Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names - ma - mi

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns

Maadi
Innisfail district, south of El Arish. Railway siding named after an engagement there in Palestine of interest in World war I
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13


Mabuiag Point
Yam Island, Torres Strait. The original village site on Yam Island. So named because some people who came from Mabuiag Island once lived there.
Source:
Teske, Travis. Yam, 198-, p. 6
Coordinates:
9 53 S 142 45 E


Macadam Creek
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named by William Landsborough on 22 November 1861 after Macadam, the Secretary of the Royal Society. William Landsborough explored much of Queensland and was rewarded by the Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land on the Sunshine Coast which he named "Lamerough". Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt.Nebo to Bowen Downs Station 1856-1859. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864. William was appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving $800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown Lands Commissioner. William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years
Source:
Journal of Landsborough's Expedition From Carpentaria, In Search of Burke & Wills, 1862, p. 21


Macadamia Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Macadamia Tree
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


MacAlister Place
Cairns. Smithfield heights. Named after the MacAlister Range which was named by Dalrymple in 1873 after the Hon. Arthur MacAlister, Colonial Secretary and Premier of Queensland. The four mountains in the range, Mounts Garioch (653 metres), Mar (760 metres), Formartine (783 metres) and Buchan (671 metres), were named by Dalrymple after the four districts in his native Aberdeenshire in Scotland
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 29
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Macalister Range
North of Cairns. Named by George Dalrymple on 20 October 1873 after the Hon. Arthur MacAlister, Colonial Secretary and Premier of Queensland. The four mountains in the range, Mounts Garioch (653 metres), Mar (760 metres), Formartine (783 metres) and Buchan (671 metres), were named by Dalrymple after the four districts in his native Aberdeenshire in Scotland
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 29


Macalister River
See Tully River


Macarthur Street
Croydon. Named after P. Macarthur, the first resident warden & police magistrate in Croydon
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Croydon Gold, 1986, p. 24
Coordinates:
17 33 S 145 18 E


MacDonald Town
West of Forsayth, Etheridge District. The town was surveyed in May 1896 & the Green Hills mineral field was declared on 23 April 1896. The associated town was named after local mining warden MacDonald. According to jack it was named after explorer Graham MacDonald who traversed the area in 1864
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 65
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 283


MacDonald Valley
Hodgkinson Goldfield. Named by Robert Logan Jack on 15 December 1879
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 460


MacDonnell Street
Cairns. Edge Hill/Manunda. Named after H. K. N. MacDonnell, a well known Cairns solicitor. He came to Cairns in 1897 and on 26 November 1977, aged 98. He was president of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce, 1928/9
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


MacGillivary Street
Mission Beach. Named after John MacGillivary, a member of Owen Stanley's expedition aboard the Rattlesnake in 1848
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E


Machans Beach
Cairns. Northern beaches suburb. It was surveyed in 1885 by Surveyor Thomas Beehan. Richard Morton (Dick) Machan purchased 250 acres of land on 27 March 1924 & settled on the beachfront. In 1932 he converted his holding from leasehold to freehold. Machans Beach began to be subdivided into building allotments & from this time became to be known as Machans Beach rather than its original name of Barron Beach.
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 8-9 & 13
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Machans Beach Access Road
Cairns. Machans Beach. So named because this road leads from the Highway to the suburb of Machans Beach
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Machans Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after the Machan family. Richard Morton Machan purchased 250 acres of land on 27 March 1924 & settled on the beachfront. When his son was later asked if he would like a street named after his family Tom Machan nominated the main access road to the beach
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 8-9 & 98
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


MacIlwraith Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after Sir Thomas McIlraith (1835-1900), a civil engineer, Premier of Queensland 1879-1883, 1888 and March to October 1893. (Note that with the street name the his name is spelt incorrectly !)
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mackay Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after George McKay, An Alderman who was present at the first meeting of the Municipal Council to be held at Council Chambers on 22 July 1885
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mackey Close
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named after Thomas Mackey. Previously a packer to the Palmer River goldfields, he became the first Chairman of the Mulgrave Central Mill in 1895 and owned the cane farm where the Meringa experimental sugar station now is. Prior to this he owned and ran a dairy. He was also a member of the Cairns Divisional Board.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 158, 365 & 405
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mackey's Creek
Hann Tableland. Originally known as Spring Creek. The creek became known as Mackey's Creek when that family settled there to grow maize for the packers & teamsters
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 58, June 1981


Mackeys Creek
Cairns. Gordonvale. Flows into Trinity Inlet. Named after Thomas Mackey, who had 400 acres on the Mulgrave, where he operated a dairy and later a cane farm.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 134


MacKinnon's Creek
The Lynd district. Named after Mr. MacKinnon who took up a run in The Lynd district
Source:
Borland, Hugh. Some Namimgs. Cairns Post 194-?


Mackness Creek
El Arish district. Named after the Mackness brothers (including R.A & L.O Mackness) and their father James and his wife of Narragon who lived there from the early 1920s onwards. They built the first bridge over this creek in the 1920s
Source:
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 81


Maclear Island
Great Barrier Reef. Princess Charlotte Bay area. Named after Maclear of HMS Alert & HMS Flying Fish. The name was probably bestowed by the surveying ship HMS Dart in the 1890s
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 346
Coordinates:
14 13 S 144 15 E


MacLeodsville
Town on the Hodgkinson Goldfield. Named after Billy Macleod, who worked gold here before 1876
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 123
Coordinates:
16 46 S 145 58 E


Macmillan River
Cape York. Named by Robert Logan Jack in 1880 after Archie C. Macmillan, Engineer for Northern Roads & the leader of the first diggers from Cooktown to the Palmer River
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 78
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 576


