Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names q - r

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns
Quarantine
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Suburb. So named because the quarantine station was located here
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Quarry Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. So-called because it led to the Council quarry in Aeroglen
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 62
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Quartzborough
Palmer River Goldfield. Named after the quartz rock in the district, where the land was very mountainous & broken. Quartzborough was one of the three townships that sprung up on the Limestone Field, the others being Groganville & Harbord. The gold rush began in 1887 Quartzborough was established in 1889. Originally known as the Four Mile (being 4 miles southeast of Groganville), it had failed by 1891. The Limestone Field was on the Limestone Pastoral Holding
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 403 & 101


Quatia
Soldier Settlement north of El Arish. Named after World War I after a site in the Palestine Campaign during World War I
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 62


Queen Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Probably named for the Queen of the time, Queen Victoria
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Queens Constance Goldmine
Mareeba. The Queen Constance Goldmine was named after the daughter of miner Alfred Hort
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 16
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Queenscliff Close
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Streets are named after Australian beaches in this sub-division. Queenscliff is a beach in Sydney
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Queerah
Cairns. Railway Station at Edmonton. Aboriginal name for cyclone. Originally called the Seven Mile (The distance from the centre of Cairns), then Warwon until June 1909. The suburb of Queerah is named after the meatworks.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 285, September 1983
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Quetta Close
Cairns. Manoora. Named in memory of the loss of the ship Quetta, which sank on 28 February 1890 after striking this rock in the Adolphus Channel, with the loss of 133 lives.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Quetta Close
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named to commemorate the sinking of the Quetta in 1890 with a large loss of life.
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Quetta Memorial Cathedral
Thursday Island. Anglican Cathedral built & named in memory of the loss of the ship Quetta, which sank on 28 February 1890, with the loss of 133 lives.
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Quetta Rock
Torres Strait. Named in memory of the loss of the ship Quetta, which sank on 28 February 1890 after striking this rock in the Adolphus Channel, with the loss of 133 lives. Previously the rock had been unnamed & uncharted
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 401


Quigley Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park/Westcourt. In the area of Don Quigley's paddock, where Moody and Quigley of the Livery Bait and stables at the corner of Lake and Spence Streets used to paddock and pasture their horses around 1905
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Quill Street
Mareeba. Named about 1934 for Cornelius Quill, the first person to live in this part of Mareeba
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 78
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Quinlan Street
Babinda. Named after the Quinlan family who lived at its junction with Munro Street
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Quondong Close
Cairns. Manoora. In the Soderberg subdivision where streets are named with a tree species theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


R. D. Bliss Lookout
Innisfail District. Named in the 1930s after Robert D. Bliss, locomotive driver & Chairman of the Innisfail Shire
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388


Rabaul Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Rabaul is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Racecourse Creek
Cardwell. So named because early day Picnic Race meetings were held there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 270


Racecourse Station
Cooktown. Opened in 1887 to service the Cooktown racecourse & named for the racecourse. The railway station ceased operating in the 1950s.
Source:
Knowles, J. W. The Cooktown Railway, 1966, p. 60-61
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E


Rachel Carson Reef
Great Barrier Reef, Lizard Island district. Named after American environmentalist Rachel Carson who caused a storm with the publication of her book "Silent Spring."


Raffa
Innisfail district. Named after a place in Palestine of interest in World War I
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13


Ragged Camp
West of Herberton. Silver was worked here on Ragged Creek. The name was ascribed to the place after a visit to the camp from a geologist in somewhat ragged clothes. The camp was also known as silver
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 212, July 1977
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 161
Coordinates:
17 26 S 145 8 E


Railway Avenue
Mareeba. Named about 1920 because houses in this street face the railway line
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 78
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Railway Parade
Innisfail. Road along northern side of railway line
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Raine Island
Great Barrier Reef. Named after Captain Thomas Raine (1793-1860), who surveyed the Great Barrier Reef in the Surry. Raine Island & Raine Passage were named after him in 1824. He discovered Raine island in late 1814 or early 1815
Source:
Raine Island Corporation. Third Annual Report 1883-1884, p. 2-3
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 44
Coordinates:
11 36 S 144 1 E


