Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Douglas appointed to the Executive Council February 1866

The Guardian (Brisbane), 6 February 1866, p. 1

GENTLEMEN,— I have, to day, accepted a seat at the Executive Council in the administration formed by Mr. Macalister, on Mr Herbert’s resignation.

The position assigned to me as the representative of the new Government in the Legislative Council renders it necessary that I should resign my seat in the Assembly. This I do with great regret, for I have always received, if I have not always merited, your very kind consideration, and it has required some resolution on my part to forego the privilege of still continuing to be your representative.

With Mr. Herbert’s resignation a new period commences; and I now join the administration formed by Mr. Macalister in the hope that I may contribute to maintain the honor, and secure the prosperity of the colony.

The public mind is no longer divided on the railway question, as it was during the sessions of 1863 and 1864. At that time, in common with Mr. Mackenzie and some other members of Parliament, who were far from wishing to offer resistance to measures calculated to develop the internal resources of the country, I took a part in the opposition to the adoption of the unusually narrow gauge which then appeared to be unsupported by sufficient experience.

I was also decidedly of opinion that the debt incurred by the formation of these useful works might have been made chargeable against the districts specially benefitted by their construction; and that the proceeds of the land sold in those districts might have provided the means of liquidating the interest and capital amount of the liability created. It seemed to me that the conflicting claims of the various portions of a great territory might thus have been satisfied.

A different policy, however, prevailed; one which, in the opinion of Parliament, is calculated to secure with greater rapidity the benefits which the colony will most undoubtedly derive from the formation of iron highways. The large expenditure thus authorised has stimulated enterprise, and, concurrently with our immigration system, has contributed to our remarkable progress.

The policy of all colonies indeed is more or less directed to the introduction of surplus capital and population from the old world; and there is no more effectual way of doing this than by providing facilities for its transport by sea and land. The conduct of immigration, like that of an army of occupation, requires that its lines of communication should be kept open. Nothing, therefore, should be allowed to menace these. The works we have commenced are not likely seriously to overtask our strength; the resources of this territory are surely sufficient to justify the construction of railways from Ipswich and from Rockhampton—two places so manifestly pointed out by nature as starting points for the interior. They are surely sufficient to justify the preliminary steps which have been taken for opening out steam postal communication through Torres Straits. The extension or completion of those projects must, of course be gradual, and will be measured by the means at our command; but it is not in the execution of works like these that I should be disposed to advise the adoption of a fallacious economy which might dwarf our expanding energies.

It is in the large annual expenditure for the ordinary purposes of government, and in the serious amounts required for country roads, and for the improvement of our river navigation, that I recognise our departure from strict principles of economy.

The country roads may, in accordance with the practice elsewhere, be supported by municipal taxation; the harbors and rivers by trust dues; and, if, at the same time, a willingness be manifested to balance the ordinary revenue and expenditure without having recourse to excessive taxation, we may fairly expect to retain the confidence of the English capitalists who lend us money, and who will continue to lend us what we require if we only show them that we are making a good use of our opportunities and are anxious to sustain our credit.

I regret that I shall not have it in my power to address you on these and many other matters of public interest; our relations have always been of such a friendly nature, that it would have afforded me great pleasure to have had an opportunity of resigning to you in person a trust which has not, I hope, been unfaithfully discharged.

My services are still at your command, and, though I am not called upon to undertake duties which require from me an active discharge of administrative functions, I trust that the influential position in which I have been placed may conduce to my experience, and may render me more capable of being useful to my fellow-colonists.—I am, gentlemen, your most obedient servant,

JOHN DOUGLAS.

Brisbane, February 1, 1866.