MacNamara Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after John MacNamara, who with his brother were government and general Auctioneers in the early days of Cairns
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 44
Pike, Glenville. The Wilderness Coast, 1987, p. 73-74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Macrae Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1937 for Jack Macrae, poultry farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 60
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Macrossan Range
Eastern Cape York. Named on 8 January 1880 by Robert Logan Jack for the Hon. John Murtagh Macrossan, Minister for Mines
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 543 & 716


Macrossan Street
Port Douglas. Named for the Hon. John Murtagh Macrossan, Minister for Mines. This was one of the original streets in Port Douglas, surveyed by Frederick Warner in January 1878. Macrossan visited Port Douglas on 18 November 1877 and was a strong supporter of Port Douglas being the port for the Hodgkinson Gold Fields
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Conquest of the Ranges, 1984, p. 6
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 49
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Madang Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Madang is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Madelaine Reef
Great Barrier Reef, Cape Tribulation area. Named after 1st officer Madelaine of the French War steamer Duroc which was wrecked here in August 1856
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 261-262


Magazine Creek
Cairns. Also known as Powder Magazine Creek. An old punt moored in the creek was used as a powder magazine, hence the name. This was the original magazine in Cairns & was moored approximately opposite no. 8 wharf
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 30, June 1961 & no. 176, July 1974
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Magazine Siding
Normanton. So named because the explosive magazine was built here in 1899
Source:
Knowles, J. W. Lonely Rails in the Gulf Country, 1993, p. 49
Coordinates:
17 40 S 141 4 E


Magazine Street
Cairns. Stratford. So named because there was a powder magazine in this street. The road was first surveyed in 1902 & an area was gazetted for an explosive magazine reserve. The magazine factory was built & commissioned in the latter half of the 1890s, under the charge of John Miller & was closed down circa 1950. The road was progressively bituminised between 1964-1967. The Magazine keeper was Arthur Sidney Howgego (1872-1964) who lived in a cottage beside the Magazine from 1914-1937
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 212-3
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 373, October 1991
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Magee Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. Named after Sergeant J.J. Magee, who arrived in Cairns in 1890
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Magnolia Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Magra Islet
Great Barrier Reef off Cape Grenville, part of the Cockburn Island group. Named after an American, James Mario Magra (also known as James Mario Matra), midshipman aboard Captain Cook's ship the Endeavour.
Source:
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 172
Coordinates:
11 51 S 143 17 E


Maher Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1984 for Charles Leo Maher, Private 1517, 15Bn., Australian Infantry, who died on 26 April 1915, at Gallipoli, during World War 1. He is buried at Quinn's Post Cemetery, ANZAC, Turkey, grave no. A.25
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 61
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Maher Street
Atherton. Probably named after the Maher brothers, early selectors in the Atherton area. Maher was Chairman of the Tinaroo Divisional Board in 1895
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 114
Atherton Centenary, p. 6
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Mahogany Avenue
Weipa. Botanical common name. Derived from the tropical American tree Swietenia mahogani
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Mahogany Street
Innisfail. Named after a tree
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mahogany Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after the Mahogany tree
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mahogany Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Main Street
Atherton. So named because it was the main street of the new township of Atherton. It was also the road to Herberton
Source:
Atherton Centenary, 1985, p. 4-5
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Maitland Road
Gordonvale. Named after Maitland, a master brick maker in the district. He lived at the crossing of Mackey's Creek
Source:
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 116
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Malanda
Aboriginal name for the Upper Johnstone Running Rivers, perhaps the waterfall or else named after the Malangha vine which grows in the area. It was originally named Tutamonlin, possibly meaning a waterfall, rocks in the scrub, or painful. In 1911 the name was changed to Malanda by the Railways Department after a request for a name change by settler James English. The railway reached the town in December 1910
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 11, May 1977
Coordinates:
17 21 S 145 36 E


Malay Reef
Great Barrier Reef. Named after the barque Malay which reported this reef in 1876
Source:
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1973, p. 224


Malay Town
Cairns. Originally known as Malay Camp. Formed in the late 19th century as a camp for Malay men amidst the Mangroves off Kenny Street on a bend of the Alligator River. After an outbreak of plague the camp was burnt down in 1904 but the residents rebuilt. From the 1920s onwards numerous nationalities lived here including Torres Strait Islanders, Aboriginal, Malay, Japanese, Chinese, Jamaicans, Africans, Singhalese, Sikhs & Australian South Sea Islanders. The township was progressively abandoned from the late 1940s onwards & from 1954 a Cairns City Council project commenced to cut a new straight channel for Alligator Creek & reclaim the old winding channel & the mangrove pockets along its course.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Malbon Thompson Range
South of Yarrabah. Named for John Malbon Thompson (1830-1908), Secretary for Public Lands. Named by George Dalrymple in 1873
Source:
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 178-9
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 24


Malibu Close
Cairns. White Rock. Named after the American city of Malibu
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mammino Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1966 for Rosario Mammino, farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 61
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Manganese Creek
Mount Carbine. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1883 after he found manganese in the creek
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 246


Mango Drive
Cairns. Earlville. So named for the large mango trees growing along the Chinaman creek bank here
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mangrove Island
Hinchinbrook Channel. Named by G.H. Richards in 1863 after the mangroves found there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Mankina Court
Weipa. Aboriginal word, happy
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Manley Islet
Great Barrier Reef off Cape Grenville, part of the Cockburn Island group. Named after Isaac George Manley, midshipman aboard Captain Cook's ship the Endeavour.
Source:
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 172


