Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names t - v

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns

Tabacum
Chillagoe Railway. Specific name for tobacco plant
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Tadpole Creek
Cape York Peninsula. Named on 16 December 1879 by Robert Logan Jack for the large number of tadpoles found there
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 530


Talasea Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Talasea is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Talbot Island
Torres Strait. Named by Bampton & Alt on 21 August 1793. Now known as Boigu Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 121


Talisman Creek
Tully district. Tributary of the Tully River. So named because James Tyson's steamer, the Talisman was left there when he abandoned his abortive sugar venture
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 59


Tallow Wood Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Tallow tree (Sapium salicifolium)
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Talpa Close
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named for the Cypraea talpa shell (Mole Cowry)
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tam O'Shanter Point
Mission Beach district. The Tam O'Shanter was the name of the vessel used by the Kennedy Expedition to land at Rockingham Bay in April 1848. Named by Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake in 1848
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 8
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
17 59 S 146 05 E


Tamarind Place
Weipa. Botanical common name. From botanical genus Tamarindus
Source:
Hibberd Library information
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Tamarind Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Tamwoy
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Suburb. Named after Eccles Tamwoy, a respected leader & elder on Badu Island as well as Badu Council Chairman for over 30 years. Previously known as Eagle Camp. Tamwoy Suburb was officially proclaimed on 27 December 1956 and officially opened by Eccles Tamwoy on 9 February 1957.
Source:
Torres News 14-20 June 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Tanganelli Close
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after an Augustinian Father who visited Cairns from Cooktown & Port Douglas from 1878, Rev. Father T. Tanganelli
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 119
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tanner Crescent
Cairns. Stratford. Named after Ted Tanner, earth moving contractor of Tanner Industries who undertook the development of this area in 1960
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 210
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tapini Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Tapini is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tardent Street
Atherton. Named after Henri (Henry) Tardent, editor of the Tableland Examiner newspaper from 1909-1910.
Source:
Atherton Centenary, 1985, p. 11
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Taree Court
Weipa. Aboriginal term meaning wild fig
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Tari Place
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Tari is a town in PNG. The name was approved on 17 October 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tarquin Court
Weipa. After the Tarquin Creek which flows into the Watson River near Boyd Lagoon on Merluna Station
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Tarrant Point
See Point Tarrant


Tarzali
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal term, water gum. The Aboriginal word for the area was Bunjaraburra
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 19, January 1978
Coordinates:
17 26 S 145 36 E


Tate
See Fischerton


Tate River
Named on 6 July 1872 by William Hann after Dr. Thomas Tate, who survived the wreck of the Maria in 1872. He accompanied William Hann's expedition to Cape York in 1872 as the botanist & saw the first tree kangaroo in North Queensland
Source:
In, Fox, Matt J. The History of Queensland: Its people & Industries, 1923, p. 178
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 309


Taylor Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named after Alfred Taylor, an ironmonger, who was elected an Alderman to the first Municipal Council on 18 July 1885. He was an Alderman from 1885-1887 & 1889-1898. He owned Cairns Plumbing Works and Glaziers and was also Mayor of Cairns
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Taylor Street
Atherton. Named after the Shire Clerk. His wife was the school teacher
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 113
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Taylors Range
Mount Mulligan District. Named by William Hann on 27 July 1872 after his geologist, Norman Taylor. He named it Taylors Carboniferous Range
Source:
In, Fox, Matt J. The History of Queensland: Its people & Industries, 1923, p. 178
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 382


Teal Close
Cairns. Woree. Named after a bird.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Teamsters' Memorial Park
Craiglee, Port Douglas. Named after the teamsters who used the Bump Road track between Port Douglas & the Tableland. The memorial to the teamsters was unveiled on 10 June 1977


Teatree Close
Cairns. Manunda. So named because of the significant number of teatrees existing there at the time
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tecoma Court
Weipa. Botanical genus, from Mexican Tecomaxochitl
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Tee Street
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named after a golfing theme because this street is near the Half Moon Bay Golf Club
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Telford Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after an Alderman in 1891
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Temple Bay
Eastern Cape York Peninsula, north of Lockhart River. Named on 20 August 1770 by Captain James Cook. "Between this Cape (Grenville) & the Bolt Head is a Bay I named Temple Bay". This was either named for Earl Temple, a brother of Prime Minister (1964-1764) George Grenville, or more likely for Henry Temple, Viscount Palmerston, a Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty, 1766-1777.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 49
Kenny, John. Before the First Fleet, 1995, p. 172
Coordinates:
12 1? S 143 09 E


Temple Street
Croydon. Named after J. M. Temple, the first storekeeper in Croydon. He was Mayor of Croydon in 1894-1895
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Croydon Gold, 1986, p. 24 & 136
Coordinates:
17 33 S 145 18 E


Templeton Street
Gordonvale. Named after the family that had an early association with Gordonvale
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Tenni Street
Cairns. Redlynch. Named after James Tenni, a cane farmer at Redlynch
Source:
Cairns historical Society listing, 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tepon
Atherton Tableland, Herberton to Ravenshoe railway. Aboriginal name meaning rock or stone
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 35


