Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names s

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns

Saars Creek
See Czar's Creek



Sabine Range
East of Tully. Named by Sub-Inspector Johnstone in 1873 after Lieut. Sabben of the Basilisk because of his activities in the search for survivors from the Maria. Moresby used the spelling Sabben while Johnstone's police boat named after him eventually became the Sabrina
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p.54



Sachs Street
See Grafton Street



Saddle Mountain Road
Kuranda. So named because this road leads to Saddle Mountain, which is 652 metres (2 140 feet) above sea level
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E



Saddle Mountain Road
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Named after Saddle Mountain (652 metres) which is to the west of the suburb. Name approved on 19 December 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sadie's Beach
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named for Sadie Loban, wife of Ted Loban. In the 1970s Ted set out with his wife Sadie to clear the land on the foreshore near Hocking's Point.
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E



Safron Close
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E



Saidor Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Saidor is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Salamander Reef
Torres Strait. Named after HMS Salamander, under the command of George Strong Nares (1831-1915), which reported this reef in 1865.
Source:
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1973, p. 199
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 236
Coordinates:
11 47 S 143 40 E



Salihe Avenue
Mareeba. Named circa 1981 for Salihe Myrteza, who arrived in Mareeba in 1938 & worked a farm with her husband Demir
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 83
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Salisbury
See Port Douglas



Saltwater Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named by Carron of the Kennedy Expedition in 1848 as it "is a salt-water creek among salt lagoons"
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 642



Sam Elliot Lookout
Palmer River Goldfield. Named after Sam Elliot, one of the last prospectors on the Goldfield
Source:
Johnson, Lesley. Preserving the Palmer legacy. North Queensland register 20 February 1986



Samwell Street
Croydon. Named after William Samwell, first mining warden at Croydon
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Croydon Gold, 1986, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 33 S 145 18 E



San Antonio Reef
Halifax Bay. Named after the ship San Antonio which went aground there in 1821
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



San Remo Beach
See Holloway's Beach



Sandpiper Court
Cairns. Woree. Named after a bird.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sandy Creek
Georgetown. Presumably named because where first discovered or crossed it had a sandy creek bed
Coordinates:
18 17 S 143 33 E



Sandy Creek
Palmer River District. Named by James venture Mulligan in July 1873
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 416



Sapphire Close
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Streets in this subdivision are named after minerals and gemstones. Sapphire is a precious stone consisting of corundum and is usually, although not always, blue.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Satellite Reef
Great Barrier Reef, off Port Douglas. Named for the ship Satellite, commanded by Robert Gore which discovered this reef in 1822
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 72
Coordinates:
16 26 S 145 41 E



Satellite Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Satellite Reef off Port Douglas, which is named for the ship Satellite, commanded by Robert Gore which discovered this reef in 1822
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 72
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Satinash Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Yarrabah Satinash (Syzygium angophoroides) and the Paperbark Satinash (Syzygium papyraceum) rainforest trees
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Satinay Close
Cairns. Manoora. Named after the satinay tree
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 65
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Saunders Islet
Great Barrier Reef. Situated on the north western end of Thrush Reef. Named by Captain Cook after Able Seaman Saunders, a member of his crew



Saveka Point
St. Pauls, Moa Island, Torres Strait. Named after Saveka, the first man who lived here. He was from Rotuma, & married a woman from Murray Island
Source:
Teske, Travis. St. Pauls : Moa, 1986, p. 40



Savina Park
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after the Savina family who owned the land & grew sugar cane until they had the land subdivided in the 1970s
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 32
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Saw Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after Beatrice & James Saw who owned the first Post Office & Store in Machans Beach. They arrived in the early 1940s
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 98
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sawmill Point
Hinchinbrook Island. The site of Page Lovell and Co.'s sawmill in the early 1880s
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E



Saxon Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Saxon Reef, east of Port Douglas
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sazil Mud
Yam Island, Torres Strait. Meaning the place where the root that kills fish grows
Source:
Teske, Travis. Yam, 198-, p. 12
Coordinates:
9 53 S 142 45 E



Scarborough Close
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Streets are named after Australian beaches in this sub-division. Scarborough is a beach in Perth
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Scheu Creek
Innisfail District. Named after Heinrich Gottfried Scheu, an early pioneer. He was born in 1844 and died on 24 May 1909 in Innisfail. He arrived at Cardwell in 1874 and was at Smithfield in 1877. He was a miner on the Palmer River and also a selector, cedar getter, hotelier, explorer and track blazer
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 65



Scheu Street
Innisfail. Named after an original pioneering family. Heinrich Gottfried Scheu was born in 1844 and died on 24 May 1909 in Innisfail. He arrived at Cardwell in 1874 and was at Smithfield in 1877. He was a miner on the Palmer River and also a selector, cedar getter, hotelier, explorer and track blazer. He was a timber getter at Narragon in 1876 and worked for Fitzgerald at Geraldton.
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 31
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



School Street
Babinda. Named because the Babinda State School (when it was in Church Street), was directly opposite it
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin, October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



School Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. So named because the Machans Beach State School is at the end of the road
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Scott Street
Cairns. Bungalow/Parramatta Park. Named after Sir Robert Scott, polar explorer
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Scout Cap Island
See Haycock Island



Scrubby Creek
See Carrington See Nyleta



Scrutton River
Cape York Peninsula. Named by the Jardine brothers in 1864 after Charles Joseph Scrutton, a member of the Jardines' 1865-65 expedition
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 658



Scullen Avenue
Innisfail. Named after early resident James Scullen
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Sea Point
See Flying Fish Point



Seafarer Street
Mission Beach. Several streets in South Mission Beach are named for a nautical theme.
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Seaforth Vale
Mourilyan District. Named by Dalrymple in October 1873
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66