Manly Close
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Streets are named after Australian beaches in this sub-division. Manly is a beach in Sydney
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mann Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after John Mann (1869-1939), a member of Parliament for the Cairns district, 27 August 1904 - 27 April 1912. He arrived in Cairns in 1889. He was a sugar grower at Edmonton & was Secretary of the United Irish league of Cairns
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 123
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Manning Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1975, for Larry Manning.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 62
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Manoora
Cairns suburb. Named after the Glasgow built MV Manoora (10 856 tons), an Adelaide Steamship Vessel which regularly sailed from Melbourne to Cairns in the winters following 1935. She was commissioned as an armed merchant cruiser during the war & resumed civilian duties in 1949. She continued operating this route until about 1961. She foundered off Luzon in 1972 when being towed to Taiwan
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mansfield Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after Dr. Edward (Teddy) Palmer Mansfield, a prominent medical doctor in Cairns.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mantaka
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal name for the Silkwood tree. Originally known as Welcome Pocket owing to its open forest nature, much appreciated by the surveyors after miles of work in the dense scrub extending to the coastal ranges
Source:
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine April 1929, p. 83
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Manunda
Cairns. Suburb. Named after the MV Manunda (9115 tons), an Adelaide Steamship Company coastal steamer & tourist liner which regularly sailed to Cairns from southern ports. It was built in Glasgow & arrived in Australia in 1929. She was damaged in Darwin Harbour during a Japanese air raid in February 1942. In 1947 she resumed operating on the Melbourne to Cairns run until sold to Japanese ship breakers in 1956.
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 195, November 1994
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Manus Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Manus Island is one of the Admiralty Islands off the North eastern coast of PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Maori Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Maori Reef, east of Gordonvale
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mapee
Cairns railway station. Aboriginal word for the tree kangaroo
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Maple Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Maple Street
Yungaburra. Named after a species of tree
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 35 E


Maple Street
Millaa Millaa. Most of the streets in Millaa Millaa where named for trees
Coordinates:
17 31 S 145 37 E


Mapoon
Aboriginal community on western Cape York Peninsula. Mapunura was the Tjungundji word for the whole district. Rev. Nicholas Hey in the early 1890s wrote down the name as Mapunuma & from this word the name Mapoon emerged
Source:
Discussion with Ricky Guivarra


Maramie Creek
Western Cape York Peninsula. Named by the Jardine brothers in 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 658


Maranoa Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named after the Ship, S.S. Maranoa, caught in the 1904 cyclone. The street name was approved at a Cairns Town Council meeting on 11 December 1922.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 47
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marchant Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after a ship
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 47
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marcia Close
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Streets in this subdivision were named after girl's names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marcus Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after a Roman theme. Marcus Aurelius Antoninus was a Roman Emperor
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 47
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Maree Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after Tom Maree Snr, a councillor who owned the land in the 1920s & who built Freshwater cottage
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mareeba
Atherton Tableland. Originally called Abbott Creek. This creek was renamed Granite Creek by John Atherton. Mareeba is believed to be an Aboriginal word that could mean curlew or meeting place of waters, referring to the joining of Granite & Emerald Creeks with the Barron just below the town.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 289
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 178
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Marett Street
Cairns. Stratford. Named after Mrs. Marett, who ran the ferry at Stratford over the Barron River
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin, No. 41, June 1962
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Margaret Bay
Cape Grenville. Named by Captain Phillip Parker King on 20 July 1819
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 150
Coordinates:
11 57 S 143 11 E


Margherita Close
Mareeba. Named on 30 July 1981 for Margherita Bertoldo, wife of Luigi Bertoldo, early tobacco grower
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 63
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Maria Creek
Silkwood. Big Maria Creek, South Maria Creek and Maria Creek National Park. According to Mackness it was named in 1873, by Sub-inspector Johnstone, after the Brig Maria, which was wrecked off Cardwell on 25 February 1872. This is later disputed by Jones (Hurricane and Blue Umbrellas, 1973). Believed incorrectly by the Johnstone family to honour Maria, the wife of Robert Alexander Johnstone, Sub-Inspector of the Native Police. It is also possible but very unlikely that it could have been named by Dalrymple in 1873. In the 1870s it was also called the Louisa River.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 53-54
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388


Maria Creek National Park
Silkwood. Named after the Maria Creek. The river was named in 1872, apparently after the Brig Maria, which was wrecked off Cardwell in 1872. This is later disputed by Jones (Hurricane and Blue Umbrellas, 1973). Believed by the Johnstone family to honour the wife of Robert Alexander Johnstone, Sub-Inspector of the Native Police. It is also possible that it could have been named by Dalrymple in 1873.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 47


Maria Street
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marian Close
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Streets in this subdivision were named after girl's names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marigold Close
Cairns. Mooroobool. In an estate where streets names have a floral theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 48
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marina Rock
Torres Strait. Named after the barque Marina which was wrecked here on 28 May 1866
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 218
Coordinates:
10 28 S 142 23 E


Marino Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after the developer, Frank Marino, who had a cane farm here
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 48
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mario Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after an Italian boys name
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marion Reef
Great Barrier Reef. North East of Townsville. Named after the schooner Marion commanded by Captain C. Paget who discovered it in 1868. Originally known as Paget Reef, it was probably first seen by Captain Brodie of the Wansfell in 1864
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 212 & 216
Coordinates:
19 15 S 153 13 E


Marjorie Street
Innisfail. Named after Winton Campbell's wife
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Market Place
Innisfail. Named by developer Sam Brischetto, who developed the suburb Belvedere where this street is located
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 22
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Markey Street
Ingham. Named for those killed in action during World War I & II & Korea. This street honours Thomas Markey, Aircraftman 1st Class, 150219, Royal Australian Air Force, who died on 4 August 1943, aged 18. Son of Patrick and Jane Markey of Ingham, he is buried in the Brisbane (Lutwyche) Cemetery, Queensland, Sec. 75, grave no. 22
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E


