, a post he held till 1886 and he continued as an Alderman until 1890. He was President of the Cairns School of Arts. This street led to the House on the hill, which was built by him and burned down in 1993. He is buried in the McLeod Street Cemetery. He was the MLA for Cairns in 1888 & was a draper & sugar planter, having purchased the Hambledon Sugar Estate in 1896. Prior to his arrival in Cairns he was the Member of Parliament for South Brisbane as well as being a mayor of Brisbane. He died on 2 January 1902, aged 80
Source:
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 102
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 40
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kingston
See Kingsborough



Kingston Street
Babinda. Formerly Nelson Street. Named after Douglas Kingston who married Bessie Cannon, (a niece of John Cannon who donated the land to the Cairns Jockey Club and which is now known as Cannon Park).
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Kinloch Creek
Named by Frank Jardine on 3 January 1865 for John Kinloch, maths master at Sydney College
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 312



Kipling Street
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named after Joseph Kipling, a nephew of the famous author Rudyard Kipling, who selected 80 acres on the west bank of Davidson (later Freshwater Creek) on 4 November 1879. He installed a rice mill here.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 134 & 255
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kiriwina Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kiriwina Island is part of PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kirrama
Settlement north-west of Cardwell. Derived from Keramai, the Aboriginal Group living there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410



Kirsten Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kitava Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kitava Island is a part PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kite Close
Cairns. Woree. Named after a bird. The name was approved on 17 October 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kiwain Point
Prince of Wales Island, Torres Strait. Traditionally named for the warrior Kiwain, who was killed by the legendary Muralag hero Waiben. The rocky point is his body, turned to stone. From the time of white settlement until recently it was known as Heath Point after Port master of Queensland at the time, Captain George P. Heath. It was Heath who selected the site for the Thursday Island township. Now officially known as Bluefish Point
Source:
Singe, John. Among Islands, 1993, p. 3



Kjellberg Road
Atherton Tableland, Millaa Millaa district. Named after Ernst Edmund Julius Kjellberg, (1979-1968), who ran a sanatorium at the end of the road, called Beachview. He practiced from the 1920s to the mid 1950s
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin Nos 31 & 33, February & April 1979



Klondyke
See Arbouin



Knott Court
Cairns. Whitfield. This name was selected by the developers
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Knowles Street
Babinda. Named after Dr. George Knowles, medical doctor and Superintendent of the Cairns District Hospital from about 1910-1913, who at one time also owned a large tract of cane land in the Babinda area
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin, October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Knowles Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Dr. George Knowles, a medical doctor in Cairns from about 1900 onwards. He succeeded Dr. Edward Koch as Superintendent of the cairns District Hospital.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 41
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Koch Street
Cairns. Manunda/Mooroobool. Named after Dr. Edward Albert Koch, noted pioneer medical doctor in Cairns. Born in Altona, Holstein, Germany on 3 August 1843, he arrived in Cairns in 1884 as the first Government Health Officer. He married Ruth Banks in Cairns on 15 November 1890. He died on 28 June 1901 aged 57 and is buried in the McLeod Street Cemetery alongside his wife Ruth, who died on 3 February 1914, aged 58. There is a monument to him in Anzac Park, which was originally in the middle of the intersection of Abbott and Spence Streets, opposite the Post Office. It was unveiled by the Queensland Governor, Sir Herbert Chemside on 13 June 1903, on the occasion of Koch's funeral, which was the first military funeral in the town. The memorial was moved to Anzac Park in the 1970s and in the mid 1990s was moved a short distance away to the new Casino gardens
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 41
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Koedal Bupur
Boigu. Means Crocodile Nose & is so called because the shape of the land resembles a crocodile's nose. The village on Boigu Island is sited around here
Source:
Teske, Travis. Boigu: Island of Torres Strait, 198-, p. 12



Kokialah Creek
Western Cape York Peninsula. Name for the local Aboriginal People. Named by John T. Embley in 1885-6
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 653



Kokoda Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kokoda is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kokopo Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Kokopo is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kookaburra close
Innisfail. Named after the Kookaburra bird
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Koolburra Creek
Cape York. Aboriginal name meaning emu
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 95