Terebra Street
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named for the Terebra shell genus
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Teresa Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after the first grandchild of Mr & Mrs Savina, who owned the land before it was subdivided. They grew sugar cane there
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Terminalia Street
Cairns. Redlynch. Streets in this suburb are named for rainforest or water themes. This name was approved in 1988, over the objections of the developer. Terminalias are a rainforest tree genus
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Terminus Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. So named because it was once the terminus of the Cairns to Nelson (Now Gordonvale) tram line. The street name was approved at a Cairns Town Council meeting on 11 December 1922.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Terrigal
See Port Douglas


Thais Street
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named for the Thais shell genus
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thalia Creek
Western Cape York. Named by the Jardine brothers in December 1864
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 310


Theresa Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Theresa Creek
Atherton Tableland. North of Millaa Millaa. Possibly named after Theresa McHugh, wife of Robert McHugh, whose property, purchased in 1910, was resumed for the Millaa Millaa railway line, terminus & the Millaa Millaa township. He was also Chairman of Eacham Shire Council from 1924-1935. She was President of the Millaa Millaa Branch of the CWA. Theresa McHugh died on 30 March 1928.
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 62, October 1981


Theresa Creek Road
Atherton Tableland. North of Millaa Millaa. Named after the Theresa Creek which it follows. Originally known as Woolley's Road. F. Woolley, a selector in the area around 1910
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 2, July 1976


Therewin Street
Kuranda. Named by Surveyor G.D Edwards. He had lived among an Aboriginal group in the South Burnett district in Queensland & apparently named this street after an Aboriginal word from that language
Source:
Edwards, Ron. An Explorers Guide to Kuranda. Kuranda: Rams Skull Press, 1994, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Thetford Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Thetford Reef, east of Cairns
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thomas Park
Atherton. Hastie Road. Formerly the Carrinton Cemetery, a cemetery reserve containing 3 graves from the 19th century. Renamed in June 1997 after James Thomas, who arrived on the Tableland in 1883. He had a sawmill at the junction of Hastie and Herberton Roads and was the first Chairman of the Tinaroo Divisional Board and was heavily involved in the establishment of the local hospital. He died in 1930 and is buried in Townsville
Source:
Tablelander, 10 June 1997


Thomas Street
Gordonvale. Named after the Thomas Family, who had a long standing occupation as butchers and bakers in Gordonvale. The Thomas building was erected in 1893
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Thomas Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after T. Thomas, present at the first recorded gathering of Freemasons in Cairns. Possibly Tom Thomas, timber merchant, dairyman & a Provisional Director of the Trinity Inlet Dairy Factory Company which he helped form in July 1889
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 261
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thomatis Creek
Cairns creek on the northern side of the city. Named after Dr David Thomatis who leased 1 000 acres in the area in late 1884
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 254
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thompson Point
East of Innisfail. Originally spelt Tompson Point after Sub-Inspector F.M. Tompson, a second-in-command on Dalrymple's 1873 expedition. The Point was named by Dalrymple in 1873
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 72
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 05 E


Thomson Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Originally called Hills Road. It was bituminised in 1962
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 28
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Thomson Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after the Harbour Board Diver, Mr. David Thomson. He was a shipwright, master mariner and beche-de-mer fisherman who worked in the industry both as a master and owner. He came to Cairns aboard the Platypus circa 1884
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thongon Street
Kuranda. Named by Surveyor G.D Edwards. He had lived among an Aboriginal group in the South Burnett district in Queensland & apparently named this street after an Aboriginal word from that language
Source:
Edwards, Ron. An Explorers Guide to Kuranda. Kuranda: Rams Skull Press, 1994, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Thooree Street
Kuranda. Named by Surveyor G.D Edwards. He had lived among an Aboriginal group in the South Burnett district in Queensland & apparently named this street after an Aboriginal word from that language
Source:
Edwards, Ron. An Explorers Guide to Kuranda. Kuranda: Rams Skull Press, 1994, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Thornborough
Town on the Hodgkinson Goldfield. Named in honour of the then Postmaster General, G. Thorn, who was appointed to the post on 9 January 1874. The town was surveyed on 3 May 1878 & was the main town for the Hodgkinson Gold rush after Mulligan discovered gold in the district in 1876. Originally known as Mulligan's Camp
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 121
Kerr, John. Northern Outpost, 1979, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 56 S 145 00 E


Thornton
See Cairns


Thornton Court
Cairns. White Rock. Streets in this subdivision are named for a motion picture theme. Sigrid Thornton is an Australian actress best known for her role as Jessica in the Man from Snowy River, starring in the television series All The Rivers Run and as Laura in SeaChange
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Thornton Peak
Daintree district. 1 387 metres (3 584 feet) high. Named by Dalrymple in 1873 after his friend, William Thornton, Collector of Customs. Thornton Beach is named after him as well. The Kuku Yalanji name for Thornton Peak is Wundu
Source:
Dalrymple, G. Narrative and Reports of the Queensland North-East Coast Expedition, 1873, p. 31
Jakalbaku, 1988


