The Telegraph (Brisbane), Monday, 13 December 1897, p. 5
HON. JOHN DOUGLAS: An Interesting Interview: Japanese
Problems: New Guinea Questions.
The Government Resident of Thursday Island, Hon. John
Douglas, C.M.G., who has been spending a few days in the city, courteously
consented to receive a representative of the Telegraph in his quarters
at the Belle Vue Hotel, on Saturday afternoon last. The interview, which was
the object of the visit, easily extended itself into an hour’s conversation
touching a variety of subjects, and this is considered to have been of such an
interesting character that it is here repeated in extenso.
“I came by the Arawatta,” said Mr. Douglas, by way of
preliminary, “on a short visit, partly for health’s sake and partly for
business. I find the tropical climate of Thursday Island rather trying, and it
is almost necessary that one should have a spell occasionally. I have enjoyed
the relaxation very much, short as it has been. I propose to leave again on
Monday, but am not certain yet whether that will be possible.”
“May I trouble you for some information as to the condition
of the pearling industry at Thursday Island?”
“We have had a very good season. The last two indeed have
been very favourable: 1895 was a desperately bad year, 1896 was fairly good,
and 1897 has probably been the best season we have ever had as far as the yield
of shell is concerned. The quantity will probably be the largest ever gathered,
and the prices lately have remained very satisfactory. Everyone engaged in the
industry is well satisfied. The place is prosperous, and a good deal of
building is in progress. We hope shortly to have cold storage and iceworks,
which will place us in possession of many luxuries which we now lack. The
buildings and plant will, it is expected, be ready at the end of January. We
have of course to pay a high price for meat—6d. per lb. Our cattle we obtain
from Normanton, and sheep from Townsville. I may mention that the tick plague
seems to have passed away altogether from the Gulf country, and we hear very
little about it now. We have lately been getting very good beef. I believe with
the good prices and excellent results the islanders are more than satisfied
with the season.”
“How has the fixing of the 5-inch standard been received by
the pearlers?”
“They have quite settled down now to the 5-inch standard,
which seems to work satisfactorily. Some people seem to think it will have a
prejudicial effect upon the future of the beds. I am inclined to think that it
will not. At any rate under the 6-inch rule there was no much waste of 5-inch
shell, which was opened and thrown away, that it is really better to accept all
above 5 inches instead of allowing the smaller shell to be destroyed as used to
be done. A good quantity of 5 inch shell is now coming into the market, and
that of course adds considerably to the aggregate yield.”
“Referring now to the question of Japanese immigration. Have
you observed any favourable effects from the action of the Government in
endeavouring to restrict the influx?”
“I think it has somewhat subsided. There was a fear that we
were going to be inundated with Japanese, but the result of the correspondence
between our Government and the Government of Japan is that it has been clearly
laid down that the Japanese authorities are not anxious that their people
should emigrate except in accordance with our wishes. If we require them we can
get them in any number. If we do not require them the Japanese Government will
not try to force them upon us. There are a few still coming in, without
passports, from Hongkong, and they are not a very desirable class, especially
the women. They are, strictly speaking, contraband, as far as the Japanese
Government is concerned. They are not allowed to leave Japan, but are smuggled
out and brought on from Hongkong. The evil is an increasing one, and ought to
be checked. If it is not, my own impression is that all the coast towns will
receive contingents of these Japanese ladies, who, though they behave very
properly, are not a desirable addition to our population.”
“Has your experience of the Japanese settlers generally been
favourable?”
“So far as their industry is concerned, yes. They are hard
working, most industrious, well behaved, orderly, and obedient. They are not,
however, quite truthful. They do not understand exactly what truth is, I think.
They are not very sensitive to the conditions of absolute candour. As citizens
they are very orderly and quiet.”
“Are not their native habits and customs preserved in the
new communities?”
“Amongst the respectable Japanese I do not think there is
any great looseness of morals, if that is how I understand the question. I know
that the best Japanese on the island deprecate the immoral establishments we
have there. These, unfortunately, are increasing instead of decreasing.”
“Do not the Japanese form the greater proportion of the
inhabitants of Thursday Island?”
“Not exactly the greater proportion—still a considerable
proportion. I fancy there must be about 300 on the island. We generally take a
census every year, and our returns of course show a very mixed population.
Still we have a fair proportion of Europeans. The European children are
increasing in numbers, and there appears to be no want of vitality amongst
them. The average attendance at the public schools is larger than it has ever
been. It is now about 100. Besides the public school there are a Roman Catholic
and one or two private schools. There are hardly any Japanese children. There
are a few amongst the Manilla people, and I think a considerable number of
half-caste binghi—it is a term applied to the natives of the mainland. Amongst
the boats there are representatives of every nationality in the world, I
suppose.”
“Then you think the action of the Government has been
effectual in stemming the immigration. May I ask how the Japs regard the matter
themselves?”
“Yes, the arrangement made with the Japanese Government has
affected us. I do not anticipate any inroad of Japanese; and, in fact, I have
not the slightest doubt that the immigration can be controlled. As to your
second question, I may say that I think they are beginning to feel that
attention is being directed to their numbers, and I imagine they are not quite
so satisfied of their position as formerly. No doubt the report laid upon the
table of the House by the commission which was appointed to investigate this
matter will lead to legislation next session on the Japanese question.