Seamark Road
Atherton Tableland. Named after Erskine Dore Seamark who farmed in the area from 1909
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 121, June 1987



Seary Close
Cairns. Manoora. Named for Mr Seary, an Alderman 1967-1970 & 1987. The name was approved by the Cairns City Council on 7 December 1987
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Seary Road
Mareeba. Named on 16 August 1984 for the Seary family. Pat Seary arrived in Mareeba in the 1920s as Sergeant-in-charge of the police
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 83
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Seaview Range
West of Ingham. Named by Dalrymple in 1863 because he saw the Pacific Ocean from its summit
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Seaview Street
Mission Beach. So named because this street runs west to east towards the beach
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



See Lee Creek
Cairns. Named after See Lee who had a garden here.
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 53, July 1963
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sefton Creek
Cape York. Named after prospector & explorer Robert Sefton in 1880 by Robert Logan Jack. Sefton had camped in this area in April 1878 while prospecting for gold
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 555



Selby Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Streets in this estate are named for ex-Hambledon Mill employees. Name approved by Council on 31 October 1994
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E



Severin Street
Cairns. Manunda/Parramatta Park. Named after Louis Severin, timber merchant and builder, who had a hardware business in Abbott Street and a timber yard in Spence Street in the very early years of Cairns. He arrived with the first party from Cooktown in 1876. He was a member of the first Cairns Divisional Board constituted on 20 July 1880. He was amongst the Alderman present at the first meeting of the Cairns Municipal Council in the Council Chambers in July 22 1885 and was Mayor in 1887-1888 and 1903. He was born about 1849 in France and died in Cairns on 7 January 1905 and is buried in the McLeod Street cemetery. Severin Street was originally known as Swamp Street, because it marked the edge of the extensive Cairns central swamp
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 149
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sextant Rock
Great Barrier Reef, 1 mile south east of the tip of Cape York. So named by Captain Cook in 1770 because he used this rock to establish his position
Source:
Sextant Rock. North Australian Monthly vol 4 no 11, June 1958, p. 51
Coordinates:
10 42 S 142 33 E



Sexton Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. Named after the Sub-collector of Customs from 1919 to 1938
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Seymour Range
North-east of Innisfail. Named after D.T. Seymour, then Commissioner of Police in Queensland, By George Dalrymple in October 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 24



Seymour River
Ingham district. Named after D.T. Seymour, the then Commissioner of Police
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Seymour Street
Innisfail. Named after a Captain Seymour who held land at Mourilyan
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Seymour Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after Seymour Howe, who was Manager of the Mulgrave Mill and who was greatly connected with the sugar industry. Named in 1939
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shadwell Peak
Cape York Peninsula. Cape Grenville area. 69 metres (226 feet) high. Named after Lieutenant Shadwell of HMS Fly who surveyed the area in 1845



Shadwell Point
Torres Strait. Wednesday Island. Named after Lieutenant Shadwell of HMS Fly who surveyed the area in 1845
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 178
Coordinates:
10 32 S 142 17 E



Shale Street
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named after a rock type
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shang Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after a distinguished World War I soldier, Caleb Shang. He was awarded 2 Distinguished Conduct Medals & Military Medal. He arrived home in March 1919 to a Mayoral welcome before 3 000 people
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 442
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shannon Drive
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shanty Creek
East of Mareeba. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 5



Shaw Road
Innisfail. Named after Frank Edwin Shaw, an early businessman in Innisfail, born 1871, died 18 October 1926. He arrived in Innisfail in 1896. He was a manager, cane farmer, Shire Councillor in 1908 and Shire Chairman in 1913
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 22
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Shaw's Hill
Innisfail. Named after Frank Edwin Shaw, an early businessman in Innisfail, born 1871, died 18 October 1926. He arrived in Innisfail in 1896. He was a manager, cane farmer, Shire Councillor in 1908 and Shire Chairman in 1913
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66



Shearer Avenue
Cairns. Manunda. Named after J. Shearer who owned the land before it was sub-divided. He was the local manager for A.C.F. Shirleys Fertilisers
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 66
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sheehy Road
Cairns. White Rock. Named after a farmer then living in the area. Previously known as Eardley Road after an early settler.
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 59 S 145 45 E



Shelburne Bay
Eastern Cape York Peninsula, north of Lockhart River. Named on 21 August 1770 by Captain James Cook. Lord Shelburne was Secretary of State, 1766-1768
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 49
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 172
Coordinates:
11 52 S 143 00 E



Shell Street
Innisfail. Shell fuel depot situated at this spot
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Shephard Bay
Hinchinbrook Island. Named by Commander George Strong Nares (1831-1915) of HMS Salamander in 1866, during a two year survey of the Australian coastline, for a prominent resident in Sydney
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E



Sheppard Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1963 for "Happy Jack" Hugh Sheppard, auctioneer & commission agent who arrived in Mareeba in the 1890s
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 85
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Sheppards Street
Gordonvale. Named after Thomas Sheppards, an early farmer in the Mackey Creek area
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E



Sheridan Street
Cairns. City/Cairns North. Named after Brinsley Guise Sheridan, Police Magistrate at Cardwell from 1870-1878, who was commissioned by the Queensland Government to select a site on Trinity Bay for the township of Cairns. He died in 1878 and is buried in the Cooktown cemetery. He was the descendent of the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
Source:
Establishment Trinity Bay: a collection of historical episodes. Cairns: Cairns historical Society, 1984, p. 22
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sheridan Street
Cardwell. Named after Brinsley Guise Sheridan, Police Magistrate at Cardwell from 1870-1878, who was commissioned by the Queensland Government to select a site on Trinity Bay for the township of Cairns. He died in 1878 and is buried in the Cooktown cemetery. He was the descendent of the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
Source:
Establishment Trinity Bay: a collection of historical episodes. Cairns: Cairns historical Society, 1984, p. 22
Coordinates:
18 16 S 146 1 E