Thornton's Gap
Named after one of the earliest pastoralists in North Queensland
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 45


Thorpe Island
See Timana Island


Thorpe Point
Northern Cape York. Possibly named by G. E. Richards in 1886 after Vidal C. Thorpe, surgeon on the Paluma.
Coordinates:
11 55 S 143 09 E


Three Islands
Off Cooktown. Named by Captain James Cook on 11 August 1770.
Source:
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 170
Coordinates:
15 07 S 145 25 E


Thumm Street
Gordonvale. Named after Jack Thumm, an early slaughterman for John Gordon while the latter was involved in the butchering trade
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Thurles Street
Tully. Named after R. Murnane's wife's family name. Murnane was the owner of the sub-division of land where Thurles Street is located
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 408
Coordinates:
17.56 S 145.56 E


Thursday Island
Torres Strait. Unknown. Probably named Thursday in keeping with Wednesday & Friday Islands. The name Thursday Island first appeared on a Hydrographic chart in June 1855. The survey data drawn up by Owen Stanley after his 1848 voyage through the Torres Strait named Thursday & Friday Islands, but in reverse order. His survey data was later changed, before the chart engraving was made. Foley suggests that this change was done at the Hydrographic Office, under the authority of the Hydrographer himself, Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort. The local name is Waiben. Thursday Island was not named by William Bligh in June 1789 when he gave Wednesday Island its name. The township on Thursday Island was officially known as Port Kennedy, but the town gradually became widely referred to as T.I., standing for Thursday Island. In the 1950s & 1960s T.I also unofficially stood for "Thirsty Island" as under the Queensland Government legislation of the time it was illegal for Torres Strait Islanders to buy or consume alcohol in public places on Thursday Island!
Source:
Martin, Alec. Barren Rock Now Centre of Influence. Cairns Post 11 April 1995, p. 10
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 102
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 78
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 276-277
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Tichum Creek
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer after a word in a nonsense verse
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 9, July 1959
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 5


Tierney Estate
Suburb of Innisfail. Named after the Tierney family who had a cane farm there
Source:
Tierney, T. P. The Tierney family. Innisfail Historical Society vol 2, 1986, p. 45


Tierney Street
Innisfail. Named after Patrick Freeman Tierney, early settler
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Tighe Creek
Named by Dalrymple in 1873 after Charles Tighe of Newcastle and part-owner of the Schooner Flirt which was chartered by the expedition
Source:
Dalrymple, G. Narrative and Reports of the Queensland North-East Coast Expedition, 1873, p. 23 and 25


Tigris Passage
Torres Strait. Named after the ship Tigris, which was the first to sail this route in July 1836
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 157


Tills Street
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after R.A. Tills, an early saw miller and Mayor of Cairns, 1900-1901 and 1907. He arrived in Cairns in 1883 and had his saw-mill first at Redlynch while the railway line was being built and then he moved it to Cairns in about 1898. He was one of the officers of the first Masonic Lodge to be formed in the town
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tilse Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1968 for the Tilse family
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 93
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Timana Drive
Mission Beach. Named after Timana Island, South-west of Dunk Island Originally called Thorpe Island, Timana Island is named after the Aboriginal name for the Island, which was popularised by Edmund Banfield.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413 and 260
Coordinates:
17 35 S 145 36 E


Timana Island
South-west of Dunk Island opposite Tam O'Shanter Point. Originally named Thorpe Island by Lieutenant G. E. Richards in 1886 after one of his crew, Vidal C. Thorpe, surgeon on the Paluma. Now known as Timana Island after the Aboriginal name for the Island, which was popularised by Edmund Banfield. According to long-time Bedarra resident, Noel Wood, the correct Aboriginal name is actually Timanoo.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413 and 260
Porter, James C. Discovering the Family Islands, 1983, p. 5


Timberlea Drive
Cairns. Edmonton. Previously a section of Roberts Road. Named for the Timberlea Estate which it passes through. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 5 September 1994
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


Tin Creek
Cape York Peninsula. So named because tin was discovered in the creek, a tributary of the Archer River, by James Rush, John Mayers, Richard Wilson & others in 1889. The town was established in 1905
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 232
Coordinates:
13 32 S 142 50 E


Tin Creek
Wangetti Beach, north of Cairns. So named because there was a tin rush here in 1908
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 410


Tin Sang Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Named for Mr Tin Sang who owned a shop in the Hambledon area. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 26 June 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


Tinaroo Creek
Atherton Tableland. The area was named by John Atherton, circa 1880. He is said to have found tin and exclaimed tin! Hurroo! The spur where the tin was found is where the dam is now. Other versions have it that he actually discovered the tin in Bauhinia Creek. This is probably the same creek that has since been renamed Tinaroo Creek. It was probably named Bauhinia Creek because Bauhinia trees were found growing here
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 145
Eacham Shire Historical Society Bulletin no 96, January 1985


Tinaroo Creek Road
Mareeba District. Named after the Tinaroo Creek which was named after Tinaroo, named by John Atherton, circa 1880. He is said to have found tin and exclaimed tin! Hurroo!