Raine Passage
Great Barrier Reef. Named after Captain Thomas Raine (1793-1860), who surveyed the Great Barrier Reef in the Surry in late 1814. Raine Island & Raine Passage were named after him in 1824. Also known as Raine Island Entrance
Source:
Raine Island Corporation. Third Annual Report 1883-1884, p. 2-3
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 387
Coordinates:
11 36 S 144 1 E


Rains Street
Mareeba. Named about 1977 for the Rains family. Fred & Elizabeth Raines arrived in Mareeba in 1925 & set up a fruit business
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 78
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Raintree Close
Mareeba. Named on 19th September 1985 as it was intended to plant rain trees throughout the area. This never eventuated.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 79
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rainy Mountain Place
Cairns. Smithfield. Named after Rainy Mountain, on Kiowa Nation lands, in Oklahoma, USA. The mountain became famous after the publication of a book of the same name by N. Scott Momaday
Source:
Internet (http://users.mwci.net/~lapoz/rainymt.htm)
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ralph Leinster Memorial Picnic Area
Mareeba. Named about 1979 for Mareeba identity & councillor, Ralph Edwin James Leinster (1908-1963)
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 109
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rambutan Close
Cairns. Manoora. In the Brookside Estate where the Queensland Housing Commission requested all street names be related to tropical fruits
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ramleh
Innisfail district, south of Innisfail. Railway siding named after a place in Palestine of interest in World war I
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13


Ramsay Bay
Hinchinbrook Island. Named after a resident of Sydney by Commander George Strong Nares (1831-1915) of HMS Salamander in 1866, during a two year survey of the Australian coastline.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Ramsey Drive
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after the first Cairns publican in 1887
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ramu Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. The Ramu River is in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rankin Street
Innisfail. Named by Survey Warraker for Surveyor Edward Baird Rankin in 1883
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Rankin Street
Mareeba. Named in 1891 for Edward Baird Rankin, surveyor of Mareeba in 1891 & 1892
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 79
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rankoe Creek
See Sunday Creek


Rattlesnake Channel
Great Barrier Reef. Princess Charlotte Bay area. Named after HMS Rattlesnake


Rattlesnake Island
Halifax Bay, South of Palm Island. Named after the ship Rattlesnake
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144
Coordinates:
19 02 S 146 37 E


Rattlesnake Point
Prince of Wales Island, Torres Strait. Named after HMS Rattlesnake.
Coordinates:
10 44 S 142 15 E


Rattlesnake Point
Cape Tribulation area. Named after HMS Rattlesnake.
Coordinates:
15 50 S 145 23 E


Rattlesnake Reefs
Great Barrier Reef. Princess Charlotte Bay area. Named after HMS Rattlesnake


Ravenshoe
Atherton Tableland. So named because the first surveyor into the area found a portion of Charles Kingsley's novel Ravenshoe, which had been left in the fork of a tree by an early traveller. Originally called Cedar Creek after Mazlin found cedar there in 1881.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 68
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 115
Coordinates:
17 36 S 145 29 E


Ray Howarth Park
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named for Ray Howarth who was the driving force behind the development of the Half Moon Bay Golf Club
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, Chapter 12
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ray Road
Mareeba. Named about 1942 for the Ray family who arrived in Mareeba in 1911. They were farmers
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 80
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Reardon Street
Innisfail. Associated with Mulholland in the construction of the water tower and water system
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 22
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Red Bluff
Laura District, Cape York Peninsula. So named because of its reddish colour. The Aboriginal name is Jowalbinna, meaning dingo ear
Source:
Holthouse, Hector. The Australian Geographic Book of Cape York, 1991, p. 16


Red Fruit Island
Torres Strait, off Mabuiag Island. So named for the many wongai trees that grow here
Source:
Teske, Travis. Mabuiag: Island of Torres Strait, 198-, p. 26
Coordinates:
9 57 S 142 10 E


Red River
Einsleigh District. Originally named Byerley Creek by the Jardine brothers who passed this way in October 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 295