Sherwood Street
Innisfail. Dr Craig's house was named Sherwood
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Shields Street
Cairns. City. Named for W. Tennant Shields, manager of the Queensland National Bank first at Georgetown, then at Cooktown and finally at Cairns
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 103
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shipton's Flat
Bloomfield District. Named after George & Arthur Shipton, brothers who found tin here & lived here for many years
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 233
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 50, April 1963
Coordinates:
15 48 S 145 14 E



Shoal Cape
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh on 3 June 1789 due to large sand banks found here to the south & a large reef to the north
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 102
Gill, J.C.H. The Missing Coast, 1988, p. 112
Coordinates:
10 36 S 142 12 E



Shoal Rivulet
See Johnstone River



Shoalhaven
See Mourilyan



Short Street
Innisfail. So named because of its short length
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Short Street
Babinda. Named after Mr. Short, General Manager of the Central Sugar Mills before they were acquired by farmers in the various districts and run as co-operatives. He was based in Brisbane and made periodic visits to Babinda when the Government owned the mill
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Short Street
Cairns. Cairns North. So named because it was a short street
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 67
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Short Street
Georgetown. So named because it is a short street
Coordinates:
18 17 S 143 33 E



Short Street
Cairns. White Rock. Surveyed in 1954 & regravelled in 1962. Probably so named because it is a very short street
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 10
Coordinates:
16 59 S 145 45 E



Short Street
Cairns. Redlynch. So named because it is a short street
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 67
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Shortland Reef
Great Barrier Reef. Apparently named by the survey ship Paluma circa 1892
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 250



Sikh Temple Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after the Sikh temple which is situated on this road
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Silkwood
Innisfail district, named after a species of maple tree found there. It was the name of A.J. Daveson's original homestead, built around 1902 and was later adopted for the Post Office and the settlement
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 12
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Silver Valley
See Newellton



Simbai Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Named after a town in Madang province in Papua New Guinea
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Simmonds Street
Gordonvale. Honours Henry Simmonds, an early settler in the Packer's Camp area. He was a major instigator in the establishment of the Mulgrave Central Mill Company in 1893 and was its first Chairman in 1896. He served on the Mulgrave Council for various terms as a Councillor and Chairman
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 67
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E



Simmonds Street
Babinda. After Wilfred Mylchreest Simmonds, a cane farmer and one time Chairman of the Shire Council in 1932
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Simms Road
Tolga. Named after Frank Sims, a dairy farmer on the Tablelands who built a weekend house at Yorkeys Knob & retired there
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, p. 42
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Simon Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after Simon Bugeja, who with his wife & family owned the land where the road is situated
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 44
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Simpson Hill
Cape York Peninsula, Janet Range, south of the Pascoe River. 113 metres (370 feet) high. Named by the officers of the surveying ship Paluma, 1890. Named either for Lieutenant H.G. Simpson of the Rattlesnake or T. Beckford Simpson, master of the Freak.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225 & 696



Simpson Point
North of Cairns. Probably named either for Lieutenant H.G. Simpson of the Rattlesnake or C.H. Simpson, commander of the HMAS Penguin which surveyed the area in 1905



Simpson Street
Ingham. Named for those killed in action during World War I & II & Korea. This street honours J. Simpson
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E



Sims Esplanade
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named after Frank Sims, a dairy farmer on the Tablelands who built a weekend house at Yorkeys Knob & retired to it circa 1930s
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, p. 42
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sinclair Creek
Western Cape York. Named by the Jardine brothers on 1 January 1865. New Year Creek, also named by the brothers on the same day, appears to be the same creek as Sinclair Creek
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 311



Sing Hop's Creek
See Chinaman's Creek



Sir Charles Hardy Islands
Great Barrier Reef, east of Shelburne Bay. Two stony Islands. Named on 20 August 1770 by Captain James Cook, for Sir Charles Hardy, who became an admiral in 17770.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 49
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 172
Coordinates:
11 55 S 143 28 E



Sir Everard Home Islands
Cape Grenville. Named by Captain Phillip King on 20 July 1819 after Sir Everard Home, a noted zoologist
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 150
Coordinates:
11 58 S 143 16 E



Sir William Thomson Range
Western Cape York Peninsula. Named by Robert Logan Jack in February 1880 after Sir William Thomson, later Lord Kelvin
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 76
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 565 & 695



Sircom Street
Croydon. Named after Mr. Sircom, a mining surveyor, who surveyed the early mining leases in the area
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Croydon Gold, 1986, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 33 S 145 18 E



Sirius Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after HMS Sirius. Name approved in 1989. HMS Sirius sailed to Australia with the First Fleet, arriving in Botany Bay on 20 January 1788.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Sisters Island
One of the South Barnard Islands, Great Barrier Reef, east of Silkwood. Named after the daughters of the Kent family, who looked after the lighthouse which opened on nearby Kent Island in 1919.
Source:
Barnard Islands National Park. Draft Management Plan, 1998



Skae Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named on 6 January 1880 by Robert Logan Jack for Harriman M. Skae, a former colleague on the Geological Survey of Scotland
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 542



Skardon Hill
Almaden District. Named after Skardon, a prospector, who discovered wolfram here
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 184, October 1993



Skardon River
Western Cape York. Originally named the Carpentier River by Janszoon of the Duyfken in 1606. Named the Skaron by the Jardine brothers in 1865.
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 318