Tinaroo Dam
Atherton Tableland. The area was named by John Atherton, circa 1880. He is said to have found tin and exclaimed tin! Hurroo! The spur where the tin was found is where the dam is now. Where the tin deposits was found was known as Glenatherton after John Atherton. There is another version of how Tinaroo was named, related by one of the discoverers with Atherton, William McCord . Ruby tin having been found, McCord was asked "What is the Gaelic for red?", to which he replied "roo". (The correct spelling is actually ruadh)
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 145
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 160
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 96, January 1985
Coordinates:
17 10 S 145 19 E


Tingira Street
Cairns. Portsmith. Named after the S.S. Tingira, which regularly brought goods & passengers from Brisbane to Cairns prior to the 1930s
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tivoli Close
Mareeba. Named on 2 May 1991 after the Tivoli Gardens outside Rome. The Close was developed by Rosina Gallo
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 95
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Tobiano Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1891 for the Tobiano family.. Michele Tobiano arrived in Mareeba in 1948 & was a tobacco farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 95
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Tobias Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Tobias Spit, Frankland Islands
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tobin Cay
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh for one of his officers, Lieutenant Tobin
Source:
Macfarlane, W. The Pandora Finds Murray Island. Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine October 1948, p. 17


Tobin Islet
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh for one of his officers, Lieutenant Tobin
Source:
Macfarlane, W. The Pandora Finds Murray Island. Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine October 1948, p. 17


Tobruk Memorial Gardens
Cairns. North Cairns. The Tobruk Memorial Gardens & swimming pool were named after the Battle of Tobruk in Libya during World War II & which fell to the British on 13 November 1942. They were opened on 24 March 1962
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 73, March 1965
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tognolini Close
Cairns. Jungara. Named after the Tognolini family. E. L. Tognolini was a cane farmer who owned the land and grew cane on it. In the 1980s he sold the land to the Chapman family who renamed it Jungara Downs and developed the Jungara Estate
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tolga
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal term meaning either red mud or the edge of the scrub. Originally known as Martin Town or Martintown for pioneer George Martin & his father who had a timber mill on the Barron River at Stratford & then moved to the Tableland in the cedar country & set up their mill at Martintown. The name was changed to Tolga in about 1905
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14
Cummins & Campbell's Monthly Magazine March 1929, p. 73
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 99, June 1967
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 269
Coordinates:
17 13 S 145 29 E


Tolga Close
Innisfail. Named after a sugar lighter boat
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Toll Close
Mareeba. Named on 21 July 1988 for Frederick Vivian Toll, Private 1908, 15th Bn., Australian Infantry, killed during World War I on 8 August 1915. He was the son of Lt. Col. Frederick William and Emma Toll and is commemorated on Panel no. 50 at the Lone Pine Memorial in Gallipoli, Turkey.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 95
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Tolson Close
Cairns. Brinsmead. Named for Mulgrave cedar exporter G. Tolson who exported timber from the district from December 1878 onwards
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 132
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 130
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 49
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tom McDonald Park
Cairns, Palm Cove. Named after Tom McDonals, a pioneer aviator in the 1930s as well as the owner of a jewellery business
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tom Morrison Drive
Weipa. Named after Tom Morrison, Weipa resident form April 1969 to 1991 & Andoom's last heavy engineering planning superintendent. The road leads to the golf club & Tom was a staunch member of the golf club
Source:
Bauxite Bulletin 19 June 1992, p. 1
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Tompson Point
See Thompson Point


Toni Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tonkin Drive
Weipa. In honour of John Elliott Tonkin. He joined Comalco as Personnel Manager in May 1961 & retired as General Manager - Personnel, in October 1980
Source:
Hibberd Library information
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Toogood Road
Cairns. Woree/Bayview Heights. Named after W. Toogood, a cane farmer in the area. The road was gravelled in 1959/1960 & sealed in 1968
Source:
Cairns historical Society listing, 1987
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 3
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Toohey Creek
Goldsborough Valley. Named after James (Jim) Toohey, early settler and explorer in the district. He had a hotel in Smithfield. He was also a cedar cutter & in 1879 had a timber camp in the vicinity of this creek
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 138


Toohey Street
Cairns. Portsmith. Named after James (Jim) Toohey, early settler and explorer in the district. He had a hotel in Smithfield. He was also a cedar cutter,
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 73
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Toona Terrace
Cairns. Redlynch. Streets in this suburb are named for rainforest or water themes. This name was approved in 1988, over the objections of the developer. Toona Australis is the Red Cedar rainforest tree.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Toots Holzheimer Road
Weipa. In honour of carrier Toots Holzheimer, born 5 July 1934, the owner of Northern Freighters, who was killed in an unloading accident at Weipa on 29 February 1992. Toots was renowned as the first truckie willing to tackle the Cape York Development Road at the end of the wet season. She also has a bridge named after her between Lakeland Downs and Laura on the Cape Development Road and there is a stone cairn and plaque at the Archer River Roadhouse.
Source:
Bauxite Bulletin 19 June 1992, p. 1
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Top Camp
Gordonvale District, on the Mulgrave Goldfield. So named because it was the top camp on the field. Settled with the gold rush of 1880 28-Oct-1997
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 365
Coordinates:
17 19 S 145 46 E