Markwell Botanical Gardens
Innisfail. Named in honour of Dr. W.N. Markwell
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 23
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Marlin Parade
Cairns. City. Located near the wharves and named after the Marlin Jetty at the end of the parade. The jetty was named after the marlin fish found in the waters off Cairns.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 48
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marlow River
See Meunga Creek


Marnane Street
Atherton. Named after William or John Marnane, brothers, who were early settlers & well known packers
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 112
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Marramie Creek
Gulf Country. Aboriginal word meaning many fresh-water crabs
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 296


Marrett River.
Eastern Cape York Peninsula. Named after Sub-Inspector Marrett of the Native Police, who was first to report its existence
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 642


Marsden Island
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh for one of the Lords of the Admiralty. According to Jack it was probably named in honour of the Rev. Samuel Marsden, Rector of St. John's, Parramatta, who, in 1812, & for many years after, was unofficially regarded as "the head of the English Church in New South Wales"
Source:
Macfarlane, W. The Pandora Finds Murray Island. Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine October 1948, p. 17
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 155
Coordinates:
9 43 S 143 22 E


Marsh Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after Freddie P. Marsh, the owner of the property before the sub-division and a well-known butcher.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 48
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Marshall Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after Mr. Marshall who was lost in the 1927 cyclone
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 98
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Martha Ridegeway Reef
Great Barrier Reef, Raine Island vicinity. Named for the barque Martha Ridgeway, which was wrecked here on 7 July 1842
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144


Marti Road
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Original road formation, gravelling & drainage works was carried out in 1948, with bitumen sealing occurring in 1968
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 5
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Martin Avenue
Mareeba. Named circa 1972 for Ken Martin, accountant
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 63
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Martin Creek
Einsleigh District. Originally named Galaa Creek by the Jardine brothers who passed this way on 20 October 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 293
Coordinates:
18 2 S


Martin Jurs Creek
Tully district (?). Named after Surveyor Martin Jurs.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Martin Street
Innisfail. Named after Clerk of Works, Alex Martin
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Martin Street
Babinda. Named after Miss Margaret Hart Martin, a half-sister of Miss J. T. Munro.
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Martin Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after Cocky Martin of Freshwater who had an orchid and Chinese gardens in the area in the early days
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Martin Tenni Park
Cairns. Caravonica. Named for Martin Tenni, Member of Parliament for Barron River
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Martintown
See Tolga


Marton Station
Cooktown railway. 8 Km west of Cooktown. Named after the birthplace of Captain Cook in England. It was built from 1885-1887
Source:
Knowles, J. W. The Cooktown Railway, 1966, p. 61


Marty Street
Innisfail. Named after early settler A.F. Marty, Shire Councillor, 1930-1935
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Martyn Street
Cairns. Manunda/Parramatta Park. Martyn was an early blacksmith.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 13 and 48
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Martyville
Innisfail district, south of Mourilyan. Names after A. F. Marty, an early resident there.
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 12


Marvin Close
Cairns. White Rock. Streets in this subdivision are named for a motion picture theme. Lee Marvin is a famous actor, known for films such as the Dirty Dozen, Gorky Park & The Caine Mutiny
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mary Creek
South-west of Mossman. Named by John Fraser in the 1870s after his sister who had married T.H. Baker, who was in Fraser's employ. Fraser owned Brooklyn Station on the Mary River which he took up in 1875
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p.25
Rudd, Richard. The Veins of Carbine Hill, 1978, p. 19


Mary Reef
Torres Strait. Discovered by Captain Benjamin Orman of the ship Mary in 1818
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 60


Mary Street
Innisfail. Possibly named after Mary Potter, Sister of Mercy, All Hallows Convent, who had one of the first selections
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mary Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Origin unknown. The street name was approved at a Cairns Town Council meeting on 11 December 1922.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Maryfarms
North-west of Mount Molloy. Named after the Mary Creek which was named by John Fraser in the 1870s after his sister
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p.25
Coordinates:
16 43 S 145 11 E


Mason Street
Cairns. Stratford. Named after William Walter Mason, a Cairns pioneer, whose son was taken by a crocodile in the Barron River in 1894. The bridge on the Captain Cook Highway over the Barron River is named after him. He had a 160 acre property on the Barron River named Acacia Bank. This property was established on 25 June 1883. Originally known as Bertie Street
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 64
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 207
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mason Street
Mareeba. Named in 1907 for William (Walter) Mason (1856-1931), Shire Chairman of the Barron Shire Council
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 64
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Massy Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named after Charles Massy who was fatally speared here in 1885
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 644


Matilda Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Matvieff Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named by John R. Bradford in 1883 after the Superintendent of Telegraphs
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 665


May Reefs
East coast of Cape York. Named circa 1898 by officers of HMS Dart for sub-Lieutenant May of the Dart
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 701