Red Road
Port Douglas to Craiglee. So called because red soil was laid over the sand found here to make the track passable.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 109, May 1968


Red Wallis Island
See Wallis Island


Redbank
Cairns. Edmonton, on the Mackey Creek. Originally known as Stewarts landing because Andy Stewart had his store here on the Redbank of MacKeys Creek. The name was changed in December 1884 to Edithvale. Later changed again to Redbank. Redbank was a small settlement to which small ships came to discharge cargo. It was named after the red soil found here
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 393
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 115
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 146
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redbank Road
Gordonvale. So named because this was the route to Redbank on Mackeys Creek. Redbank was a small settlement to which small ships came to discharge cargo
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 33
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Redcap
Chillagoe District. Originally known as Redbank, with silver being discovered in 1888. Redcap was surveyed on 9 September 1899 & was named after the prominent red-capped hill on the northern side of the Redcap Creek.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 199
Coordinates:
17 4 S 144 25 E


Redden Creek
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after William Peter Redden, an early landholder in the area
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 8
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redden Island
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after W.P. Redden, an early landholder in the area.
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 8
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redden Street
Cairns. Portsmith. Named after an early businessman, Peter Redden, who was also an Alderman in 1888
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redfern Place
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after the old plantation & homestead situated in the area
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redlynch
Cairns suburb. Originally called Eight Mile Station because by distance it was 8 miles from Cairns and changed to Redlynch by November 1887. The reason for the name is unclear. It was possibly named after the red of the Red Bluff nearby. The story that it was named after a red haired itinerant railway worker named Lynch is considered improbable. Most probable explanation is that it was named after a village in Wiltshire, England. Redlynch is an old English name meaning Reed Marsh
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 280
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redlynch Intake Road
Cairns. Jungara/Redlynch. So named because it goes from Redlynch to Crystal Cascades, the site of the city's water supply. It was gazetted as a tourist road in February 1933
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 315-318
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Redwood Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Chas. Redwood, company manager of H.M. Svendsen Pty. Ltd., Undertakers
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 63
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Reed Road
Cairns. Trinity Park. Originally known as Pullar Road, after George Pullar, who owned the adjacent area. The Park at the end of the road was known as Hesp Park in the late 1960s after J. Hesp, who purchased land here & held the lease for the caravan park. The road was gazetted in 1926
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 179-180
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Reed Street
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after Dr John Hastings Reed (1865-1931), manager of Hambledon Mill from 1897 till at least 1916 & was a foundation committee member of the Cairns Stock exchange which opened on 7 May 1906.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 414, May 1995
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Reid Road
Mission Beach. Named after The Reid family. Captain Reid of the Torres Strait Pilot Service took up a block at the junction of North and South Mission Beach Roads circa 1912. The property was worked by 2 cousins, David and Rob Reid, as banana plantations. David Reid died and is buried there.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 295
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 36
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E


Reids Avenue
Mareeba. Named circa 1939 for Frederick Reid, mining pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 80
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Reliance Street
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after an English explorer ship. Name approved in 1989.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Renouf Street
Ingham. Named for an Hinchinbrook Shire Councillor, J. Renouf
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E


Renton Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Named for A.M. Renton, school committee member in 1890 of the Hambledon State School. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 26 June 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


Research Point
Lizard Island. So named because the Lizard Island Research Station is located here.
Coordinates:
14 30 S 144 58 E


Reservoir Road
Cairns. Kanimbla/Manoora. So-called because it travels towards the City Reservoir
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Resolution Drive
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after a ship. Name approved in 1989. HMS Resolution was commanded by Captain Cook on his second & third voyages in the 1770s
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Restoration Island
Cape York Peninsula, north of Lockhart River. Named by Captain William Bligh, who landed here on 28 May 1789; "Because this day being the anniversary of the restoration of King Charles II, & the name not being inapplicable to our present situation (for we were restored to fresh life & strength), I named this Restoration Island". Restoration Rock is 1 km east of Restoration Island & is 33 metres (110 feet) high.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 99
Coordinates:
12 37 S 143 28 E


Return Creek
Mount Garnet. The Aboriginal name for the creek was Nanyeta, meaning come back or return. On some old maps the creek was shown as Nanyeta, but is now known as return Creek
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 221