Skardon's Crossing
Tully District. Named because John and Andrew Skardon had property there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Skardon's Track
Tully District. Named after its discoverer, Joseph Skardon
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Skeleton Creek
Creek on the southern side of Cairns. Named by James Hill on 25 June 1878 on an expedition in the area. "Came to a freshwater creek. We passed several native huts, one of which we examined and saw the remains of a Blackfellow's skull and bones. Crossed over to the other side of the creek which we named Skeleton Creek".
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 437, July 1997, p. 1
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sketty Belle Shoal
Torres Strait. Named after the schooner (barquentine) Sketty Belle which reported this below-water shoal in 1901
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 256
Australia Pilot vol 3, 1976, p. 254
Coordinates:
10 15 S 141 30 E



Skinner Street
Ingham. Named for those killed in action during World War I & II & Korea. This street honours G. Skinner
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E



Skull Road
Cairns. White Rock. This road was gravelled in 1963
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 59 S 145 45 E



Slade Street
Mareeba. Named on 19 April 1990 for Henry Arthur Slade, Private 1553, 15th Bn., Australian Infantry, killed in action at Gallipoli on 5 May 1915, in World War I. He is commemorated on Panel 49 at the Lone Pine Memorial, Turkey
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 86
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Slasher Reefs
Great Barrier Reef, consisting of the Kelso, Arab, John Brewer & Hopkinson reefs. These 4 ships were stranded here in 1843. The slashers was the nickname of the 28th regiment. The name was bestowed on this group of reefs in recognition of their efforts over six days in assisting seamen to refloat all four vessels
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144
Coordinates:
18 33 S 147 13 E



Slate Close
Cairns. Brinsmead. Streets in this subdivision are named after types of rocks.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Slip Cliff Point
North of Cairns. Probably so named because of a landslide here in 1934 while the Captain Cook Highway was being constructed



Smallwood Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Harry Smallwood, the owner of the land on which the street is situated
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 68
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Smallwood Street
Mareeba. Named in 1964 for William (Bill) Small, manager of the Biboohra Meatworks & later manager of Jamieson's Sawmill. He arrived in Mareeba in 1897
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 86
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Smart Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after the owner of the land through which the street is situated
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Smilax Way
Napranum. Botanical genus. Smilax Australia, the Barbed Wire Vine, is found in the open forest woodland
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Smith Creek
Daintree district. Named after Bill Smith who settled here & ran cattle
Source:
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 405, August 1995



Smith Island
One of the Family Islands, south-east of Bedarra Island. Named by Lieutenant G. E. Richards of the Paluma in 1886 after a member of his crew, Lieutenant Francis Bowden-Smith. The Aboriginal name is Kurrumbah Island
Source:
Porter, James C. Discovering the Family Islands, 1983, p. 5
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412 and 260



Smith's Creek
Cairns. Trinity Inlet. Named after Bill Smith who camped there in 1876
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Smith's Gap
Tully district. originally known as Dillyboy's Gap after an Aboriginal man named Dillyboy. He showed it to the railway surveyor W. R. Smith after whom it is now known. It was named Smith's Gap around 1915
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 408 and 301 and 412



Smith's Range
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named by William Landsborough on 28 November 1861. William Landsborough explored much of Queensland and was rewarded by the Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land on the Sunshine Coast which he named "Lamerough". Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt.Nebo to Bowen Downs Station 1856-1859. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864. William was appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving $800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown Lands Commissioner. William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years
Source:
Journal of Landsborough's Expedition From Carpentaria, In Search of Burke & Wills, 1862, p. 27



Smith's Track
Track over the range from Cairns to the Tableland. Named after Bill Smith for the role he played in discovering a route from Thornborough on the Hodgkinson Goldfield to the coast in the vicinity of Smithfield in 1876
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 68



Smith Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after William Charles Smith, first manager of the Bank of New South Wales in Cairns, which opened on 21 February 1877. Smith joined as acting manager and left the bank in 1878 for Brisbane to receive medical attention as a result of a gun accident at the Russell River Beach while on a fishing trip. He returned to Cairns in May 1882 as acting Manager of the Queensland National Bank. His son was the aviator Charles Kingsford Smith
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 68
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 150
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 70
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Smith Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1958 for George Frederick Smith, builder & owner of the Mareeba Joinery Works
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 87
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Smithfield
Township north of Cairns, now a suburb of Cairns. Named after Bill Smith at the suggestion of Archibald Campbell MacMillan (who was the engineer in charge of roads) and gazetted as a town on 15 December 1876 after having been laid out on 22 November 1876 by surveyor Frederick Horatio Warner & dedicated by Warden Howard St George . It was known to the locals as Smithville, who did not like the association of the name Smithfield with that of the London cattle market and the place where witches and martyrs were burned at the stake. After an alleged flood and a cyclone it was deserted by March 1878. Bill Smith was a track blazer who discovered a route from Cairns to the Thornborough on the Hodgkinson Goldfield in September 1876. The streets at Smithfield were the Esplanade (fronting the Barron River), Logan Street, Hill Street, MacDonald Street, Norfolk Street & Seymour Street
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 97
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 385
Coordinates:
16 51 S 145 42 E



Smiths Landing
See Battle Creek



Snapper Island
Daintree Area, one nautical mile south-east of Cape Kimberley. 99 m high. Named by George Dalrymple in 1873. The Kuku Yalanji Aboriginal name is Minya Kambiji
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 58
Jakalbaku, 1988
Coordinates:
16 18 S 145 30 E