Topaz Street
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Streets in this subdivision are named after minerals. Topaz is a gemstone, composed of transparent or translucent aluminium silicate mineral, yellow, white, green, blue or colourless.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Torazzi Place
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after E. Torazzi, an agriculturalist who cared for Brinsmead's orchards in the late 19th century. He was a tobacco farmer in the mid 1880s & then moved into growing oranges for the marmalade factories down south. He was eventually engaged to manage Horace Brinsmead's citrus orchids
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 259
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Torino Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a town in Italy
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Torka Street
Innisfail. Named after one of the sugar lighters which loaded sugar at Goondi Mill
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Torokina Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Torokina is a town in PNG. The name was approved on 17 October 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Torquay Close
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Streets are named after Australian beaches in this sub-division. Torquay is a beach in Victoria.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Torres Strait
Named after the Spanish explorer, Luis Baez de Torres, who traversed the Strait in 1607. The record of his crossing was kept secret by the Spanish Government. In 1762 a copy was obtained by British hydrographer Alexander Dalrymple who then named the Strait after Torres in about 1780
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 95
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 15


Torrisi Road
Mareeba. Named circa 1981 for the Torrisi family. Sebasiano (Sam) Torrisi & his wife Rosario arrived in Mareeba in 1950 & became tobacco farmers
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 95
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Totten Street
Mareeba. Named in 1971 for Robert Joseph Totten, Private 6101, 15th Bn., Australian Infantry, killed in World War I on 11 April 1917, aged 20, in France. The son of Thomas and Priscilla Totten of Emerald Creek, Mareeba, he is buried in the Bapaune Australian Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France, grave no. B.21
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 96
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Tourmaline Close
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Streets in this subdivision are named after minerals and gemstones. Tourmaline is a boron aluminium silicate mineral of various colours possessing unusual electric properties and used as a gem.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Toy Creek
Watsonville district. Flows into the Walsh River. Named after the Toy family, who had a cattle run here. James Toy was a selector & his son Thomas (Tommy) James Toy inherited the cattle run
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 154, October 1990


Tozer Range
Cape York. Named circa 1890 by the officers of HMS Dart for Sir Horace Tozer, Colonial Secretary, 1890-1895
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 696


Tracey Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tramway Street
Innisfail. Named for the tramway which used to run into town
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 18
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Tranters Creek
Atherton Tableland, Millaa Millaa district. Named after Henry James (Jim) Tranter (1865-1947), who farmed in the area from 1919
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 33, April 1979, no 2, July 1976 & no 209, April 1996


Trappes Court
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after Major Trappes Lomax, the Commander of Z force based at the House on the Hill in Cairns during World War II
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 471
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Travolta Close
Cairns. White Rock. Streets in this subdivision are named for a motion picture theme. Named for John Travolta, born 18 February 1954, best known for his roles in Grease (1978) and Saturday Night Fever (1979) as well as Pulp Fiction in 1994
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Treacherous Bay
Darnley Island on the north west side, Torres Strait. Named on 8 July 1793 by Bampton & Alt after the crew of the ships Hormuzeer & Chesterfield were attacked by Darnley Islanders after they initially feigned friendly intent
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 119-120


Tregrosse Reefs
East of Mission Beach. Discovered by the ships Governor Farquhar & the Jessie in 1821
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 64
Coordinates:
17 47 S 150 38 E


Trevarthen Close
Mareeba. Named circa 1980 for the Trevarthen family. Mark Trevarthen (1871-1960) came to Mareeba in 1911
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 96
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Trevethan Creek
South of Cooktown. Named after Alf Trevethan, a butcher, who discovered tin here
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 424
Coordinates:
15 40 S 145 15 E


Trevethan Mountain
South of Cooktown. Named after Alf Trevethan, a butcher, who discovered tin here
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 424


Trezise Road
Port Douglas district. Named after John Trezise & his family, pioneers in the district who took up a selection of 160 acres at Spring Creek in the Mowbray valley in 1880
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Port of Promise, 1986, p. 55-56
Report of the Royal Commission into the Sugar Industry in Queensland, 1889, p. 26


Trim Court
Cairns. Edmonton. Names in the Hambledon Garden Estate commemorate people who gave more than 10 years service to the Hambledon Mill. Name approved by the Cairns City Council on 23 January 1995
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Coordinates:
17 01 S 145 45 E


Trinity Bay
See Trinity Inlet


Trinity Beach
Cairns. Suburb. Named after Trinity Bay, which was named by Captain Cook when he arrived in Trinity Bay on Sunday 10 June 1770, which was Trinity Sunday. The beach was originally known as Double Island
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 4
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trinity Inlet
Cairns. The Bay was named by Captain Cook when he arrived in Trinity Bay on Sunday 10 June 1770, which was Trinity Sunday. In Cook's words; "Which I named Trinity Bay after the day on which it was discovered". The harbour was named Trinity Harbour by Dalrymple in 1873. In September 1876 Brinsley Sheridan named the inlet Dickson Inlet after the Colonial Treasurer, but this name was only in usage for a very short period of time.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 2 and 27
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trinity Opening
Great Barrier Reef. Opposite Cairns. Named after Trinity Bay which was named by Captain Cook when he arrived in Trinity Bay on Sunday 10 June 1770, which was Trinity Sunday. The passage was first surveyed circa 1870 for access to Cairns & re-surveyed by Commander Hoskyn in HMS Myrmidon in 1887
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 389