Revolver Point
Town on the Palmer River Goldfield. Named after a claim jumping dispute
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 107
Coordinates:
16 1 S 144 16 E


Rex Lookout
On the Cook Highway, at its highest point north of Wangetti. Named for Raymond David Rex (born 21/12/1873), Chairman of the Douglas Shire from 1933 to 1966 and a councillor from 1913-1955. The lookout was officially opened on 21 August 1982


Rex Road
Port Douglas to the Tableland. The first rough track was cut in 1946. It was opened as a gravel road on 2 January 1949 & was fully bituminised & improved by 1983. Named for Raymond David Rex (born 21/12/1873), Chairman of the Douglas Shire from 1933 to 1955 and a Douglas Shire Councillor from 1913-1955
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Wilderness Coast, 1987, p. 109


Reynolds Park
Port Douglas. Named after the Reynolds family, pioneers in the district. James Reynolds came to Port Douglas in 1883
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Port of Promise, 1986, p. 57
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Reynolds Road
Innisfail. Named after an early resident
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Reynolds Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1966 for Billy Reynolds, lamplighter of Mareeba
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 81
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rhapis Court
Cairns. Whitfield. Name selected by the developers
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ribbon Avenue
Port Douglas. Named after Ribbon Reef, north east of Cooktown
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Ribbon Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Ribbon Reef, north east of Cooktown
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rice Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1934 for George Mulholland Rice, storekeeper & mailman
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 81
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Richards Island
See Bedarra Island


Richards Point
Great Barrier Reef. Princess Charlotte Bay area. Flinders Island. Named after Captain George H. Richards of HMS Hecate, who passed this way in 1862. The name was probably bestowed by the surveying ship HMS Dart in the 1890s
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 346


Richards Street
Cardwell. Named after Captain G.H. Richards of H.M.S. Hecate who explored the district in 1863
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409
Coordinates:
18 16 S 146 1 E


Richardson Range
Cape York. Named by the Jardine brothers on 16 January 1865 after Archibald J. Richardson, the surveyor on their expedition
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 78
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 320


Richmond
See Freshwater


Richmond Court
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after the old plantation & homestead, called Richmond Park Estate, situated in the district. Originally James Burke's selection, it was subdivided into 164 lots in 1886. The original estate was situated on a hill overlooking Freshwater Creek & the Barron River.
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 210
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Richter's Creek
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named after C. Richter, who owned land in the area. Originally known as Petersen's Creek after Adolph W.M. Petersen, who owned the land in this area
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, p. 60
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 184
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rignold Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after the Overseer of works, 1889
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Riley Street
Innisfail. Named after James Riley, a builder
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Riordan Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1959, for the Riordan family, William James (Bill) Riordan was a teamster
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 81
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Ripple Street
Innisfail. Named after a ship that called into the Johnstone River
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Risk Point
Cape York Peninsula, opposite Hannibal Islands. Probably named after Lieutenant Risk of the 1845 Fly & Bramble expedition
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 178
Coordinates:
11 35 S


River Avenue
Innisfail. Road alongside the South Johnstone River
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


River Drive
Weipa. So named because it is alongside the Mission River
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Riverside Crescent
Innisfail. Along eastern bank of riverside
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Riverside Parade
Cairns. Trinity Park. So named because this road is adjacent to a tributary of the Half Moon River
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Riverstone Road
Gordonvale. Honours the name of Riverstone, which in the 1880s and 1890s a popular rest area and hotel for travellers and teamsters from the coastal settlements to the various mining areas on the Tablelands. Riverstone was established by Richard Blackwell and William Saunders Alley in 1877 who provided a weekly coach service to Cairns. The hotel was built before 1882 and burned down in 1907
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Riverview Close
Mareeba. Named circa 1977 because it is close to the Barron River & has a view of the river
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 81
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Riverview Terrace
Mareeba. Named circa 1951 because it is close to the Barron River & has a view of the river
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 82
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rob Veivers Drive
Kuranda. Named after Rob Veivers, a prominent Kuranda citizen
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Robb Road
Cairns. Redlynch. Named after John Robb, a construction engineer who undertook the building of the range section of the Kuranda Range railway in the late 1880s
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Robb's Monument
A large rock on the Cairns-Kuranda railway named after John Robb who was responsible for constructing the railway line from 1887
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 283