Snare Pocket
Cairns. Edmonton. The site were Hambledon Mill was later constructed. Called Snare Pocket because this area was used by Aborigines to make snares from lawyer cane & vines, to tangle up the horses which they then speared. Originally known as Black's Snare, for the same reason
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin, December 1980 & April 1992
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Solander Boulevard
Port Douglas. Named after Dr. Solander, the medical doctor on board the Endeavour which under the command of Captain Cook sailed past Port Douglas in June 1770
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E



Somerset
Tip of Cape York. The town was surveyed in March 1865 by W.C.B. Wilson after having been officially founded on 3 August 1864 by John Jardine, the Government Resident. It was named after the Duke of Somerset, Secretary of State for the Colonies. The name was selected by Sir George Bowen, Governor of Queensland, in 1863. The town never materialised, although plots of land were sold at auction in Brisbane. The harbour where Somerset is situated was originally named Port Albany after the Albany Passage which was named in 1848 by Lieutenant Yule of H.M.S. Rattlesnake after Frederick, Duke of Albany, brother of King George IV. The local name for Somerset was Pulu
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 401
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Injinoo Handbook, 1995, p. 5
Coordinates:
10 44 S 142 35 E



Sommerville Crescent
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after George Sommerville, driver of the engine which hauled sand from Aeroglen to the city
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sondrio Close
Cairns. Woree. Named after an Italian boys name
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sondrio Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after an Italian boys name
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sophia's Peak
South of Gordonvale. Probably named by Dalrymple in 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 31



Sophie Close
Fishery Falls. Name approved on 1 November 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105



Sorensen's Inlet
Deeral District. Named after Jens Sorensen, who came from Denmark & grew rice in the district
Source:
Bellenden Ker State School. Celebrating its Diamond Jubilee, 1982, p. 4



Sorrento Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a town in Italy
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Soure Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after Jim Soure, pioneer in the Earlville area. He opened the first mixed store in the area, on the site of the present day Earlville Post Office. He was later the official postmaster for Earlville and in the early 1920s he was an ice cream man using a horse and cart for deliveries
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



South Alice Creek
Cape York. Originally named the Dalhunty Creek by the Jardine Brothers in 1865. The South Alice Creek was named by Frank Jardine after his daughter Alice
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list



South Barnard Islands
See Barnard Islands



South Coen River
See Coen River



South Johnstone
Innisfail. Basilisk was the name of the town which is now South Johnstone. Named the Basilisk about 1917 by the Lands Department after the Range of that name, which was named in October 1873 by George Dalrymple after the Ship, Basilisk, used by Captain John Moresby in his 1872 voyage & named in honour of himself & his crew. It was renamed South Johnstone because it is on the southern side of the Johnstone River
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 7
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 170, January 1974



South Johnstone River
See Johnstone River



South Maria Creek
See Maria Creek



South Mission Beach
See Mission Beach



South Street
Georgetown. So named because it is on the southern side of town
Coordinates:
18 17 S 143 33 E



Southerden Drive
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after an early auctioneer & commission agent in Cairns in the 1880s, E.B. Southerden. He was active in the Cairns Railway League in the 1880s.
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 87
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Spear Creek
Mount Molloy District. So named because a white woman was speared there in the early days of the Hodgkinson goldfield
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 72



Spence Street
Cairns. Bungalow/City/Parramatta Park. Named by J. P. Sharkey, original surveyor of Cairns, after David Spence, first Sub-Collector of Customs and officer in charge of the official party which landed from the Porpoise on 6 October 1876 to found the port of Cairns. He was on the first committee of the Cairns State School, being elected on 7 April 1879.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 103 and 77
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sperring Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after W. Sperring, a publican in Cairns who owned the Crown Hotel as well as the land adjacent to the subdivision
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Spiers Rock
Innisfail District, between Bresnahan Islet & Lindquist Island. Probably named for Captain William Spiers of the Seaflower who sailed this way in 1820
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 64



Spinnaker Street
Mission Beach. Several streets in South Mission Beach are named for a nautical theme.
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



Sporing Street
Cooktown. Named by James Smith Reid in 1874 for an officer aboard HMS Endeavour
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E



Spowatt Close
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after Andrew Spowatt, a Cairns teamster & packer in the 1880s & later the Cairns bellman
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 147
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Springall Highway
Weipa. In honour of J.R. (Jack) Springall, who was a member of the first Enterprise Exploration crew to arrive at Weipa in June 1956. He served as general Foreman & Senior Mine Forman with Comalco until his death in October 1976
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Springfield Crescent
Cairns. Manoora. Name approved on 19 October 1988
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Springhall Beacon
Weipa. Probably in honour of J.R. (Jack) Springall, who was a member of the first Enterprise Exploration crew to arrive at Weipa in June 1956. He served as general Foreman & Senior Mine Forman with Comalco until his death in October 1976
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E



Spurwood Close
Mission Beach. A rainforest tree
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E



St Crispin Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after St Crispin Reef, north east of Port Douglas
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



St Crispins Avenue
Port Douglas. Named after St Crispin Reef, north east of Port Douglas
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E



St George River
Palmer River District. Named after Howard St George, Gilberton & North Kennedy Mining Commissioner from October 1871 & Assistant Commissioner before then as well as first Gold Commissioner on the Palmer River Goldfield & Magistrate in Cooktown. Named by Archibald Campbell MacMillan in November 1873. St George along with MacMillan were members of the first group of miners to travel to the Palmer River Goldfield. There were 2 St George Rivers named! James Mulligan named the tributary of the Mitchell after Howard St George in 1874. MacMillan's river that he discovered & that was named after St. George flowed into the Kennedy River
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 423 & 427



St. George Street
Georgetown. Named after Howard St. George, Gilberton & North Kennedy Mining Commissioner from October 1871 & Assistant Commissioner before then.
Coordinates:
18 17 S 143 33 E