Legislation will be necessary, I believe, to give effect to the recommendations
of the commission.”
“Is not there a distinct objection amongst the Japs
themselves to be considered as coloured aliens, and treated as such?”
“I think there is. I must say I do not, myself, ever treat
the Japanese as what you would call coloured people. I regard them as far the
most intelligent and civilised of the Asiatic races we have to deal with. There
are gentlemen amongst them who have proved intellectually quite our equals.”
“Do they openly resent interference with their immigration?”
“There is an opportunity for a good deal of trade between
Japan and Australia, but I do not think the Australian people would regard with
equanimity the settlement of any large number of Japanese here. As yet,
however, there has been no sign of what may be called colonisation on the part
of the Japanese. There are no women amongst them, and very few who are
recognised as wives. There are some, but not many. Where the immigration is
simply that of males it cannot be considered as a lasting element in our population.
They do, as you say, draw a marked distinction between themselves and coloured
aliens, and I am not surprised at it. I believe them to be superior to other
Asiatics.”
“Do you think their ambition would go in the direction of
political power?”
“That we should regard as a very great objection, I think.
They could not obtain electoral privileges unless they qualified as British
subjects, and at present there are no Japanese who have so qualified that I am
aware of. A Japanese the other day applied for naturalisation in Thursday
Island, and he in every respect deserved it, being a married man and a
respectable and intelligent citizen. He understands English and reads and
writes well, but his naturalisation papers were declined on the principle, I believe,
that it is not intended to grant further naturalisation to any Asiatic aliens.
Different provisions apply, of course, as between European and Asiatic aliens.”
Speaking of New Guinea matters, Mr. Douglas said he had
expected to accompany Sir William MacGregor to Brisbane in the Merrie
England, but business took the latter gentleman to the western districts of
the possession, and his visit south had perforce to be postponed. The Merrie
England, Mr. Douglas believed, was to return in order to bring Sir William
to Brisbane.
In reply to a question as to whether Sir William MacGregor
was likely to continue his administration on the island, Mr. Douglas replied:
“I saw Sir William lately when he was in the western district of British
Guinea. I can only say, in reply to your question, that I do not think so at
all; he is not likely to remain there for another term. He has done his work,
and it has been a work that very few men could have done. I think he feels the
strain of 10 years’ hard work in a tropical country, and is satisfied that he
cannot go on much longer with it.”
“When does the present agreement end?”
“I believe in August next.”
“Are you aware of any arrangement being made for carrying on
the administration should Sir William resign on the expiry of his term?”
“To that question I can simply say, ‘No, I am not.’ But,
having taken a great interest in New Guinea affairs, I think it is quite time
that steps were taken to arrange for what is to be the future of British New
Guinea. I am satisfied that the Imperial Government will not undertake the
administration, though a good deal might be said in favour of it. I think,
however, that the home Government from the very outset have regarded the New
Guinea question as so intimately connected with Australia and the wishes of
Australians that I do not think that they will have anything much to do with
it. I do not believe, at any rate, that they will contribute in the form of a
subsidy towards the maintenance of the administration. The question will be,
very shortly, Who is to undertake it? The revenue derived from taxation in New
Guinea is not in itself sufficient to carry out the system which has been
established. It must be supplemented for a time at least, and naturally we
should look to the Australian colonies to shoulder the responsibility of the
annexation of the territory which was made at their suggestion.
“Hitherto the contributing colonies have done so willingly
at the instigation of Queensland, and under the administration of the
Government of Queensland. We may hope, I think, that they will continue to do
so. If that is to be the case it is manifest that some arrangement ought very
soon to be made which will take effect at the time of the expiry of the
agreement. It is just possible that the hitherto contributing colonies may
hesitate to continue their contributions. I hope not, and I think they are bound
in honour to continue them. Rather than that there should be any hesitation
about it, I think Queensland itself might properly undertake the whole of the
responsibility. This colony is no doubt more directly interested in the
maintenance of authority and in the proper administration of affairs in British
New Guinea than any of the Australian, though they were all deeply interested
in the annexation, chiefly in consequence of the commanding influence it would
give were it to fall into the hands of a foreign Power. That argument remains,
and we may all hope it will be recognised. There is at all times, however, so
much difficulty in getting anything like united action, and the hopes we have
hitherto entertained with regard to federation being not very bright at the
present time, we may have to contemplate undertaking direct responsibility in
New Guinea, and I do not think Queensland should shrink from it. Indeed if the
Queensland Government were frankly to state that they themselves were prepared
to undertake the government, I think it is probable that the hitherto
contributing colonies would more readily meet them than if there is to be any
haggling and bargaining about it.”
In the course of further conversation the rapid rise of the
Japanese nation formed a topic. “I regard the rising of the Japanese
nationality as a very interesting feature in the future civilisation of the
Pacific,” said Mr. Douglas. “I also regard the Japanese as likely to be on very
friendly terms with Great Britain, politically and internationally. I think,
though the Japanese will undoubtedly be our commercial rivals eventually in the
Pacific. We shall have to be prepared for possible conditions of that rivalry
which may even in time lead to some difficulty in the Pacific. That ought not,
however, to be anticipated. The Japanese will be friendly. They have no desire
to force themselves upon us. They have ample scope for their enterprise
elsewhere, either look to the extension of their power in the Malay
Archipelago, Formosa, and possibly Manilla.”