May Street
Innisfail. Named for Ida See Poy, daughter of Tom and Mrs See Poy
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mayers Street
Cairns. Edge Hill/Manunda. Probably named after George Russell Mayers (10/10/1884 - 26/4/1930) who came to Cairns in 1893, but could be named for W.H.J. Mayers. George Mayers was prominent in the sugar industry in the early days & a member of the Cairns Harbour Board as well as chairman of the Cairns Coffee Growers' Association and an alderman on the Cairns Shire Council. W. Mayers was elected the first District Grand Master of the District Grand Lodge of Carpentaria on 1 March 1924. According to the Cairns City Council Road Index it was named for W.H.J. Mayers but S. Stephens, of the Cairns Historical Society, believes it was in honour of G.R. Myers
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 48
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mayers Street
Babinda. Named after George Russell Mayers (10/10/1864 - 26/4/1930), pioneer in the sugar industry and a member of the Cairns Harbour Board as well as chairman of the Cairns Coffee Growers' Association & an alderman on the Cairns Shire Council. Born in Hampshire, England, Meyers came to Cairns in 1893.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 49
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Mayers Street
Gordonvale. Named after pioneer George Russell Mayers who was prominent in the sugar industry & a member of the Cairns Harbour Board as well as chairman of the Cairns Coffee Growers' Association & an alderman on the Cairns Shire Council
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Mayflower Street
Innisfail. Named after a sailing ship which loaded sugar at the Goondi Mill
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Maytown
Town on the Palmer River. Originally named Edwardstown after the butcher, Jack Edwards, who with Leslie & Duff set up a butcher store here. The town was surveyed in 1875 by Archibald Campbell Macmillan (1841-1905), who named it after his daughter May. (According to Pike it was officially named Maytown in July 1874 by Warden Philip F. Sellheim & only surveyed in 1882, by Charles Alfred Starcke). Maytown was the major township on the Palmer River Goldfield. The main street was Leslie Street after Leslie.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 95 & 105
Pike, Glenville. Queen of the North, 1979, p. 41
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 167, October 1973
Coordinates:
16 3 S 144 17 E


Maytown Close
Cairns. Manoora. Named after Maytown, a town on the Palmer River Goldfield
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 49
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mazlin Close
Cairns. Edge Hill. Named after the Mazlin family, who owned the Mazlin store
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 49
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mazlin Creek
Atherton. Named after John or William Mazlin, one of the founders of Atherton. William & his 3 brothers (Jim, Tom & John) cut cedar on the site where Atherton now is in 1881
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 109
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Mazlin's Camp
See Atherton


Mazlin's Pocket
See Atherton


Mazlin Street
Cairns. Edge Hill. Named after the Mazlin family, who owned the Mazlin store & property on the eastern corner of Lake & Shield Streets in Cairns from 1910-1960s
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mazlin Street
Atherton. Named after William Mazlin, one of the founders of Atherton. He & his 3 brothers (Jim, Tom & John) cut cedar on the site where Atherton now is in 1881
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 109
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Mazlin Street
Ravenshoe. Named after William Mazlin who in 1881 found cedar here on what was to become Ravenshoe
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 115
Coordinates:
17 36 S 145 29 E


McArthur Islands
Cape Grenville. A group of 6 Islands. Named by Captain Phillip King on 24 July 1819 after his brother-in-law, Hannibal Macarthur. Originally known as M'Arthur's Group.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 150
Horden, Marsden. King of the Australian Coast, 1997, p. 183
Coordinates:
11 44 S 142 59 E


McCabe's Gap
Cardwell district (?). Named after selector Jack McCabe.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


McCarthy Close
Cairns. Brinsmead. Probably named for M.J. McCarthy who considered standing for Parliament in 1896. He is also recorded as having purchased the old hospital building in 1884.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 121 & 380
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McCoombe Street
Cairns. Manoora/Mooroobool/Westcourt. Named after Thomas McCoombe, a carpenter and builder who built the original post office and the Queensland National Bank as well as the first school. He was born in Londonderry, Ireland in 1848 & first came to Cairns in 1881. He was elected to the Cairns Town Council in 1895. He died on 30 December 1895, aged 48. The area serviced by this street was opened up in November 1876 as the first rural settlement of Cairns & at the time was known as the Three Mile because that was how far it was from the town centre. Chinese market gardens were cultivated here, the produce being sent to Cairns via Chinaman Creek
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 216-7
Cairns life February 1998, p. 7
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 64, June 1964
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 27
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McCords Crossing
Atherton Tableland. Carrington District. Named after William (Bill) McCord (1847-1924). He discovered tin at Bauhinia Creek along with John Atherton & James Robson in the 1870s and was for some years associated with John Newell at Tinaroo and Herberton
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 96, January 1985
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 43


McCormack Street
Cairns. Edge Hill/Manunda. Named after William McCormack (1879-1947), Member of Parliament for Cairns, 27 April 1912 - 21 February 1930. He was speaker from 1915-1919, Home Secretary from 1919-1923, Secretary of Public Lands from 1923-1925. First native born Premier of Queensland (22 October 1925 - 21 May 1929). He was then Leader of the Opposition from 27 May 1929 until his retirement on 21 February 1930. He was originally a miner at Irvinebank & was State Secretary of the Australian Workers' Union.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 44
Waterson, D.E. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1860-1929, 1972, p. 113-114
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McCraw Street
Atherton. Named after the pioneer (Bill McGraw?) who was one of the first settlers in the district. Atherton was originally called McCraw's Forest Pocket after him
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 111
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


McCrohon Park
Mareeba. Named for Henry William McCrohon, who is buried in the park. He died on 6 March 1888
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 108
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McCutcheon Park
Park in the Innisfail district. Named after Joseph Francis McCutcheon, who owned the land and donated it to the Johnstone Shire Council in 1948
Source:
Jury, Jenny. Joseph Francis McCutcheon. Innisfail Historical Society vol 5, 1989, p. 21


McDonald Close
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named after Tom McDonald, a pioneer aviator in the 1930s as well as the owner of a jewellery business
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McDonald Creek
Irvinebank District. Named after the prospector Jim McDonald, one of the founders of Irvinebank. He became one of the early farmers near Tolga
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 127-128


McDonnell Creek
Cape York. Named in 1883 by John Richard Bradford after Under Secretary of Posts & telegraphs
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 670
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 87