Trinity Park
Cairns. Suburb. Named after Trinity Bay, which was named by Captain Cook when he arrived in Trinity Bay on Sunday 10 June 1770, which was Trinity Sunday.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 4
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trinity Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named after Trinity Bay in which Cairns is situated. Trinity Bay was named by Captain Cook in 1770 because he arrived there on Trinity Sunday
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 73
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tristania Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Triton Court
Port Douglas. Named after the triton shell
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Triton Street
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named for the Triton shell (Cymatiidae)
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trivia Street
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named for the Trivia shell genus, sometimes known as false cowrie shells
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trochus Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Named for the trochus shell
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trochus Court
Port Douglas. Named after the trochus shell
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Trojan Street
Innisfail. Named after a type of sugar cane
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Troughton Creek
East of Mount Molloy. Named after Ted Troughton, a teamster


Troughton Esplanade
See Esplanade


Troughton Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1928 for Ted Troughton, teamster. He settled in Mareeba in 1890
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 97
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Trucano Close
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Charlie Trucano, the first Honorary Italian Consul in Cairns
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 464
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Trundle Terrace
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Cairns City Council Shire Clark Warrick Trundle in 1983
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 73
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tryal Street
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Named after an English explorer ship. Name approved on 6 February 1989. The Tryal, commanded by John Brooke, was the first known English ship to be lost in Australian waters, striking rocks & sinking on 25 May 1622 . It was the first English ship to sight the Australian mainland (Western Australia), but they were not aware of it at the time.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105
Australian Encyclopedia vol 6, 1958, p. 160
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Tucker Street
Cairns. Machans Beach. Named after Reg Tucker who ran the service station
Source:
Rapkins, Denise. Certain Friends in Uncertain Times. A History of Machans Beach, 1995, p. 98
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tuckers' Lookout
North West of Cardwell. Named in honour of George William Tucker, born April 22, 1888. He was a well known road and railway location surveyor and worked on the Kirrama Range survey. There is a memorial in the form of a cairn and tablet erected to him at Tuckers' Lookout 10 km from the commencement of the Kirrama Range Road
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413 and 372


Tuesday Island
Torres Strait. Jack is certain it was not named by Bligh, who only named Wednesday Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 102
Coordinates:
10 33 S 142 20 E


Tuffley Close
Cairns. Kanimbla. Named after the first hairdresser, Henry Tuffley, who opened a hairdressing saloon in the city in November 1876
Source:
Cairns City Council Road Index, 1997
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 89
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tula
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal term, possum
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 14


Tulip Street
Innisfail. Named after a tree
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Tully
Named after the Tully River. Originally named the Mackay River by Francis Price Blackwood in 1843, probably after a Mr Mackay who was mentioned by Jukes as being aboard the Fly. Walter Hill named it the Macalister River in 1865. The river was named the Tully River circa 1872 by Surveyor George Phillips after Surveyor General William Alcock Tully, a member of George Dalrymple's party which explored the area in 1864. It was officially changed from the Mackay River to the Tully River in the Admiralty cartographic charts in 1889. Tully was surveyed on 10 April 1924 at a site near the Tully Mill
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413 and 410 and 14
Coordinates:
17.56 S 145.56 E


Tully Falls
The Aboriginal name was Kareeya or Carree. The river was named circa 1872 by Surveyor George Phillips after Surveyor General William Alcock Tully
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413


Tully River
Originally named the Mackay River by Francis Price Blackwood of HMS Fly in 1843, probably after a Mr Mackay who was mentioned by Jukes as being aboard the Fly. Walter Hill named it the Macalister River in 1865. The river was named circa 1872 by Surveyor George Phillips after Surveyor General William Alcock Tully and officially changed from the Mackay River to the Tully River in the Admiralty cartographic charts in 1889.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413 and 410 and 14


Tully Street
Cairns. Aeroglen/Stratford. Named after Jim P. Tully, a member of the Mulgrave Shire Council and owner of the Stratford Hotel during World War II. He died in March 1982
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tumoulin
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal name, meaning tumbling waters, springs & perennial streams
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 1


Turkey Hill
Mareeba District. Originally known as Mount Abbott, probably after the same person after whom Abbott Creek was named. Another account has it being named by John Atherton, the Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 9, July 1959
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 178


Turkinje
Siding on the Mareeba to Atherton railway. Aboriginal name for fire stick
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Turnagain Island
Torres Strait. South of Boigu. Named by Captain William Bligh on 12 September 1792. According to Nicholson it was so named because on 31 July 1793 Bampton & Alt of the Chesterfield & Hormuzear rounded this Island. Now known as Buru Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 115
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 27
Coordinates:
9 34 S 142 18 E