St. Pauls
Moa Island, Torres Strait. A mission settlement was established here shortly after the turn of the century. The Government Resident at Thursday Island, Hugh Milman, selected the name after St. Pauls Cathedral, London, as a nephew of his was a dean there.
Source:
Teske, Travis. St. Pauls : Moa, 1986, p. 4



Staaten River
Western Cape York. Named by the Dutch Navigator, Carstensz, on 24 April 1623. Staaten means States in Dutch & was so named because he came on behalf of the "High & Mighty Lords States General", which was the name for the Netherlands Parliament. The present day Staaten River is not the same river that Carstensz discovered. He actually named this particular river the Nassau Rivier. Staaten was originally spelt Staten. Named by the Jardine Brothers as Maroon Creek in 1864.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 39
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 153
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 295
Coordinates:
16 24 S 141 18 E



Stainer Island
Great Barrier Reef. Named after Lieutenant C.E. Stainer of HMS Dart in 1898
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 259



Stanley Hill
Cape York Peninsula, Carron Range. 354 metres (1 160 feet) high. Named by the officers of the surveying ship Paluma in 1890 after Captain Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 224 & 692



Stanley Island
Great Barrier Reef. One of the Flinders Group of Islands. Named after Captain Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake. The name was probably bestowed by the surveying ship HMS Dart in the 1890s
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 346
Coordinates:
14 09 S 144 16 E



Stanley Road
Yarrabah. Named for the Stanley family



Stanley Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1949 for Stanley Fisher, who owned the land before it was developed for housing circa 1949.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 88
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Stannery Hills
North-west of Herberton. It derives its name from the Latin word for tin (stannum) & was surveyed on 7 September 1903 by M. Amos. Originally known as Eureka Creek
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 153
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 254
Coordinates:
17 19 S 145 13 E



Stanton Road
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Named after the farmer who owned the property here
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stanwell Street
Babinda. Named after Stanwell Spry, a daughter of William Spry, a one time garbage contractor with the Cairns Shire Council who owned the land this street passes through
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Stapleton Creek
Atherton Tableland. Named in 1882 by explorer Christie Palmerston after H. M. Stapleton, then Chairman of the Johnstone Divisional Board
Source:
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 118
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 104
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 74, November 1982



Starcke
Cape York Peninsula. Gold was discovered here in 1890 by Cairns & Bowden at the head of Diggins Creek. Named after Surveyor Charles Alfred Starcke
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 232
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
14 55 S 145 3 E



Starcke River
Cape York Peninsula. Named by Robert Logan Jack after Surveyor Charles Alfred Starcke
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 482



Starcke Street
Mareeba. Named in 1887 for Charles Alfred Starcke (1836-1916), surveyor
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 88
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Starcke Street
Cooktown. Named after Surveyor Charles Alfred Starcke in 1885. Starcke arrived in Cooktown aboard the SS Leichardt on 25 October 1873.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Queen of the North, 1979, p. 61
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 28 S 145 15 E



Station Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named by James Venture Mulligan on 15 September 1875 as the Warner River. Now known as Station Creek because this is where Walwa Station is
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 462-3



Station Street
Innisfail. Named for the railway station
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Stawell Creek
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named by William Landsborough on 27 November 1861. William Landsborough explored much of Queensland and was rewarded by the Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land on the Sunshine Coast which he named "Lamerough". Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt.Nebo to Bowen Downs Station 1856-1859. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864. William was appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving $800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown Lands Commissioner. William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years
Source:
Journal of Landsborough's Expedition From Carpentaria, In Search of Burke & Wills, 1862, p. 25



Stead Passage
Great Barrier Reef. Discovered in August 1828 by Captain T.F. Stead of the merchant ship Asia
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 388
Coordinates:
11 55 S 143 49 E



Stella Maris Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after either the boat Stella Maris which was a fishing boat in Cairns owned by Joe Johnson in around 1954 or the Stella Maris which is a 21 metre dive vessel in service with Pro Dive Cairns
Source:
North Australian Monthly, vol 1 no 5, December 1954, p. 11
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stephen Street
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Almost certainly named after Joseph Stephen, first Chairman of Tamwoy Suburb, who was elected to the position on 3 July 1965. Born on Stephen Island, he worked on his father's boat, Ugar, for 5 years after school, in the trochus industry. During the war he was the Council Chairman on Stephen Island. In the 1950s he moved to Tamwoy Suburb, Thursday Island & was instrumental in having houses & the Hall built in the suburb.
Source:
Torres News 14-20 June 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E



Stephens Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after Stephen Ernest Stephens (Ern), Horticulturalist with the Department of Primary Industries and prominent local historian. President of the School of Arts Committee for 17 years, Curator the James Cook Museum in Cooktown, Foundation President of the Cairns Historical Society and Patron of the Cairns Naturalist Club
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sterlington
See Muldiva



Stevens Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Stevens Reef, east of Gordonvale
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stewart River
Cape York. Named in 1872 by William Hann after a member of the Hann Expedition. The Little Stewart River was originally named Notice Creek by Robert Logan Jack in September 1879 after the notices from earlier travellers that he found there
Source:
Liddell, Rodney. Cape York: The Savage Frontier, p. 271
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 499



Stewart's Creek
See Mena Creek



Stewart's Pocket
Atherton Tableland. Named after the Stewart family, early pioneers in the district. John Stewart & his sons grew arrowroot here from 1891 onwards
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 45, April 1980 & no 148 April 1990



Stewart Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1956 for Thomas Stewart (1843-1930), explorer & businessman
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 89
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Stewart Street
Daintree. Named after John Stewart, the first White settler in the Daintree, who arrived in 1879.
Source:
Daintree's early years, p. 19
Coordinates:
16 15 S 145 19 E