Robb Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named after John Robb, a construction engineer who undertook the building of the range section of the Kuranda Range railway in the late 1880s
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Robert Street
Atherton. Named after Robert Stone Putt, father of Edward Creber Putt, one of the first settlers in the district
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 112
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Roberts Road
Cairns. Edmonton. The road was gravelled in 1955 & a bitumen surface placed in 1957. Originally known as Robert Road for Ernie Robert, an early settler. This road led to his property
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 16
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Robin Close
Cairns. Woree. Named after a bird. The name was approved on 17 October 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Robins Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1948 for George Robins, blacksmith & his wife Susan Ann, midwife. They arrived in Mareeba in 1906
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 82
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Robinson Road
Cairns. Smithfield. Named after the property holder in this area
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 185
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Robson Creek
Atherton Tableland. Named after the pioneering brothers Joe & Dave Robson
Source:
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine February 1929, p. 77


Robson's Track
Between Gordonvale & The Tableland, roughly where the Gillies Highway is today. Blazed by & named after James Robson. The track was blazed in the late 1870s or 1880 & the first tin was Herberton was brought down the track on 17 July 1880
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 88
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 144


Robson Street
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after James Robson, an early Cairn's pioneer & track blazer, who, on 1 January 1884 was the recipient of an illuminated address and a gold watch and chain for his services to the district in opening tracks over the range. The presentation took place at Stewart's Store at the head of the Cairns Inlet. In the 1880s he owned the property Fernvale in the White Rock district. Later on he moved to a better site at the foot of the range near Foster's and called his second home Waterview.
Source:
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 43
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 32
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rockingham
On the Tully River, it was named after Rockingham Bay into which the river discharges. It was surveyed on 25 April 1883 by C.T. Bedford. The town was never settled. Rockingham Bay was named on 9 June 1770 by Captain Cook after Charles Watson Wentworth, Second Marquis of Rockingham 1730-1782 & Whig Prime Minister of England, 1765-66 & 1782
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 307
Coordinates:
18 00 S 145 55 E


Rockingham Bay
Bay north of Cardwell. Named on 9 June 1770 by Captain Cook after Charles Watson Wentworth, Second Marquis of Rockingham 1730-1782 & Prime Minister of England, 1765-66 & 1782
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
18 08 S 146 02 E


Rockingham Channel
See Hinchinbrook Channel


Rockingham Close
Mission Beach. Probably named after Rockingham Bay north of Cardwell which was named on 9 June 1770 by Captain Cook after Charles Watson Wentworth, Second Marquis of Rockingham 1730-1782 & Prime Minister of England, 1765-66 & 1782
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
17 35 S 145 36 E


The Rocks Road
Cairns. Jungara. So named because this road leads to The Rocks, a popular swimming hole on the Freshwater Creek
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rockton Place
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named for a ship, the steamer Rockton. Used in the late 19th & early 20th century to transport bananas to the Sydney & Melbourne markets
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 252
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rocky Bluffs
West of Herberton. So named because it was situated on a rocky bluff. The township was the terminus for the spur line from Stannary Hills
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 161
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 257
Coordinates:
17 18 S 145 17 E


Rocky Creek
Western Cape York Peninsula. Named by Leichardt
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 138


Rodda Street
Cairns. Bungalow. Named after Alderman T. Rodda who was elected at the first meeting of the Cairns Municipal Council held at Council Chambers on 22 July 1885
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Roebuck Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after an British explorer ship. Name approved on 6 February 1989. The Roebuck under William Dampier visited the West Australian Coast in 1699
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Rogers Close
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Ken Rogers, a local draftsman who did the property plan work for the subdivider
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rollinia Close
Cairns. Manoora. In the Brookside Estate where the Queensland Housing Commission requested all street names to be related to tropical fruits
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Roman Creek
Palmer River District. Named circa 1870s after Sam the Roman, a Roumanain & afterwards a well known Hodgkinson identity
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 442