McDowall Street
Mareeba. Named on 21 November 1985 for Thomas Leslie McDowall, Private 3857, 31st Bn., Australian Infantry, who died in World War I on 26 September 1917 in Belgium.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 56
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McElhinney Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1968 for John (1861-1911) & Jane McElhinney & family.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 56
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McEwen Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named for the President of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce in 1945
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McFarlane Drive
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after Andy McFarlane, involved in the first landing of settlers in Cairns in 1876. He was an early packer
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McGowan Drive
Innisfail. Named after C. W. McGowan, an early day councillor and newspaper proprietor
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388


McGrath Road
Mareeba. Named circa 1974 for the McGrath family. Denis McGrath was one of the Mareeba pioneers
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 57
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McGregor Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Sir William McGregor, GCMB, CB. Governor of Queensland 1908-1915
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McGuigan Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after the owner of the property. His family owned a cane farm and the street bounded one of the sides of their farm
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McHenry River
Cape York. Named by Frank & Alexander Jardine, who discovered it on 26 January 1865, after Capt. J. McHenry of Arthur Downs on the Isaac River
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 325
Idries, Ion. The Great Trek, 1941, p. 199


McHugh Bridge
Palmerston Highway, over the Beatrice River. Named in the 1930s after Robert Emmet (Bob) McHugh, then Chairman of the Eacham Shire & the driving force in having the Palmerston Highway built. He was Eacham Shire Chairman from 1924-1935. The bridge was officially opened on 10 October 1932
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 14, August 1977 & no 61, September 1981 & no 71, August 1982


McHugh Crescent
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Mr McHugh, a cane farmer at Edge Hill and the owner of the land before it was subdivided
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McHugh Road
Millaa Millaa. Named after Robert Emmet (Bob) McHugh, Chairman of the Eacham Shire from 1924-1935 & who built the hotel at Millaa Millaa. The township is situated on his original block of land
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 2, July 1976
Coordinates:
17 31 S 145 37 E


McIlwraith Range
Eastern Cape York. Named by Robert Logan Jack in 1879 after the Premier of Queensland, Sir Thomas McIlraith.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 470 & 536


McIvor River
Cape York Peninsula. Named for the bank manager at Cooktown
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list


McIvor Road
Mareeba. Named circa 1946 for the McIver family. John McIvor arrived in Mareeba in 1937 & was a farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 57
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McKauge Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after Ron McKauge, R.A.N. in World war II. He was prominent in ex-servicemen's affairs
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McKay's Creek
Cairns. Probably named for George McKay, member at the first meeting of the Cairns Divisional Board which met on 20 July 1880 & who took up a selection at Wright's Creek in late 1879.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 134
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 27
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McKay Street
Cairns. Manoora. Possibly named for George McKay, member at the first meeting of the Cairns Divisional Board which met on 20 July 1880. He was in a butchering partnership with James Collinson
Source:
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 27
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 141
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McKenzie Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after C. M. McKenzie, Mayor of Cairns in 1905 and 1912-1913. The street name was approved at a Cairns Town Council meeting on 11 December 1922.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McKinlay Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after a worker who helped build and construct Mr. Ponticello's subdivision
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McKinnons Creek
See Collinsons Creek


McLachlan Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after Dr. Donald McLachlan who was Mayor of Cairns in 1904
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McLaughlin Road
Cairns. Edmonton. This road originated in 1885. The road was gravelled in a two stage process in about 1952 & 1960 & bituminised in two stages as well; the first in 1964 & the second in 1970
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 17
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


McLean Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after Neil McLean who died on 29 October 1898, aged 68. His wife, Barbara Dorothy McLean died on 12 October 1919, aged 91 years
Source:
Grimwade, Gordon. McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery. Conservation Proposals, 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McLeod drive
Weipa. In honour of Peter McLeod (1921-1991), Comalco's first General manager at Weipa
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


McLeod Hills
Hodgkinson Goldfield. Named after prospector William McLeod, who was in the area in 1875/1876
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 12


McLeod River
Palmer River District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1874 after a member of his prospecting expedition, William (Billy) McLeod.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 434


McLeod Street
Cairns. Cairns North/City. Named after Norman McLeod, clerk of the party of customs officials that arrived in Trinity Bay on the S.S. Porpoise on 6 October 1876. He acted as first postmaster & established the post office with an empty brandy case hung on his tent pole as the postal furniture. He died at Roper River in the Northern Territory
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 22
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 64, June 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McLeod Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1958 for Donald McLeod, Mareeba postmaster from 1898
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 60
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


McLeod Street
Thornborough. Named after prospector William McLeod who was in the district in 1875/76
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 13
Coordinates:
16 56 S 145 00 E


McMahon Road
Fishery Falls. Name approved on 1 November 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105


McManus Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Richard (Dick) T. McManus, Alderman of the Cairns City Council, 1930-1949. His wife was Paulina McManus (Nee Fox) who died in the early 1920s and was an indefatigable member of the Queensland Country Women's Association. He was president of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce, 1916-1920.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McPauls Creek
Bellenden Ker. Named after John McPaul Snr, who arrived in the district in 1888 & took up land here. He opened a butcher shop to supply residents in the Millville district & was also the mail carrier
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 163, June 1973


McPhail Street
Cairns. Edmonton. Named for R.F. McPhail, Head Teacher at the Hambledon State School in 1939. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 26 June 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


McPherson Close
Cairns. Edge Hill. Named after Cairns consulting engineer, Alan McPherson in circa 1983. He was president of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce, 1983-1987.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 46
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


McQuillen Street
Tully. Named after an early settler in the district
Source:
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 67
Coordinates:
17.56 S 145.56 E


Meagher Close
Innisfail. Named after Father Meagher, a Catholic Priest
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mecca Reef
Torres Strait. Named after the Iron steamship Mecca which was wrecked here on 24 June 1878
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 261-262