Turner's Road
Atherton Tableland. Tarzali District. Named after Tom Turner, who farmed here from 1910
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 18, December 1977


Turner Street
Innisfail. Named after Charles Turner, a builder
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Turquoise Close
Cairns. Bayview Heights. Streets in this subdivision are named after minerals. Turquoise is a gemstone, of a sky-blue to apple-green colour, almost opaque or sometimes translucent, consisting of hydrous phosphate of aluminium
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Turtle-Backed Island
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh on 11 September 1792 because of the shape of the Island. Now known by its local name of Yam Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 114
Coordinates:
9 53 S 142 45 E


Turtle Close
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Turtle Reef, off Cooktown, which was named by Captain James Cook in 1770. "In the evening the master returned having been seven leagues out at sea...he touched upon one of the shoals the same as he was upon the first time he was out, here he saw a great number of turtles, three of which he caught"
Source:
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 170
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Turtle Island
Northern Great Barrier Reef. Named by Captain William Bligh, presumably for the turtles found here
Source:
Gill, J.C.H. The Missing Coast, 1988, p. 112
Coordinates:
10 50 S 142 46 E


Turtle Reef
Off Cooktown. Named by Captain James Cook in 1770. "In the evening the master returned having been seven leagues out at sea...he touched upon one of the shoals the same as he was upon the first time he was out, here he saw a great number of turtles, three of which he caught"
Source:
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 170


Turulka
Siding on the Herberton to Ravenshoe railway. Aboriginal name for a freshwater mussel
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 35


Tutamonlin
See Malanda


Twelve Apostles
Cape York, Coen District. Named by Robert Logan Jack in September 1879 because there were 12 peaks in this mountain range
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 71
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 499


Two Mile Creek
Cardwell. So named because it is 2 miles south of Cardwell


Tynemouth Rock
Great Barrier Reef, Raine Island area. Named after the barque Tynemouth which passed by or touched on this rock in 1858
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 219
Coordinates:
11 47 S 143 32 E


Tyrie Close
Cairns. Earlville. Named after Dr. Baxter Tyrie, Government Health Officer in Cairns from 1909 to at least 1914
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Tyson's Landing
Tully District. Named after James Tyson who in 1879 purchased 20 000 acres of land in the district. Tyson's Landing was the spot on the Tully River where the stores for his property were offloaded.
Source:
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 59


Uhrstown
Town on the Palmer River Goldfield. Named after Warden C.H. Uhr. Established in the 1874 gold rush, it was ruins by 1896
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 107
Coordinates:
16 3 S 144 32 E


Umai Lag
Yam Island, Torres Strait. Dog's Place. So called because when this part of the village was still bush it contained a shrine to the dog totem
Source:
Teske, Travis. Yam, 198-, p. 8
Coordinates:
9 53 S 142 45 E


Undine Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Undine Reef, east of Cape Tribulation
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Undine Street
Port Douglas. Named after Undine Reef, east of Cape Tribulation
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Unity Street
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Unity Reef, south of Wangetti Beach
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Universal Close
Cairns. White Rock. Streets in this subdivision are named for a motion picture theme. Named for Universal Studios, a leading film studio in Hollywood
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Upolu Cay
Great Barrier Reef, north east of Cairns. Originally named Oyster Cay in 1849 when HMS Bramble anchored offshore. Named changed after the Schooner Upolu, owned by William Pitts of Sydney, was wrecked here on 25 April 1886. The supply ship Upolu which was requisitioned by the Australian Government for service in World War I was named after the Cay & not the other way around! Michaelmas Cay & Upolu Cay were declared a single national park in 1975.
Source:
Williams, Mary. Mulgrave Shire Historical Bulletin no. 72, October 1984
Edwards, Ron. Sailing Ships of Cairns, 1997, p. 22
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 50


Upolu Esplanade
Cairns. Clifton Beach. Named after Upolu Cay which was named after the Schooner Upolu, owned by William Pitts of Sydney, which was wrecked here on 25 April 1886. The supply ship Upolu which was requisitioned by the Australian Government for service in World War I was named after the Cay & not the other way around! Michaelmas Cay & Upolu Cay were declared a single national park in 1975.
Source:
Williams, Mary. Mulgrave Shire Historical Bulletin no. 72, October 1984
Edwards, Ron. Sailing Ships of Cairns, 1997, p. 22
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Upper Miles Street
See Miles Street


Upper Perkins Street
See Perkins Street


Upward Street
Cairns. City/Parramatta Park. Named after George Upward, an early shipping agent from late 1876 and a storekeeper. He owned a sawmill in Upward street for a short time in the late 1870s. He also owned the vessel Fitzroy, which he purchased from W.B. Ingham. When the Cairns economy slumped he left the district
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 149
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Ussher Point
Eastern Cape York Peninsula, north of Shelburne Bay. Named for Captain James Ussher, captain of the A.U.S.N., SS Corea which was shipwrecked here on 10 August 1893 on Eel Reef near Portland Roads. At the time it was piloted by Captain J. Graham. Captain Ussher of the A.U.S.N. was later appointed a Torres Strait Pilot on 23 August 1898
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 276
Foley, John C.H. Reef Pilots, 1982, p. 47 & 49
Coordinates:
11 09 S 142 48 E