Ronto Close
Cairns. Manoora. Named after Eugene Ronto, an engineer responsible for sub-divisions with the Cairns City Council, in 1977
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rosario Close
Mareeba. Named on 21 May 1987 for Rosario Mammino, farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 82
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rose Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after Rose Tooma, who previously owned the land
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Roseblade Street
Yungaburra. Named after the Roseblade family, one of the original selectors under the Homestead Settlement Scheme. John Musto Roseblade (1845-1916) & Lucy Roseblade & their family took up land in 1891. Their children were Charlie & Gertie Roseblade who managed the post office circa 1907
Source:
Yesterday & Today: Eacham Shire, 1979, p. 5
The Pioneers speak, 1990, p. 8
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 35 E


Rosehill
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Suburb. The name was changed to Abednego on 29 May 1982 for Kamuel Abednego, a prominent local identity, trade unionist & war hero, who passed away in 1985. The suburb changed back to its original name of Rosehill in 1991
Source:
Personal communication with John Scott
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Rosewood Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Rosewood tree (Dysoxylum fraserianum). This tree is also known as the Rose Mahogany tree
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rosina Creek
Innisfail district. Probably named in the 1880s by Christie Palmerston after his sister
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 64


Rossville
South of Cooktown. Named after Charles Ross, who financed early prospectors in 1886. According to Glenville Pike it was named after Jack Ross
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no 50, April 1963
Pike, Glenville. The Wilderness Coast, 1987, p. 95


Rotaract Park
Mareeba. Named about 1982 for the Rotaract Club, who developed the park
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 109
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rotarary Park
Mareeba. Named about 1955 for the Rotarary Club, who developed the park
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 110
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Round Back Hills
Cape York Peninsula, Janet Range, south of the Pascoe River. Named by the officers of the surveying ships Paluma & Dart, 1890-1898.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225


Round Hill
Cape Flattery area. 175 metres (574 feet) high. So named because of its distinctive dome shape
Source:
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1973, p. 178
Coordinates:
14 48 S 145 00 E


Routh's Gorge
Georgetown district. Named for Dr. Rough, a doctor in charge at the Georgetown Hospital in the 1880s
Source:
Cairns Historical Society no. 117, 1969


Row Street
Ingham. Named for Hinchinbrook Shire Councillors, E.C & J. Row
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E


Rowney Street
Innisfail. Named after early settler A.J.Rowney
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Royal Palm Drive
Mission Beach. Named after the Royal Palm Estate which was named by the real estate company managing the estate development
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E


Royes Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1964 for the Royes family. Charles Mordaunt Royes (1851-1919) had a carrying business
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 82
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Rudder Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Rudder Reef, east of Cape Tribulation
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rudder Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Rudder Reef, east of Cape Tribulation
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Rumula
Mount Molloy railway. Named after an Aboriginal man who camped in the area
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Rungert Street
Innisfail. Named after Carl Gottfried Emil Rungert in 1894. He was an early settler
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Rushworth Road
Gordonvale. Named after Wright Rushworth, who took up cane farming in the area at the turn of the century
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Russell Goldfield
See Russell River


Russell River.
South of Cairns. Named by Dalrymple in 1873 after Lady Normanby, wife of Marquis of Normanby, Governor of Queensland, 1871-1875. Russell was her family name. The Russell Goldfield was named after the Russell River
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 31
Bellenden Ker State School. Celebrating its Diamond Jubilee, 1982, p. 3


Rutherford Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after a 1930s Cairns surveyor, P.C. Rutherford
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ryan Close
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named after John Michael Ryan, a very early resident of Cairns and who was a cordial manufacturer. He was a member of the inaugural Cairns Road Board in 1879. He was an inaugural alderman on the Cairns Town Council , having topped the poll in the July 1885 elections. He was a member of the first Health Board of Cairns, appointed on 9 July 1881. He died on 24 September 1898, aged 63 years.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 89, 140, 195
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ryan Street
Innisfail. Named after Constable Ryan who was one of the first policemen
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E