Meehan Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1962 for John (Jack) Jerome Meehan, horseman, cattleman & businessman
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 65
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Meerang Creek
Tully district (?). The Aboriginal word for the bean-tree
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Meerawa
Railway Siding south of Gordonvale. The name was given by the tramway board, but the meaning is not known. Until June 1900 its name was Spencer's Station.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Meeroo Street
Kuranda. Named by Surveyor G.D Edwards. He had lived among an Aboriginal group in the South Burnett district in Queensland & apparently named this street after an Aboriginal word from that language
Source:
Edwards, Ron. An Explorers Guide to Kuranda. Kuranda: Rams Skull Press, 1994, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Mein Street
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named for J.S.V. Mein who first camped at Green Island in 1857-1858. He set up a Beche-de-Mer Station there in 1858 & claimed to have climbed Mount Bellenden Ker at about the same time.
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 11-15
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Melaleuca Court
Weipa. Botanical genus
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Melaleuca Street
Cairns. Manunda. So named for the large melaleuca trees found here
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Melanie Rock
Great Barrier Reef. Possibly named after the schooner Melanie, one of the very early pearling fleet vessels which operated about 1870
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 256


Melanie Shoal
Torres Strait. Probably named after the schooner Melanie, one of the very early pearling fleet vessels which operated about 1870
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 256


Melbidir Reef
Torres Strait. Named after the Government boat Melbidir


Meldrum Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1975 for George Meldrum Jnr, a member of the Aboriginal Council of Elders
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 65
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Melville Passage
Great Barrier Reef. So named because it is the entrance to Cape Melville through the Great Barrier Reef. Cape Melville was named after Harden S. Melville, artist on HMS Fly in 1843. According to the Cooktown Library List it was named by Lieutenant Jeffries in 1792 for Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, Secretary of State for the Colonies
Source:
Liddell, Rodney. Cape York: The Savage Frontier, p. 271
Cooktown Shire Library name list


Melvin Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Named for Laurie Melvin, storekeeper in the Hambledon district circa 1900. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 26 June 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


Mena Creek
South of Innisfail. Originally Stewart's Creek, named in 1879 by T.H. Fitzgerald, probably after J.J. Stewart, an early cedar getter who accompanied Fitzgerald on that trip. Name changed as a tribute to the daughter of pioneer Henry Noone, Mena (Philomena) Fallon (Nee Noone)
Source:
Elder, R. W. Early times in Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society, 1985, p. 9


Mendi Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Mendi is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Meringa
Cairns. Experimental sugar station and railway station. Named circa 1914 by railway workers after an Aboriginal name, meaning red soil. It was so named because a patch of brilliant red schist soil a few hundred acres in extent occurs in the locality. Until June 1909 the railway station name was known as Mackey's Station
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 378 and 376
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 181, December 1974
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Merkara Shoal
Torres Strait. Named after the ship SS Merkara of the British India Steam Navigation Company which plied the steamship route through the Torres Strait for the British India Steam Navigation Company from 12 February 1881. This voyage was the first direct mail service between England & Queensland.
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 266.
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 32
Coordinates:
10 30 S 141 13 E


Merkunga Creek
Western Cape York Peninsula. Aboriginal term meaning gum tree. Named by John T. Embley in 1885-6
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 653


Merluna Place
Weipa. Named for Merluna Station on Cape York Peninsula
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Mermaid Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after a ship. Name approved in 1989. The Mermaid was commanded by Phillip Parker King in 1819-1820.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Merrybrook Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after Merrybrook farm which was the original name of Bugeja's farm. Simon Bugeja & his family grew bananas in the area for many years
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Meston Crescent
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named after Archibald Meston, (1851-11 March 1924), a noted Cairns identity, explorer, Member of Parliament for Rosewood for 3 years from 14 January 1879 & first Protector of Aborigines for Southern Queensland from 1898. He arrived in Cairns in August 1881 (15 February 1882 according to Collinson) & was Chairman of the Cairns Divisional Board for three terms from 6 February 1883 to 2 July 1884. In 1910 he was appointed Director of the Queensland Government Tourist Bureau in Sydney. He lived on a farm he owned at Kamerunga, called Cambanora and which he purchased in 1883 and he also had a selection on the Russell River. He was actively involved in ensuring that the railway line was secured for Cairns.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 119, April 1969
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 87
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 122
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Meston Range
Cape York. Named circa 1898 by officers of HMS Dart for Archibald Meston, then Protector of Aborigines
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 700


Mestrez Street
Cairns. Earlville/Mooroobool. Named after the Mestrez family, pioneers in the district. Charles Mestrez was manager of the Telegraph line at Cairns from September 1878
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 49
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Meunga Creek
North-west and west of Cardwell. Originally named the Marlow (Marlowe) River by Dalrymple in 1864 after Lieut. Marlow of the Native Mounted Police. From the earliest days it has been known by its Aboriginal name, Meunga Creek.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Mew River
Cape York Peninsula. Named by John MacGillivray of the Rattlesnake in 1849
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 264


Michael Street
Innisfail. Named after M.A. Romano
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Michaelmas Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Michaelmas Reef, south east of Port Douglas
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mick Borzi Drive
Cairns. Aeroglen. Continuation of Airport Drive. Named for Mick Borzi, OBE, who at age 27 was elected in 1961 as Chairman of the Mareeba Shire Council. He was Chairman of the Cairns Harbour Board (now the Cairns Port Authority) when the Cairns International Airport was opened on 31 March 1984 after the airport was taken over by the Harbour Board
Source:
Blakesley, Lea. Honour for Service. The Tablelander, 27 August 1996, p. 5
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Middle Oakey
See Hamilton