Stewart Town
Town on the Palmer River Goldfield. Named after William Stewart. Established during the 1878 alluvial gold rush to the lower Palmer River
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 107
Coordinates:
15 59 S 144 22 E



Stewarts Creek
Daintree. Named after John Stewart, the first White settler in the Daintree, who arrived in 1879.
Source:
Daintree's early years, p. 19



Stewarts Landing
See Edithvale



Stillman Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after William J. E. Stillman, partner with Armstrong Leslie storekeepers in Cairns
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stitt Street
Innisfail. Named for Alexander Stitt, member of the Divisional Board, 1894-1899
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Stockton
Innisfail District. Stockton was the name given by F.N.A.L. (Leopald) Stamp to his original selection in 1880
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 69



Stokes Bay
Great Barrier Reef. On the western side of Stanley Island, one of the Flinders Group of Islands. Named after Commander John Lort Stokes(1812-1885) of HMS Beagle, who explored the Australian coast from 1837-1843. The name was probably bestowed by the surveying ship HMS Dart in the 1890s
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 346



Stokes Point
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named after Commander John Lort Stokes (1812-1885) of HMS Beagle who explored the Australian coast from 1837-1843
Coordinates:
17 34 S 139 45 E



Stonehouse Road
Atherton Tableland. Named after Carl Stonehouse, who purchased land here in 1908
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 29, November 1978



Stoney Creek
Cairns. Presumably so-named because of the Stony nature of the creek
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stoney Creek Falls
Cairns. Presumably so-named because of the stony nature of the creek. Apparently the Aboriginal name for the Falls was Deewunga
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 69
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stoney Creek Road
Cairns. Kamerunga. So named because it leads to Stoney Creek.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stovell Street
Babinda. Named after William E. Stovell, who joined the Cairns Shire Council in September 1916. Born 5 August 1872, he was appointed acting Shire Clerk on 23 February 1917 and Shire Clerk in July 1919. He resigned from the Shire Council on 8 November 1937 and was acting Shire Clerk at Herberton from 1939-1945. He died in Herberton on 11 April 1953
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E



Stratford
Cairns. Suburb. The settlement was named for the railway siding which was named after Stratford-on-Avon in England. Contrary to popular belief it was not named after Joseph "Joe" Stratford, Service number 1179, who was born in NSW and was killed in 1915 fighting in World War 1. Numerous newspaper references dated in the 1880s name the settlement of Stratford. For example the Stratford Hotel is advertised in the Cairns Post on 27th July 1886. As such this rules out its being named for Corporal Stratford. 
Source:
Email correspondence, Jim McJannett, September 2011
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Strathmore Court
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after the Strathmore Estate, a large estate in the Cairns district in the 19th century
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 210
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Strattman Street
Mareeba. Named in 1907 for Charles Henry Strattman (1872-1946), Freemason & pioneer tobacco farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 90
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Stratvell School
Japoonvale, west of Silkwood A combination of the names Joe Stratford and nurse Edith Cavell
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 69



Strau's Lagoon
See Murdering Lagoons



Strike Avenue
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Arthur Strike, a Cairns City Alderman, in 1980
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 69
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Strombus Avenue
Cairns. Trinity Beach/Kewarra Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a nautical theme. Strombus shell
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Struck Island
Daintree. Named after a local, Jim Strucke, who had a coconut plantation at nearby Thornton Beach.
Source:
Wet Tropics Management Authority. A Handbook for Tour Guides: Daintree River to Cape Tribulation, 1999, p 2-32



Strutton Place
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after a long standing local family. Mary Ann Strutton died on 21 May 1910 aged 66 and George Edwin Strutton died on 23 January 1926, aged 76 years
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stuart Street
Cairns. Edge Hill. Possibly named after Robert Stuart, who was in the Cairns district in 1887
Source:
Grimwade, Gordon. McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery. Conservation Proposals, 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Stubbs Road
Babinda district. Named after the property owner
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 136



Stuckey's Gap
Cape York Peninsula. Named by Harry Stuckey, a prospector & explorer, after himself
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list



Studt Road
Mareeba. Named circa 1965 for Norm Studt, tobacco farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 91
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Sturt Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after Robert Sturt, auctioneer, accountant, valuer and general agent who had an office and auction mart in Abbott Street and stock saleyards in Lake Street in 1901. He was secretary of the Cairns Chamber of Commerce in 1898. He arrived in Cairns in 1883
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 69
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sudbury Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Sudbury Reef, east of Gordonvale
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sues Street
Gordonvale. Named after Ernest Sues who arrived in area in the mid 1880s and later took up cane farming.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E



Sugarcane Creek
Mission Beach. Jack Bunting grew a small patch of cane there to feed his horses in the early 1900s
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412 and 296



Suhle Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1966 for the Suhle family who ran the pumps for the town water supply. Bill & Susan Suhle arrived in Mareeba in 1917 or 1918
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 91
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Sullivan's Track
West of Cardwell. Named after Sullivan who had a selection up Kennedy Creek and who discovered the track
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412



Summers Street
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named after T. Summers who owned land on the southern side of the street. He was involved in the pearling industry. There was also a Frank Summers in the area at the turn of the century who was involved in the pearling industry as a diver
Source:
Foley, John. Timeless Isle, 1986, p. 35
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E



Summit Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. So called because it is on the summit of a hill
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sun Street
Cairns. Brinsmead. 12 allotments were developed on this road in 1967 & called Sun Valley Estate. The road construction was done by contractors Tanner & Kenny in 1967
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 214
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sunbeam Creek
Between Cardwell and Tully. Named in 1887 after Lord Brassey's yacht Sunbeam then anchored in Rockingham Bay
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412 and 256