Vale of Herbert
West of Ingham. Named by Dalrymple in 1863 after Herbertvale. Herbertvale was originally known as the Bamboo's.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 301


Vallack Point
Cape York Peninsula, east of Somerset. Named after Dr. Adoniah Vallack
Source:
Liddell, Rodney. Cape York: The Savage Frontier, p. 271


Vallely Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after the Vallely family who owned the land & ran a butcher shop at Redlynch for many years
Source:
Benfer, John. A History of Freshwater, 1995, p. 45
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Valley of Lagoons
West of Ingham. Named by Ludwig Leichardt in 1845 due to there being a chain of lagoons there
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413


Van Diemen Inlet
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named by Abel Tasman in 1644 for Anthony Van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies
Source:
Kenny, John. Before The First Fleet, 1995, p. 155


Vandeleur Street
Cairns. Earlville. Named after the property owner
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vandeluer Street
Innisfail. Named after Monsignor V. Vandeluer, Catholic Priest
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 21
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Varese Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a town in Italy
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Varley Street
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named after Luicie Marcella Varley, who owned the land where Yorkeys Knob is situated from 1920. Matron Varley, as she was known, opened the first hotel in Yorkeys Knob in the 1920s
Source:
Williams, Mary T. The Knob: a history of Yorkey's Knob, 1988, p. 35
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vaughan Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1934 for William Vaughan, carpenter & the first funeral director in Mareeba
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 99
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Veivers Close
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after the Chief Draftsman of the Cairns City Council, Mr. Vivian Hector Veivers (1940-1975).
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Name Origins. 1993, P. 74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Veivers Road
Cairns. Palm Cove. Named after the Veivers family who owned a cane farm on the southern side of the road. Vivian Hector Veivers was the Chief Draftsman of the Cairns City Council, 1940-1975. He was born on 8 June 1915 and died on 13 June 1980. Walter Hill Veivers moved his family to Freshwater in 1883 & with Toohey operated the first bullock teams in the district pulling timber from the southern side of Trinity Inlet. later he was to settle in the Clohesy River valley as a timber getter.
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Palm Cove Happy, Close Community. Cairns Sun, 20 August 1997, p. 11
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 372, September 1991
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Veivers Street
Kuranda. Named after the Veivers family, pioneers in the district. In 1883 Walter Hill Veivers settled on the Speewah homestead
Source:
Humston, S. Kuranda: The Village in the Rainforest 1888-1988, p. 21
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Velma Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Velution Street
Innisfail. Named after a racehorse owned by R. Dillon (misspelt Volition)
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Venables Street
Ingham. Named for an Hinchinbrook Shire Councillor, G. Venables
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E


Venezia Street
Cairns. Woree. Named after a town in Italy, Venice
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vianen Close
Cairns. Edmonton. Queerah. Name approved in 1989. Named after an early ship.
Source:
Cairns City Council file no 52105.
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Vic Crawfords Lookout
See Crawfords Lookout


Vic Sivyer Bridge
Named to honour Vic Sivyer, a councillor and prominent citizen. He arrived in Innisfail in 1915. The bridge is over the Johnstone River at South Johnstone. He was prominent in the 1927 sugar industry strike
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74


Victoria Parade
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Named in honour of Queen Victoria
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Victoria Rocks
Albert River, Burketown District. Named after the steamship Victoria, skippered by Commander Norman in the Gulf in the early 1860s


Victoria Street
Cairns. Parramatta Park. Named after the S.S. Victoria, which was the ship on which lunch was held to celebrate the declaration of Cairns as a port of entry on 1 November 1876
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 74
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Victoria Street
Atherton. Named for Queen Victoria
Coordinates:
17 16 S 145 29 E


Victory Creek
Innisfail District. Sometimes known as Alligator Creek. Named in 1181 after the ship Victory, which it was claimed could navigate the creek
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 75


Vidar Street
Innisfail. Named after a type of sugar cane
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Vigilant Channel
Torres Strait. Named after HMAS Vigilant who surveyed the area between Sue & Bet Islets in June 1944
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 339


Viola Close
Cairns. Woree. Streets in this part of Woree are named after girl's Christian names.
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Violet Street
Cairns. Mooroobool. In an estate where streets have a floral theme
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 75
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vivian Close
Cairns. Westcourt. Named after the Chief Draftsman of the Cairns City Council, Vivian Hector Veivers from 1940-1975
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 75
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vlasoff Cay
East of Wangetti Beach. Named after Vince Vlasoff, who built the underwater observatory on Green Island & salvaged the cannons thrown overboard from Captain James Cook's Endeavour


Vohland Road
South of Cairns, Charinga Area. Named for Con Vohland, a cane hauler
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 98, June 1987


Volute Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a nautical theme. Volute shell
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Vulcan Street
Cairns. Aeroglen. Named after the Vulcan Foundry
Source:
Cairns Historical Society listing, 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E

No comments:

Post a Comment