Middlemiss Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1891 for Billy Middlemiss, butcher
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 67
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Midgenoo
North of Tully. Railway siding. Named after the Aboriginal name for the place meaning cherry pindar tree
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Mighell
Innisfail suburb. After Sir Norman Mighell
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 12


Milano Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a town in Italy, Milan
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Miles Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after W. Miles who was the Queensland Minister for Works when the decision was made to build the Cairns Range railway in 1885. The portion west of Griffiths Street was renamed Upper Miles Street on 18 December 1995
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 50
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Milford Close
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after an early Cairns solicitor, E. A. Milford
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 50
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mill Street
Babinda. So named because it is situated at the entrance to the Babinda Mill
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Mill Street
Gordonvale. So named because it is where the Mulgrave Mill is situated
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Mill Street
Mossman. So named because it leads to the Mossman Mill
Coordinates:
16 28 S 145 23 E


Millaa Millaa
Atherton Tableland. Apparently Millaa Millaa means waterfalls. Supposedly named by Christie Palmerston.
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14
Coordinates:
17 31 S 145 37 E


Miller Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named for either John Miller, one of the customs officials who came to Cairns to open a port for the collection of customs duties on 6 October 1876, or Sinclair Miller, building contractor and one time Mayor of Cairns in 1908. He worked on the construction of the Hambledon Mill in 1882 as a carpenter. The street name was approved at a Cairns Town Council meeting on 11 December 1922.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 50
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Milln Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Milln Reef, east of Green Island
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Milman Hill
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. 104 metres (341 feet) high. Named for Hugh Miles Milman, Government Resident on Thursday Island
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Milman Islet
Torres Strait. Named for Hugh Miles Milman, Government Resident on Thursday Island


Milman Street
Cooktown. Named after Hugh Miles Milman, Police Magistrate, 1886-1891
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Queen of the North, 1979, p. 61
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E


Milman Street
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named for Hugh Miles Milman, Government Resident on Thursday Island
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Mimosa Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Minbun
Atherton Tableland. Named after the Minbun bora ground which was in the vicinity of the Minbun railway station. The word Minbun is supposedly an Aboriginal word for the brown possum
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Coordinates:
17 29 S 145 25 E


Minerva Avenue
Cairns. Mooroobool. Streets in this estate are named for a Roman theme. Minerva was a Roman goddess of handcrafts
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Minnie Street
Cairns. City/Parramatta Park. Named after the vessel Minnie Young
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mirriwinni
South of Babinda. Railway Station and township. Aboriginal name meaning mountain rock. Possibly a corruption of Merriwinnoo, an Aboriginal name for Mt. Bellenden Ker. Originally Mirriwinni was spelt with one r, the second R coming in some time after 1969. The original survey plan for the township was conducted in 1903
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 15
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 132-133
Coordinates:
17 24 S 145 55 E


Miskin Creek
Innisfail district. Named after A. E. Miskin, who selected land nearby
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388


Mission Bay
Yarrabah. Named because the Yarrabah Aboriginal Mission run by the Anglican Church was situated here. Captain Cook landed here on 11 June 1770 but did not assign a name to the Bay.


Mission Beach
So named because of the establishment there of the Hull River Aboriginal Mission Settlement in 1914. The Mission was destroyed by the 1918 cyclone. The Mission superintendent was J.M. Kenny. The township at Mission Beach was originally called Kenny after the superintendent. He and his step-daughter Kathleen died in the cyclone. The Mission was sited at what is now known as South Mission Beach. When the settlers at North Mission Beach met to select a name for their township the suggested Aboriginal name Birreah was rejected and the township called North Mission Beach instead. According to Mackness the Aboriginal name for North Mission Beach was Bhirriyeh.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 34 & 37
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E


Mission Channel
Gulf of Carpentaria. Locally known as Mission Channel because of the Mornington Island Mission. Officially known as Appel Channel for the Hon. J.G. Appel, Minister for Mines in 1910
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 723


Mission Drive
Mission Beach. So named because this was where the Hull Aboriginal Mission was situated. It was destroyed in the 1918 cyclone.
Coordinates:
17 35 S 145 36 E


Mission Hill
Cape Bedford. 171 metres (561 feet) high. Probably named for the Lutheran Mission established here at Elim Point in 1886.


Mission Hill
Lockhart River. Also known as Bare Hill. 82 metres (270 feet) high. So called because it is the site of the original Lockhart River Mission
Source:
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1973, p. 194


Mission River
Weipa. Discovered by Nicholas Hey of the Mapoon Mission circa 1895. He called it the Mission River "as no white man had ever been up it & it was not on the map". The name was approved by John Douglas, Government Resident for Thursday Island. Previously named the Myall Creek by the Jardines who camped at its head
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 136 & 683
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 106
Coordinates:
12 37 S 141 49 E


Missionary Bay.
Hinchinbrook Island. Named after a Mission Station that the Rev. Edward Fuller attempted to set up there in March 1874. He camped in the area where Missionary Bay is. He left the area in August 1874 after not being able to convert a single Aboriginal.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 200
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Mitchell River
Cape York. Named in 1845 by Ludwig Leichardt after fellow explorer Sir Thomas Mitchell. The river was surveyed by John Embley in April 1887
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Queen of the North, 1979, p. 19
Coordinates:
15 12 S 141 45 E


Mitchell River Mission Station
See Kowanyama


Mitchell Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after Mr. Mitchell who was the first teacher & headmaster at the Machans Beach State School in 1951
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 98
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mitchell Street
Mission Beach. Probably named after Thomas Mitchell, a labourer with the ill-fated 1848 Edmund Kennedy Expedition to Cape York.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 30
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E