Koombooloomba
West of Tully. Originally called Culpa Pocket. Koombooloomba is the Aboriginal name for the area, meaning Place of Gold. Much of Culpa Pocket is now covered by the waters of Koombooloomba Dam. According to Hooper Koombooloomba comes from the Aboriginal word Koombool, meaning native woman. The name was bestowed by Mike O'Leary. Gold was found here in 1890
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 160
Coordinates:
17 56 S 145 39 E



Koorboora
Chillagoe District. Aboriginal word, meaning a barren place. Lode tin was first discovered here by Anthony Linedale in August 1888. The town of Koorboora was established in 1889
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 193
Coordinates:
17 22 S 144 39 E



Kootaloo Street
Mission Beach. Kootaloo is a mountain on Dunk Island and visible from this street
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Kootoofa
Named after George the Greek, a packer of early times
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 41



Koppen Terrace
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after the sub-divider
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 41
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kowa Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1923. An Aboriginal word
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 50
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kowanyama
Formerly known as the Mitchell River Mission Station



Kowrowa
Atherton Tableland. Originally known as Dinner Pocket. So named because it was a forest pocket in the scrub much in favour by the early surveyors as a mid-day camp. The word Kowrowa is claimed to be the name of that part of the Barron River
Source:
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine April 1929, p. 83
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967



Kraft's Camp
Babinda District, on the slopes of Mount Bartle Frere. This was the camp for the Babinda diggings on the Mulgrave Goldfield. Named after Bill Kraft, who with Jack Wilkie found gold here in late 1936 28-Oct-1997
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 365
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 304, June 1985
Coordinates:
17 18 S 145 48 E



Kraft's Creek
Babinda District, on the slopes of Mount Bartle Frere. Named after Bill Kraft, who found gold here in late 1936
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 304, June 1985



Krait Street
Cairns. Trinity Park. Streets in this subdivision were named after ships. The Krait was a World War II Commando boat, famous for carrying out a sabotage raid in Singapore Harbour in August 1943 under the command of Z force, which occupied the House on the Hill in Cairns during World War II
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 471
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kulara
Yungaburra District. Aboriginal name meaning fig tree. Originally known as Ball Pocket, but the name was changed when the railway came. Local residents asked that the town be called Coolara, but this was rejected as too much like another station. The word Coolara was a s close as the European residents could get to the word used by the local Aborigines to refer to the area where a great many fig trees grew
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 125
The Pioneers speak, 1990, p. 2 & 30-31



Kunduck Gardens
Weipa. Aboriginal word meaning oyster (Kandhak)
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Kuranda
Atherton Tableland. Originally known as Middle Crossing because this was the spot where the Barron River was crossed on the second occasion by the track from Smithfield to the Hinterland. The name Kurunda was suggested by surveyor G.D. Edwards, but it was submitted by surveyor Thomas Behan as Kuranda. Apparently it is an Aboriginal word from the Burnett River district where Edwards spent many years. The Djabugay name at this time for the Kuranda district was Oonbij
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 288
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine April 1929, p. 83
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E



Kuranda Heights Road
Kuranda. So named because it passes through an elevated part of Kuranda
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E



Kureen
Atherton Tableland. According to Martinuzzi it is an Aboriginal term, silky oak. However, Mrs Robina Angus (Nee Heale) contends that Ted Heale, who farmed in the area, requested that it be named Coreen, the Aboriginal name for Little Creek. However since there was already a town of this name the spelling was altered to Kureen
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14
Eacham Shire Historical Society Bulletin no 42, January 1980



Kurracoo Creek
Western Cape York Peninsula. Aboriginal name for the box tree. Named by John T. Embley in 1885-6
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 653



Kurrajong Close
Mission Beach. Named after a species of bird
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Kurrajong Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after the Kurrajong tree
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kurrimine
Innisfail district, east of Silkwood. Originally called Murdering Point because Sub-Inspector Johnstone of the Native Mounted Police in Cardwell was alerted by the ship Liverpool which had found there the bodies of two men, apparently Matthew Taylor and E. Melson from the ship Riser in August 1878. They had been killed by Aborigines. Changed to Kurrimine, which is an Aboriginal term meaning sunrise, in the late 1950s
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 53
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 208
Coordinates:
17 46 S 147 07 E



Kwila Street
Mission Beach. A species of timber
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Kylie Close
Mareeba. Named on 18 May 1989 for Kylie Goldsworthy, daughter of the developer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 51
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Kym Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Kynara Street
Tumoulin. Aboriginal word for the Goanna
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 49

No comments:

Post a Comment