Sunday Creek
West of Tully. Originally called Rankoe Creek after Rankoe who had a selection there. Now called Sunday Creek, which is a corruption from the original name of Sunderry, which gradually became known as Sundry then Sunday
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 412



Sunday Island
Cape York Peninsula, north of Lockhart River, in Margaret Bay. Named by Captain William Bligh on 31 May 1789, a Sunday.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 51
Coordinates:
11 56 S 143 13 E



Sundown
Innisfail. Suburb. Named after the Australian South Sea Islanders boatmen who would say "Sun go down" at a certain place on their trip back up the river in the evening
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 22
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Sundown Road
Innisfail. Named by the Australian South Sea Islanders boatmen who would say "Sun go down" at a certain place on their trip back up the river in the evening
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Sunflower Drive
Cairns. Mooroobool. In an estate where streets have a floral theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Surprise Creek
Cape York. Named by James Dick in July 1910
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 717



Sussex Street
Cairns. Trinity Park. Streets in this subdivision were named after ships. HMS Hood is a British warship
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Sutherland Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1893 for William McGregor Sutherland (c1841-1916), railway contractor
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 92
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Svendsen Street
Cairns. Westcourt. After Heinrich Marinus Svendsen, born in Denmark on 18 October 1856 and who commenced business as a furniture manufacturer in Abbott Street, Cairns in 1884, moving to premises in Lake Street in 1896. He was one of the founders of the Cairns Citizens' Band in 1885. He died on 22 December 1937 and is buried in the Martyn Street Cemetery. He was a cabinet maker and factory manager and imported the first hearse to Cairns.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Swain Court
Cairns. Edmonton. Named for Grace E. Swain, Head Teacher at the Hambledon State School in 1902. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 26 June 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E



Swallow Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named in January 1880 by Robert Logan Jack after the name of his horse that was speared to death here
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 543



Swallow Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after Thomas Fulton Swallow, who came from Melbourne to Cairns in 1881 & started the Hambledon Mill and Plantation. The Swallow Brothers (Thomas) owned the Hambledon Sugar Mill from 1881-1897 & which commenced crushing on 6 August 1883. The road was surveyed in 1954 & gravelled in 1968. Thomas Swallow died in June 1890. William Henry Swallow, one of the sons, managed the plantation.
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E



Swallow's Landing
Cairns. Trinity Inlet. Built by sugar grower Thomas Fulton Swallow in the 1880s as a wharf at the head of Trinity Inlet to send his sugar to market. Also known as Swallow's Wharf
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 31
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Swallow Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Thomas Fulton Swallow, who started the Hambledon Mill and Plantation. The Swallow Brothers owned the Hambledon Sugar Mill from 1881-1897, with crushing commencing on 6 August 1883. He died in June 1890
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 149-150
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Swan Street
Innisfail. Named after the bird
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E



Swan Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1954 for Jack & Jean Swan, who came to Mareeba circa 1900. Jack Swan was a coach driver
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 92
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E



Swan Street
Gordonvale. Named after Thomas Swan, an early cane grower
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Swan Street. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 3, March 1978
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E



Sweeney's Creek
Innisfail. Named about 1885 after Samuel Sweeney, an early settler who arrived in the district before 1886
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70



Sweers Island
Gulf of Carpentaria, south of Mornington Island. In 1642 Abel Tasman named an Island group in Tasmania, Sweers Eylanden, for Cornelius Sweers, a Governor of Batavia in the 17th century. On 17 November 1802 Matthew Flinders named Sweers Island when he discovered it, after the same Batavian Governor. As per Flinder's diary entry for this date: "In the morning, a fresh land wind at south-east favoured our course A hill, seen the night before, bore N. 15º E, one mile and a quarter. The coast to the southward was scarcely visible from the mast head, but land was seen to extend westward from the hill; in order to gain a better knowledge of what this land might be, I went on shore, taking instruments with me. The hill proved to be a mass of calcareous rock, whose surface was cut and honey-combed as if it had been exposed to the washing of a surf. It was the highest land we had seen in Carpentaria, after having followed one hundred and seventy-five leagues of coast; nor was any land to be distinguished from the top of the hill which had an equal degree of elevation; yet it did not much exceed the height of the ship's mast head! The land round it proved to be an island of five miles long; separated from other land to the west by a channel of nearly two miles in width. The wide opening between this land and the low coast to the southward, I take to have been what is called Maatsuyker's River; and that the island, which Tasman or whoever made the examination, did not distinguish well from being too far off, is the projecting point marked on the west side of that river. Maatsuyker was one of the counsellors at Batavia, who signed Tasman's instructions in 1644; but as there is no river here, his name, as it stands applied in the old chart, cannot remain. I would have followed in the intention of doing him honour, by transferring his name to the island, but Maatsuyker's Isles already exist on the south coast of Van Diemen's Land; I therefore adopt the name of Sweers, another member of the same Batavia council; and call the island at the entrance of the
supposed river, Sweers' Island"
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Gulf Country, North Queensland, map reference 5
Isle of Surprise. Cairns Post 6 December 1997, p. 103
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/discaust/NORTH2.HTM
Coordinates:
17 07 S 139 37 E



Sycamore Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the sycamore tree
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E



Syd Granville Memorial Park
Cairns. Holloways Beach. In memory of Syd Granville, a resident who with his wife Jane worked hard to have parks & recreation areas established in the area
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E



Sydney Street
Cairns. Manunda / Bayview Heights. Named after Sydney Smith who owned a dairy and who sub-divided the land
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 70
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E